Tuff dog on a tail

NoName1

Not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing for training, but Tuff dog is having fun with it. Worked him a couple hours this morning on a tail and we both had a great time. He has great manners and has no interest in deer or possums so far, but this is the second time with a tail and they are shredded by the time he is done.

[video:youtube]Tuff dog on a tail: [/video]

He is a little young yet but I would get him use to commands and a training collar and loading up in the truck. But that's just my opinion.

Some of the absolute best stands I've ever had started with the dogs chasing deer. I know 99% of folks will call me an idiot but I don't mind if they chase deer a little.

I'm with you scott, my brothers pup chased 6 deer the other day about 1/2 mile, just before they hit the woods he toned her right back, he was happy she was chasing something and figured it easy to get them to stop but hard to start

Opinions are very welcome. He is doing pretty well with basic commands and obedience so far...sit, lay down, come, get off the dang couch and if you eat another flip flop I'm gonna knock you out. I work with him before I go to work in the mornings. He is doing well with the training collar, it only took a couple times of tone + zap for him to figure it out. When I call him to me and say let's go hunt he'll come right to me and when he sees the collar in my hand he'll sit right at my feet and wait for me to put it on him. I try to tone him the least amount possible, but when I do he immediately comes to find me as fast as his big clumsy puppy feet will let him. That also works well with my son...he and the pup are inseperable so if my son gets too far out I can tone the pup and they both come running.

That makes sense on the deer. I was just of the mindset from the hog dogs we run that we break them off deer and varmints from the start. I made a few stands Saturday night…played fawn distress, then baying hounds and then both at the same time. The first two stands brought hard chargers with dogs and fawn at the same time. On another stand I played that scenario with nothing showing until I played the baying hounds + coyote challenge at the same time, had one fly by from behind us and about run over the call. So yeah…after that I can definitely see that letting the dog run whatever he wants is better than laying down next to me or waiting for me back at the truck.

for a second i thought you put a collar on you son.
smile.gif

sounds like you doing good with the pup. you getting him out in woods and seeing coyotes is best thing you can do.

Hahaha...I have thought about doing that but momma didn't like the idea.

The pup wasn't with me the other night when I had all the action. I'm still reluctant at this age to really let him run, especially at night. He goes full bore on my big fat black labs...chasing, jumping on them and play fighting. I hunt mostly at night right now and don't want him to do that on his first coyote, thinking it's another dog like at home, and end up getting hurt. He needs a little more size and a few more months before I'm going to seriously take him on stand. I do take him occasionally if I'm hunting fields and not woods so I can keep an eye on him easily...one was a hard charger that my buddy missed somehow at 60 yards. It happened so fast the pup never seen it, but when we walked out to look for blood he put his nose in the track and followed it about 100 or so yards to the treeline right where it went in. It was dark and a clean miss so I called him back, he came back wagging his tail so hard he could hardly stand up.

Back