6mm AI

NorTex250

Hey Cat,

I decided today to drop my 308 off and get the barrel swap rolling. I have done some minor business with one of the local smiths and he seemed to be very knowledgeable. Had three lathes in the back constantly spinning and a pretty good reputation with the benchrest crowd around here.

I had decided on either 243AI or a 6mmAI. I honestly was going to let him decide for me. I am thinking the 75gr vmax at a high rate of speed. I assumed that since was familiar with bench guns he would surely have some experience with both and some insight. But when I got to the shop they were closed up and the phones have been turned off.

So now I was hoping you could give me some advice while I hunt down another smith. I'm wanting a rifle that will buck the wind better than my 22-250 and get me to 600 with a little more authority.

I'm thinking a 14 twist 26" but I'm not sure if there is anything special I should request such as a short throat?

As always your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Blake

I think you need a 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twist.
A, 1 in 14 probably would not do good with a 75 gr + bullet.
I have a normal 6mm with a 1 in 10 and wish it was 1 in 8...

Originally Posted By: NorTex250Hey Cat,

I decided today to drop my 308 off and get the barrel swap rolling. I have done some minor business with one of the local smiths and he seemed to be very knowledgeable. Had three lathes in the back constantly spinning and a pretty good reputation with the benchrest crowd around here.

I had decided on either 243AI or a 6mmAI. I honestly was going to let him decide for me. I am thinking the 75gr vmax at a high rate of speed. I assumed that since was familiar with bench guns he would surely have some experience with both and some insight. But when I got to the shop they were closed up and the phones have been turned off.

So now I was hoping you could give me some advice while I hunt down another smith. I'm wanting a rifle that will buck the wind better than my 22-250 and get me to 600 with a little more authority.

I'm thinking a 14 twist 26" but I'm not sure if there is anything special I should request such as a short throat?

As always your advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Blake

For guys that are hunters and buy ammo off the rack, the 243 is the one, cuz everyone stocks it. But for wildcatters, the 6mmRem (244) is the case to go with.

For 75 V-Maxs, you will need a 12" but I would recommend a 10" in case you get an urge to try the 87 V-Maxs. My new(ish) 6mm/244 is a 10"

For bullets to try, have a look at the Speer 70gr TNT. Yeah yeah, I know... who shoots Speer bullets anymore... but a guy just won the Australian national benchrest matches shooting the 70gr Speer TNT in a 6mmBR...

... who woulda thunk it??? And the TNT is a very fragile bullet.

Whatever you do, don't get an 8" and probably pass on a 9", if you are gonna shoot midweight varmint bullets - they can come apart if spun too fast.

Here's the deal. I have a 14 twist Bartlein barrel on my 6mmAI. The 75g Vmax will only work with that twist if you can get it going over 3900fps minimum. To do that u need a 28 inch plus barrel length, along with the balls/ crazyness to load at max pressures or beyond.

As far as whether the 243 or 6mm AI. The neck of length on the 6mm is longer than the 243 after the AI mod is done. Most prefer this.

I also have the 243wssm in an AR with a 12 twist Shillen barrel. It shoots 80g on down just fine.

Unless you are a very experience reloader I would stick with a 12 or 13 twist for the 75g.

Originally Posted By: WhoCares
Unless you are a very experience reloader I would stick with a 12 or 13 twist for the 75g.

And the reason for that is....

What very super experience is needed to shoot a 75gr V-Max in a 10" twist barrel??

Inquiring minds want to know?

None actually. I was writing my post at the same time as you and did not see your post.

I was referring to what I personally have!! And was speaking of taking the twist to the limit as I assumed this was what the original post was about.

Little ackward.... This was supposed to be a pm... But I guess more opinions never hurt.

And while we are debating will the 6mm AI with the 75's work in a short action?

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresYes, but it becomes a single shot. U have to remove the bolt for each round.

WHAT???

What action are you talking about? A 22 rimfire?

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: WhoCaresYes, but it becomes a single shot. U have to remove the bolt for each round.

WHAT???

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: WhoCaresYes, but it becomes a single shot. U have to remove the bolt for each round.

WHAT???

Sorry if I said something that got your panties in a wad!! I guess my 700 short action and my BAT short action in 6mm AI are one off's, and the 100's of Richard Franklins 6mm AI short action rifles are different as well. The bolt on all these short actions needs to be removed to extract a loaded case.

