Barrel break in

Jimeswa

I've got a stag arms barrel ordered supposed to be on the truck headed my way. Anyone have suggestions on how to break in a new stanless steel barrel? Before I had to go to a public range and I would fire a round and run a patch fire two run a patch. Fire three run a patch continue down this path until I reached 10. I have some factory Hornady 55 grain V-Max to push through it even though it's not going to shoot that light of a bullet when done. I've only broken in one rifle barrel before and it was on a Remington SPS in 223. Any pointers would be great.

Last edited:
1. Throughly clean the whole gun inside and out.
2. Load weapon
3. Point in a safe direction
4. Shoot until you react full erection
5. Gun is now fully broken in
6. Dont believe in myths

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 2231. Throughly clean the whole gun inside and out.
2. Load weapon
6. Dont believe in myths

F-(kn good info... I've been doing this shiet wrong all this time...
thumbup1.gif

I think you should continue your regimen as is, only doubling the amount of patches between shot strings and cutting your shot strings in half. Also it has been proven that to effectively break in a right handed weapon, the procedure must be performed left handed and vice versa. Of course all of this is moot if it is a "Bull" barrel, in which case a sacrificial chicken is involved in the process. Let me know if you need a witch doctor to complete the ritual, I have one on speed dial and his rates are reasonable.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTSpit my coffee out when the video first played.

There was a problem though - he only broke in one side of the rifle. You figure it shoots to the left now?
smile.gif

Over the years i have done or not done it about every way i can think of. Some of those barrels did need help simply because of the chatter marks in the barrel, some were made better and didn't.

At this point i just do what the barrel maker says and let it go at that, stag makes a good hunting type barrel and if you do it their way you have something to fall back on if theres a problem.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 2231. Throughly clean the whole gun inside and out.
2. Load weapon
6. Dont believe in myths

This.

Originally Posted By: kwg020D pollard
Was that a 7x08 by any chance?

kwg

I have no idea. I found that video on youtube a long while ago. Not my vid. Just thought it was funny. Like the OP, I had once posted about barrel break in but have since decided that it's not for me.

OK
I know that guy from another forum. As I recall he has a thing for 7x08. He was asked not to come back to the forum as it seems he rubbed some folks wrong but he is a good shooter and seems to know his stuff. kwg

Use the search function and find numerous threads on this subject.
I am a little `different` I guess.. I think there may be some benefits to the shoot and clean thing.

In my last post regarding this subject, I re-read my post and felt like some might come to the conclusion that I believe one could obtain the quality of a hand-lapped barrel by shooting and cleaning.
Not the case, but still for me, I will continue...hey, it `floats my boat`...lol

One thing that I feel most will find hard to disagree on, is that you should use a bore guide and quality one piece cleaning rod for any cleaning chores.

They didn't supply us with a one piece cleaning rod for our M16s when I was in military ! Never owned on myself.

My cleaning rods all break down & work fine.

Barrels are like tires, the more you use them the quicker they wear. Now picture this, you go buy a nice set of racing tires(barrel for your 223) for your (insert muscle car here)(rifle). Now before the tire guys let you go out the door the tell you that ever day prior to driving the car you need break those tires in with a long burn out session, what would you think? I know I wouldn't listen. The same goes for barrels, once upon a time there was a smart man who thought, he11 I can make some more money by including a "break in procedure". Simple enough. If it's a quality barrel that's been lapped and the tooling marks removed, there is no need to wear your barrel out some more.

Adam

Larry is a lot like most other "Ol'Salts" on every other forum. Once you get past the prickly exterior, there is a wealth of information to be learned.

Chupa

Back