Starting a new hunting dog.

I hate skunks. I will go out of my way to kill everyone I can. I've pulled over while driving and got out and shot them in the ditch with a 1911 more than a few times.

While trapping I do catch a ton some years and harvest the "essense" and use it for long distance call lures for cats, k9s, fisher, ect. I get a couple whiskey bottles worth each year. In my experience skunks are rather passive mild tempered animals that just want to be left alone. I watched them at bear baits eating along side bear and coons with never a fuss but I've caught/shot more than a few coyotes that have reeked of skunk so it must be something between k9s and skunks. I know coyotes love to eat the carcases off the pile each year and will dig through a layer of coon to find one. I only have been sprayed with dogs around and have never been sprayed while euthanizing them with a painters pole and syringe even thought I Trap 100 to every one the dogs catch(with the exception of house hunting terriers, some years those little sob's can really find skunks.)

I've tried breaking dogs using the Wick method but just when you think they are solid, you find out your wrong. I had a terrier killed by skunk in a coyote den before. I hate them. Only think I hate more is porcupines. My dogs seem to be irresistibly draw to both.

You can almost smell the video. Takes a certain type of guy to stand there and encourage his dogs to rag a skunk. Lol.

Tim

I hate em too! Stinking suckers make my dog box stink. I have no idea why a dog would want to kill one. I never encourage a dog to kill one, just don't punish them as long as it's on their time.

Doesn't the S in Shampton stand for "Skunk"....???
wink.gif

My hunting truck has a plume of aroma from spring thaw until they hibernate in the fall. All my dog boxes have a signature aroma all their own. A fine mix of bear crap, skunk essense, and otter puke. My dogs love all three. I think they may be happiest with bear crap blue racing stripes, skunk breath, and a collar full of decomposing otter puke. It's truly a thing of beauty.

Tim

How come the jagds and jagd crosses always look happy after getting in it with a porky? Like they accomplished something or a porky is a worthy opponent.

Quills might hurt but my dogs usually go back for a second helping.

Tim

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZInteresting reading.

One thing for sure is the passion and conviction everyone.

Decoy Dog, if nothing else is a very broad term and it seems everyone has a different take on it. I understand that some depending on where they live have different expectations about what a dog is and where it falls in their family.
I do not buy working dogs. Others may.. But I am looking for a pet. I live in a large city and getting somewhere to hunt takes an hour, or more (it's not uncommon for me to drive 4 hours somewhere). My truck is 4yrs old and has 93K miles and i live a mile from work. The terrain also can be tough, and dictate different styles. As others were saying they like their dogs to get out there, while some may want them to stay close.

The first thing, I would think, that a dog owner needs to do is figure out, do you want a working dog, or a pet? What do you want the dog to do on stand?

Since i live in a city, and don't have close hunting, i would take the dog to the dog park where she could play and run, a tired puppy is a good thing. The park here is about 2 acres, fenced. She would run out, chase the dogs a bit, and then get them to chase her, and come back to me. There were times when a dog would get to rough and she learned how to deal with that. A coyote isn't going to be forgiving.

Since i don't hunt every day and typically less than 60 days a year I wanted a behaved dog that was a pet first and a hunting buddy second. On stand, she would stay within 50 yards and usually sit near me and look for coyotes, and occassionally start howling and barking with/at the call. She would run out to coyotes, but then come back.. I didn't want her off chasing them where i couldn't see her, as that wasn't what i wanted. The area around here is full of washes and such and a puppy could get into trouble and i wouldn't have a way to protect her. A dead dog does no good.
my personal goal was to have a dog that would be a second set of eye's, keep the attention off me, and help sell my stands.. She did that very well. The biggest reason i got her was to sit on stand with me, and help me find the dead ones. Out here, you shoot one or two on a stand, and it can take some time to recover them. having a dog that i can put in the general area of the coyote, and find it quickly, would save me hours of time a year. Time that i would rather be calling in more, on the days That i do hunt. I don't live in rural area's, i don't have a job where i am out in the field all the time, and wish I could.. But, on the times that i am out, I would rather have that dog with me, then most people i know.
I kill an average of 25 coyotes a year, and liked having the dog. I skin out the coyotes, and sell the pelts despite knowing that it's really not worth it here in AZ, but it's good experience, and i enjoy it. There are a lot of guys here that have their ways they do things, and it works for them. Each of us have to pick and choose what works for us. Read, listen, discover all the different styles and find what works for you, and try not to desparage others. Lifes to short to get mad at someone because they don't do things the way you do.