"Richard's rifle features a BAT Machines SV (short) RBRP action with fluted bolt, a Holland recoil lug, and a BAT +20 MOA Weaver-style scope base. Richard prefers the short action for stiffness, but this requires pulling the bolt to remove a loaded round. "

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: WhoCaresYes, but it becomes a single shot. U have to remove the bolt for each round.

WHAT???

WHAT???

Sorry if I said something that got your panties in a wad!! I guess my 700 short action and my BAT short action in 6mm AI are one off's, and the 100's of Richard Franklin's 6mm AI short action rifles are different as well. The bolt on all these short actions needs to be removed to extract a loaded case.

"Richard's rifle features a BAT Machines SV (short) RBRP action with fluted bolt, a Holland recoil lug, and a BAT +20 MOA Weaver-style scope base. Richard prefers the short action for stiffness, but this requires pulling the bolt to remove a loaded round. "

There is a big problem with giving advice that you read somewhere, instead of advice from what you actually have done - - you do not know the full story.

I shoot a Remington 700 short action, and I have no problem loading and unloading loaded rounds that are 3.1" long, which is 0.3" longer than standard.

You cannot give accurate advice by trolling the internet - that makes you a "Keyboard shooter!"

You have no idea of the length of Richard Franklin's rounds, or the limits of the length of the Bat action (which is irrelevant anyway)...

... the original poster said nothing about shooting a Bat action.

You are blowing smoke and BS.

Originally Posted By: WhoCaresYes, but it becomes a single shot. U have to remove the bolt for each round.

With 0 freebore and a 75VMax just touching the lands, a loaded 6AI round will very cleanly eject through the short 700 action port .

There is a big problem with giving advice that you read somewhere, instead of advice from what you actually have done - - you do not know the full story.

I shoot a Remington short action, and I have no problem loading and unloading loaded rounds that are 3.1" long, which is 0.3" longer than standard.

You cannot give accurate advice by trolling the internet - that makes you a "Keyboard shooter!"

"keyboard shooter", wow who pissed in your Cheerios? I replied to the original topic in hopes of helping someone with my real world experience. Instead I get "you don't know crap" from a supposed Mr. know it all. I never once said I was an expert but was merely reporting how my 2 6mm Ackleys and my 243wssm react to twist rates. Bullying posters on this forum is childish, but I hope it at least made u feel like a big man! After reading all your posts over the years I find you very disappointing!

Originally Posted By: WhoCares

You have yet to tell us why someone needs to be a "Very experienced reloader to use a 10" twist.

I just get tired of the BS advice that people like you shovel on someone that asks an honest question...

... so come on down from your throne and tell us about the "very experienced" reloading skills we need, in order to shoot the 75 V-Max in a 10" twist.

I went with a Savage short action as the ejection port was a bit longer than the Remington 700.

I can load and eject a loaded round without a problem. I don't know the length of my rounds offhand so I can't provide any particulars.

I went with an E.R. Shaw 1:8" for the cost and I'm shooting 87gr VMax with good accuracy so far. Haven't really rung it out yet as I want to work up some loads with IMR 4007 SSC. Hopefully I can get them to cook without grenading.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: WhoCares

You have yet to tell us why someone needs to be a "Very experienced reloader to use a 10" twist.

I just get tired of the BS advice that people like you shovel on someone that asks an honest question...

... so come on down from your throne and tell us about the "very experienced" reloading skills we need, in order to shoot the 75 V-Max in a 10" twist.

Never once did I say you needed to be an experienced reloader to use a 10 twist. You fabricated that in your mind. I said to make a 75g Vmax work in a 14 twist you would need to be experienced. Obviously a 10 twist would work, you know that, so why twist my words over that? This has become beyond childish, you win, I give up. I hope u feel better!

I'm also running my 6mmAI out of a Savage action because of slightly more room. I wanted a clip fed action also, so the savage fit the bill. Don't get me wrong I think the Rem 700 would be a little more smooth with some better aftermarket options, but this rifle will flat out shoot! I'm running 87 Vmax's in a 1:10 twist but have some 75's on the shelf I'm going to try.

What kind of barrel did you go with and what powder are you using?
smile.gif

Back