Probably me, maybe not?

i am thinking that it must be me, but i am hoping that maybe it is not. i have been trying to develop a load that my 264 win mag likes and i get the same type of group everytime. i get two bullet holes almost touching but a third an inch or more away. i am only shooting 3 shot groups right now as i work up in charges with a powder that i do not have experience or load data for. i just yesterday finished fire forming all my brass. it appears that the chamber is quite large as the neck is noticeably shorter after firing, it looks like the shoulder is being pushed forward about .030. i am hoping for better accuracy when i have brass that is chamber sized.

is this phenomena most likely shooter error?

Is it a random shot that is out? Or that last shot of the string?

It has the ring of a mechanical issue to me, something loose or binding.

How long between shots....the 264 Mag sends a lot of hot gas down a very small hole and the barrel heating is always an issue.

the barrel was getting warm, but it did it with 5 different groups. i would go inside and load 3 then come out and shoot them, for each group. every group did the same thing. 2 shots touching or nearly touching and a third an inch or more away. velocities from 2700 to 3200 fps with 107gr bullets.

the first group with a cold barrel, it was the first shot. after that it did not seem to matter.

Originally Posted By: 6724the barrel was getting warm, but it did it with 5 different groups. i would go inside and load 3 then come out and shoot them, for each group. every group did the same thing. 2 shots touching or nearly touching and a third an inch or more away. velocities from 2700 to 3200 fps with 107gr bullets.

the first group with a cold barrel, it was the first shot. after that it did not seem to matter.

What kind of rifle, how heavy is the barrel, and what kind of stock?

model 70 classic, 26" barrel, muzzle appoximately 5/8", walnut stock.

i traded for the rifle a few years ago, appeared to be almost new. i have only fired 100 rounds.

Originally Posted By: 6724model 70 classic, 26" barrel, muzzle appoximately 5/8", walnut stock.

i traded for the rifle a few years ago, appeared to be almost new. i have only fired 100 rounds.

Are the bullets jammed or jumped, and if jumped, how much?

If the shot going wild is always to the right you may be palming the rifle when you pull the trigger.

Just a thought.

You can't do load development until you have your shooting technique established and consistent. You have to KNOW if you were on the POA or not when the trigger broke.

Do some dry firing and work on your follow-through. Be able to confirm you are holding the rifle the same way every time and ON target. Only then can you work on the mechanical aspects of the rifle and brass, etc.

i appreciate the post, but i am NOT a new shooter. i highly doubt it is me. shooting 10" groups at a mile with my 50 bmg, and 3/8 inch groups with my 17 hornet kind of says it is not me.

the particular issue i have appears to be equipment, i was trying to find out if it was some kind of issue that was known.

Originally Posted By: 6724i am thinking that it must be me

Originally Posted By: 6724 i highly doubt it is me.

you need to make up you mind and stick to it.
lol.gif

i put in the original post that it could be me because i did not want to claim it was impossible for it to be me. i was also thinking that maybe it could be an eye issue or some other less than obvious problem. i wondered if the double group could be something someone has seen before.

I would shoot a group of 5. Then a group of 10 and see if there is a trend. 3 shot groups dont tell you much. The sample is too small.

Originally Posted By: 6724i appreciate the post, but i am NOT a new shooter. i highly doubt it is me. shooting 10" groups at a mile with my 50 bmg, and 3/8 inch groups with my 17 hornet kind of says it is not me.

the particular issue i have appears to be equipment, i was trying to find out if it was some kind of issue that was known.

No problem, no offense intended. What I would try next is to anneal and then NS only and see if that gets rid of the flyers. Good luck !

Back