I Need Educated on the Garmin Astro's

XM110

Ok, here we go!
I've finally decided to break down and get a GPS tracker. So, first, what's the difference between the 220 and 320(enough to make a difference?), and I've read and heard everyone likes the DC30's over the DC40's, Can the DC30 be ran with the Astro 320?? And how's everyone liking the DC50's and are they only for the Astro 320?? Sounds like everyone who's got an Astro set up goes with long range antennas for the trackers and receivers before giving them a solid try, right?? Thanx in advance,

XM110

Counter question... Is someone purchased a tri tronics setup and a garmin 320 setup, are they saving or losing money compared to buying the Garmin Alpha?

Some hunters have told me 320 has more range and a better screen. I'm shopping as well...

I have had the 220 with DC30 and now have the 320 with DC40s. I am much happier with what I have right now. I hardly ever lose track unless it's in heavy timber and dogs are over the ridge.

If I was going to make the purchase right now, I would buy the 320 with the DC50s. I have heard that they are a lot better and for an extra $30 a piece it's worth it.

If you are interested in saving money, I would just wait and save up a little extra and get a good system.

I can't tell you all the differences between the 220 and 320 right off the top of my head but I have both. I bought the 220 and a dc30 from a guy that was getting out of hunting just so I could track more dogs while hunting with a group. I then bought a 320 with a few dc40's. The 320 had more features and is an all around better unit. The 220 will track 30's and 40's but will not track the 50's. The 320 will track 30's, 40's and 50's. The biggest difference I found between the 30 and 40 is that the 30, with the top mounted GPS receiver keeps satellite reception better than the 40. The dc50 collars are, in my experience, far superior to the 30 and 40. Garmin went back with the top mounted GPS receiver but also added the capability to track from around 28 additional GLONASS satellites. They have tough,long range antennas from the factory along with an additional shorter antenna in the box. They have better range,less interference, and when you add in the bark detection, rescue mode, and longer battery life, you start to see the advantages. I now have four 50's and keep the 30 and 40 for backup and loaners. For me the 50's win hands down without a doubt.

The newer 320 comes with the updated software to track the 50's and the older 320's can be updated if they don't have the current software. More people are starting to use the 50 collars and if you have a 220 you are left in the dark if you hunt with people that use them.

As far as long range antennas, a good truck mount antenna will increase your range dramatically. I use the truck mount until the dogs tree then put the small antenna on when heading in on foot. The 320 comes with a long and short in the box.

With the price of a 40 or 50 plus the price of a Tri-tronics collar and transmitter, it would be cheaper to go with the Alpha and TT10. I went through the same debate and I use dc50 collars with Tritronics. The ONLY reason I went that route is because I became accustomed to the bark detection feature on the 50's and just can't bring myself to let it go. If or when they make it available on the Alpha I'll likely change over. It's just so useful. If the garmin shows the dog treed but not barking, it helps you better understand what they are up to. They could be resting, hung up or injured. On the other hand, if it shows the dog moving slowly but barking a lot, like with a walking bear, it's nice to be able to have that info available.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the 320 and dc50 or the Alpha and I would steer away from the 220.

I have used the 220 and 320, with dc20 and dc40 collars. A buddy has the dc50 collars.
There is a big difference between the 220 and 320 in features and performance. If you just want to track a dog or two that are fairly short range, such as decoy or squirrel dogs, a cheap used 220 will do ok. Otherwise get the 320,
I plan to upgrade to dc50 collars over time as I need to replace/add collars.
I use a Tritronics simply because I don't run it all the time on all my dogs. I can swap it from collar to collar as needed. I also run 6-8 collars and the alphas would just be too much for me. If I had one or two dogs it would be an good option for me.

PS Get a screen protector film for whichever one you get. After a few months in a pocket it is nice to be able to replace the film and see all your info clearly again.

Last edited:
If you want a DC40, I have a almost new one for sale right now. Only reason I am selling it is I want to put a DC50 on my longest ranging dog as I have and see if I get faster updates.

Thank you very much for these informative and helpful posts. That bark detection feature sounds amazing. These toys are expensive, but an incredible tool for sure. The tri tronics and 320 setup vs the Alpha is certainly the comparison most people are going to need to know, or will ask. Thank you again.

Thanks brother. I appreciate the time saving.. when a novice hears gear details, they Re trying to sort out how not to waste money and time.

Back