243 falling to other 6mm?

nastynatesfish

Is the lowly 243 falling off the block? I'm not talking AI or any other hot rodded case manipulations, just5)3 ole 243 win.
I have an offer for a 1970s bdl varmint 243. 24" barrel laminate stock. He's looking at what he has to add to get closer to trade value. I've had a couple (2) 243s and just never really got into them. I just want something that I can take to the range and run and also carry around for varmint or maybe deer. I've got other rifles for both but I'm just bored with the 308. He's got some loaded 95gr Berger rounds and a looking at trading my 308 bullets for some 105 6mms

I don't see why the .243 would be losing its appeal to everyone. It'll always be one of my favorite calibers to shoot. They don't kick hard and have the power to kill elk regularly (although I have not). I'd figure the regular old .243 would be cheaper and easier to shoot and reload than one of the other wildcat type manipulations.

It is holding it's own your just running with gun loonies and we've been bored with it for a long time, it does just what it is suppose to and who wants just that.

The .243 will always be around since its just about the perfect smll-medium game round there is.
Sure you have all the 6br/6xc/6-284/6x6.8 variations and every other 6mm combo, BUT the basic, simple to reload, easy to shoot .243 will be there at the end over the rest.

All depends on how you roll. If you dont reload, then 243 is your medium bore baby. If you do reload, then there are better options. I have a 6mm Rem and would never trade it for a 243. I also had a 243 that I re barreled to 6x47L, and not at all sorry I did it.

I was so bored with the 243 Win, I never bought one.
grin.gif

I am a big fan of the 6mm Rem. over the 243 Win. Who needs
a short necked case capacity challenged escapee from the
308 family, when one can have the big solid 7x57 case,
necked down to 6mm, with a big old long neck. I hand load
so ammo availability is never an issue. If I want to go
lighter than the 6mm Rem., for the 6mm, I pull out the tack
driving 6mm WOA. Kind of a cute little puppy that likes to
make one ragged hole groups, with 6mm bullets...Yup put me in
the "Don't have a 243, and don't want a 243" camp.

Squeeze

I'm in the other boat. Have had a 243 for almost 35yrs now. It has been rebarrelled. I also picked up a r25 in 243 a few years ago. And won't be with out one. But My go to 6mm is the 6mmWOA. It will flat out shoot and they are super easy to reload for.

The 243 is quite possibly the best round ever created easy to load for super accurate able to shoot bullets from 55-115. What's not to like fast and flat. I have always had one and always will. I have hunted deer with mine for over 20 years now and have killed a pile of them and piles and piles of coyotes.

Back