speer .224 varmint hp or speer .224 TNT hp

Spike

Looking for a coyote bullet for my 22-250. I bought the speer 52gr hp varmint and it shot well out of my rifle. I went to buy another box and the salesman said from his experience that the 50gr hp TNT performed better on coyotes. has any one had any experience on coyotes with either of these two bullet types?
thanks spike

Originally Posted By: SpikeLooking for a coyote bullet for my 22-250. I bought the speer 52gr hp varmint and it shot well out of my rifle. I went to buy another box and the salesman said from his experience that the 50gr hp TNT performed better on coyotes. has any one had any experience on coyotes with either of these two bullet types?
thanks spike

With the 22-250, you would be better served with the 55gr TNT. The 50 is designed for lower velocities, and will often splash on coyotes at 22-250 velocities.

While not the latest and greatest the 52gr Speer HP FB is very versatile, I load it in my 222, 5.6x50R and 22-250, one of my favorites. It seems to shoot well in everything.

Originally Posted By: SpikeLooking for a coyote bullet for my 22-250. I bought the speer 52gr hp varmint and it shot well out of my rifle. I went to buy another box and the salesman said from his experience that the 50gr hp TNT performed better on coyotes. has any one had any experience on coyotes with either of these two bullet types?
thanks spike

I've used tons of both the 50 and 52 on small things, never on a coyote. Out of a 14" twist .223 either will blow a groundsquirrel or prairie dog to pieces. I knew one guy who swore by the TNT in a 221 on squirrels, at much slower velocity. Through a very smooth 14" twist 223AI the TNT is fine to about 3750, any faster and accuracy drops way off. It's a flat base bullet with probably a soft core and it just doesn't like the extra pressure......a BK or BT are fine with more velocity. I don't know how fast you can push the 50TNT but through a 22-250AI, also 14" twist and very smooth, they all come apart 30' from the muzzle. Try 'em in your std. 22-250 and see. I think either bullet would tear big entrance holes in a coyote if it hit bone.

the 52gr speer with 38grs of h380 shoots good in my 1-12 twist 22-250 axis, but from what I read they may be iffy on coyotes. so I tried 55gr nosler with 38grs of h380 with a col the same as the vmax in the hornady book. I experienced tight bolt lift on two shots with once fired win cases that were neck sized. 38grs of h380 is the starting load listed in the hodgdon load manual. I'm using rcbs dies and don't know why the bolt lift should be tight with a starting load. is there some thing that I'm missing? the Winchester factory loads with 55gr bullets shoot excellent and when I neck size them and shoot 55gr nosler with the 38gr load the bolt lift is tight. thanks spike

Back