Homemade Case Spray Lube Recipe

I believe it was on this forum, but somewhere I saw a recipe for a homemade spray case lube. Can anyone direct me to this or post a link to somewhere else where there are ingrediants and instructions?

From what I recall, several members said it worked very well, and I just shelled out $9.99 again for another can of One Shot and that got me thinking, I should bite the bullet and round up the ingrediantes to make my own.

Many thanks.

Grouse

Originally Posted By Venatic

Check this as it is what I went by and it worked just as described in the video. I can' t believe I waited this long to give it a try. I have always used a loading block to hold the brass upright and spray but the pan method works even better if you are doing a bunch.
I found the Lanolin at a Whole Foods market and the Heet at Wal Mart.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0117UuXiSS4

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963

Last edited:
I bought the lanolin on Ebay
Red -Heet at WalMart
Spray bottles at dollar general ----
Good Luck ---- seems to work good for regular reloading
Probably continue Imperial Sizing Wax for necking down ---
Thanks

I have been using home made case lube for years. Never stuck a case. If y'all want my recipe PM me and I'll look it up and post. 99% iso and liquid lanolin might be the ingredients. It's cheap and lasts a long time. I made up one gallon and still working on it.

Thanks to Vanatic for sharing this recipe and vid---I've tryed it and it works real well--Will use Outlaw case lube from now on----Thanks Again for sharing this-SVB

Good info on making homemade lanolin lube here:
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing
EDITED: The mixture is best at 8 parts alcohol to one part liquid lanolin. Any ratio that uses more lanolin to alcohol is too greasy. 16 oz of alcohol to 2 oz. of liquid lanolin works well. Some report good results with less lanolin. Definitely use 99% alcohol if possible.

Last edited:

OK, so I need clarification. The first video says the
mix is 12 parts Iso, and 1 part lanolin, and the link to
the text says the mix is 4 to 5 parts Iso, and 1 part
lanolin. Big difference in mixing ratios! So what
are people actually using for mixing ratios? I have
also read internet forums where the suggested ratio is
8:1. So which one works for the bootleg case lube mixers
here?

Thanks
Squeeze

Originally Posted By: Squeeze
OK, so I need clarification. The first video says the
mix is 12 parts Iso, and 1 part lanolin, and the link to
the text says the mix is 4 to 5 parts Iso, and 1 part
lanolin. Big difference in mixing ratios! So what
are people actually using for mixing ratios? I have
also read internet forums where the suggested ratio is
8:1. So which one works for the bootleg case lube mixers
here?

Thanks
Squeeze

I used a 12 oz. bottle to 1 oz. liquid lanolin.

This stuff is awesume. 12oz red bottle of Heet with 1oz of liquid lanolin. I will never by case lube again after using this mix.

FWIW, maybe 8 months ago came home from a Lowes store with can of ULTRA LUBE, an aerosol can of lubricant and penetrant that is supposed to be a soy bean based product minus any petroleum oils. Bought it just to replace the can of penetrant I'd used up. The Ultra Lub can said it had 4 times the lubrication of oil based products. Also labeled eco safe, non-toxic, odor free.

Happen to have the Ultra Lub near me one day when I was going to resize some brass...so, being a curious guy, sprayed some on a lub pad and tried it on my brass. Stuff worked quite well for resizing brass. Been using it ever since. It replaced the Imperial Sizing wax I'd been using.

Last edited:
I use lanolin and 80% alcohol. Had to find the alcohol at a medical supply store as the pharmacy was only carrying 50% and 70%

Hello I'm new to the forum, also not in the US, know lanolin very well, as we have plenty of sheep, but can anyone enlighten me on what Heet is. From putting two and two together it appears to be a brand name for isopropynol, but I am not 100% sure. Any help will be much appreciated.

Heet is used to remove water from gasoline in cars. We used it a lot in the winter in NY State, you just add to the gas tank. It's 98 or 99% Isopropyl alocohol if I remember correctly...

You can get 100% alcohol at a paint store...denatured or wood alcohol. They usually have it by the gallon. It's funny, reloaders have been trying to come up with the ultimate {for whatever reason, usually money} case lube for a very long time. I remember one of my brother-in-laws talking about using STP oil treatment {ala Mario Andretti} 40 years ago. I tried it once when I ran out and it did work, but it was nasty to clean up and it stunk. For days.
I always hate it when some idiot replies to a thread and starts out with "simple, all ya gotta do..." Several years ago that idiot posted to take a ziploc bag, add a few squirts of Dawn Ultra dish soap, dump in the brass and close the zip on the bag. Then roll it around to coat the brass good. Dump out the brass cases on a clean surface and let them dry. Then size. I tried it and been doing it ever since. One thing to buy, zero mixing and effortless resizing. I have formed many 243 and 260 cases from military 7.62X51 {308} cases in one pass.
In regards to Heet...that same BIL with the STP refused to buy any kind of "Dry Gas" type product to get water out of a gas tank and I remember tagging along as a kid while he went to several stores looking for 100% alcohol to substitute...for the gas he ran out looking he could have just bought the "Dry Gas." I used to think is was a Navy thing...spending $50.00 to save .50 cents. I have known many fellows that did this {drive two hours to save $4.00} and every one of them were prior Navy.

I'm just glad I started using Imperial Sizing Wax before I heard about any of these DIY recipes!
lol.gif

Back