+1

My closest hunting grounds are 2 hours away, as stated above, my dogs go too the park because that is the only place to take them when they don't have top be on a leash. I don't have the luxury of walking out my back door and step into the mountains.

As far as a dog learning BAD HABITS? That is something the dog OWNER is supposed to watch out for. My dogs spend very little time engaging with other dogs at the park, in fact they get bored with most of them and they begin (Brothers) to chase each other around the 5 acre dog park. This park has 2 sides to it. Most of the time the park on the Right (West) see's very little traffic. When they get bored wit the East side I ask them if they want to go to the other side, they then run up to the gate and then we take a couple laps around the West side. If they still want to run etc... we go back to the East side and do a couple laps. I get a good work out and they get a good workout. They are two of the best mannered dogs I have see at this park and their are 100's of dogs that pass through there.

So for those of you that want to bust some chops on the Dog Park? Don't knock it until you have tried it, it's all we have that is not a 2 hour drive away!!

It is the only place within an hours drive that your dog doesn't need to be leashed, I for one do not like to have my pups leashed. They are doing just fine with out them.

I also looked for camping sites that were dog friendly, no camping sites allow your dog to be off a leash. It's the Liberal way I guess in this state.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Poppadopalis

+1

My closest hunting grounds are 2 hours away, as stated above, my dogs go too the park because that is the only place to take them when they don't have top be on a leash. I don't have the luxury of walking out my back door and step into the mountains.

As far as a dog learning BAD HABITS? That is something the dog OWNER is supposed to watch out for. My dogs spend very little time engaging with other dogs at the park, in fact they get bored with most of them and they begin (Brothers) to chase each other around the 5 acre dog park. This park has 2 sides to it. Most of the time the park on the Right (West) see's very little traffic. When they get bored wit the East side I ask them if they want to go to the other side, they then run up to the gate and then we take a couple laps around the West side. If they still want to run etc... we go back to the East side and do a couple laps. I get a good work out and they get a good workout. They are two of the best mannered dogs I have see at this park and their are 100's of dogs that pass through there.

So for those of you that want to bust some chops on the Dog Park? Don't knock it until you have tried it, it's all we have that is not a 2 hour drive away!!

It is the only place within an hours drive that your dog doesn't need to be leashed, I for one do not like to have my pups leashed. They are doing just fine with out them.

I also looked for camping sites that were dog friendly, no camping sites allow your dog to be off a leash. It's the Liberal way I guess in this state.

I have strict leash laws in my area, but I just don't care and don't follow them. I take the dogs to vacant lots in my area or sports fields and let them run when I am not able to hunt often. I have had a few people make comments to me and get mad that my dogs are not on leashes and running "wild". Whenever people come around with my dogs off leash I make them lay down wherever they are until the people pass by. So when those people make comments, I will remind them that my dogs are under my control at all times (leash or not) and just because their little [beeep]-head dogs have no obedience doesn't mean my dogs should have to suffer.

I can only have one dog, and chose one from a leggy/athletic dam and sire. Your videos are amazing in that your dogs can just stay out there working; eventually bringing them closer. They are comfortable. This seems to be the time when most people are unsure of what will happen. 2 females, or a male and female certainly look like an ideal pair out there working and creating chaos for the coyote. It does always look like chasing, but a brewing dog conflict that moves closer and closer to the coyote hunters.

Thank you for this education, even I hear what you are saying about avoiding matter of fact statements regarding dogs and coyote hunting.

-Brian

My novice mind is also worrying the solo dog won't run back early enough, or run them too much without a signal. Maybe that's not how it works. Maybe even a green dog will feel unnerved when they start playing their chase and nip game. I will have a 1 year old dog by next spring, and am up trying to plan on how not to screw this up.

Last edited:
Back