17 Hornady Hornet Fox/Coyote load data

XUSNORDY762X51

Anyone have a good load for the 17HH that will take a yote cleanly under 200yds but NOT explode a red or grey fox? Been testing some 23gr HP on groundhogs but at fox range it is blowing them up...

Trying to stay away from plastic tipped bullets. Want to find the right jacket/core in a hollow point bullet. Getting ready to cook up some 25's and 30's..

Any success stories?

Originally Posted By: erikc838The 25gr Berger HPs work great with 9.6gr of AA1680 at 1.720"

Have you used this recipe on fox or yote? if so how was the damage? minimal?

Originally Posted By: Doubletap10grs of lil gun, max load, 20gr v-max

Really looking to stay away from the plastic tips. I prefer the HP's...

Has anyone used Woodchuck Den bullets with success?

Originally Posted By: XUSNORDY762X51Originally Posted By: erikc838The 25gr Berger HPs work great with 9.6gr of AA1680 at 1.720"

No fox, 1 dog. Small entry, no exit. Shot was about 60 yards or so. It wasn't DRT. Didnt go but maybe a few feet and some kicking. The rest of the kills have been on jacks. Doesn't tear those up either but drops em where they stand. The bullets have also been the most accurate ones I have tried.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XUSNORDY762X51Originally Posted By: Doubletap10grs of lil gun, max load, 20gr v-max

Staying away from the plastic tipped bullets in 17 anything is a good idea when chasing larger game like coyotes and fox. They'd probably work ok on the fox but I wouldn't trust them to penetrate deep enough on coyote. They don't always present the perfect shot so you have to have enough bullet to make up for it.

I shot some of the Woodchuck Den bullets. They were hit and miss thru 3 of my 17's. Which is kinda like calling Todd on the phone.. Some days he's really got good information to share and other days your an [beeep] for interrupting his day. If he was the last 17 cal bullet maker on the planet..... I'd sell or rebuild all my 17 cal rifles into something else. That's what one bad phone call does for ya! I havnt bought anything from him in years and I'm getting by just fine.

Try the 25 Berger,or the 25gr Hornady HP. Either of those are probably going to be your best choice at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: XUSNORDY762X51Originally Posted By: Doubletap10grs of lil gun, max load, 20gr v-max

Staying away from the plastic tipped bullets in 17 anything is a good idea when chasing larger game like coyotes and fox. They'd probably work ok on the fox but I wouldn't trust them to penetrate deep enough on coyote. They don't always present the perfect shot so you have to have enough bullet to make up for it.

I shot some of the Woodchuck Den bullets. They were hit and miss thru 3 of my 17's. Which is kinda like calling Todd on the phone.. Some days he's really got good information to share and other days your an [beeep] for interrupting his day. If he was the last 17 cal bullet maker on the planet..... I'd sell or rebuild all my 17 cal rifles into something else. That's what one bad phone call does for ya! I havnt bought anything from him in years and I'm getting by just fine.

Try the 25 Berger,or the 25gr Hornady HP. Either of those are probably going to be your best choice at this point.

You read my mind. At long range the Vmax were fine on fox. Close they blew the hide apart at entrance....and that wasn't hitting bone. You are spot on about the yotes....I have been wary of trying to take a yote with my Hornet using factory rounds. Hence my search for a dual load....mostly for fox but just in case the yote comes in. Figured finding a decent 17HH load was easier than playing with my 223...its always too much for fox.

As for Todd I just spoke with him the other day for the first time. He was full of info and good spirit. Bought a stand and The Sensational Seventeens book. A friend is loading up some 25's for me to try. The Woodchuck Den 23's were exploding groundhogs at all distances.....so not a good choice for fox.

Originally Posted By: erikc838Originally Posted By: XUSNORDY762X51Originally Posted By: erikc838The 25gr Berger HPs work great with 9.6gr of AA1680 at 1.720"

No fox, 1 dog. Small entry, no exit. Shot was about 60 yards or so. It wasn't DRT. Didnt go but maybe a few feet and some kicking. The rest of the kills have been on jacks. Doesn't tear those up either but drops em where they stand. The bullets have also been the most accurate ones I have tried.

Awesome. I will try some Bergers....I have heard good things.

I can't say about the 17 Hornet, but the 25 Hornady HPs are too much for fox out of a 17 Remington at 3921 fps, but your cartridge will be pushing them slower, so might be worth a try. I ruined a few fox with that combination, but it's a great drop-dead on the spot load for both fox and coyotes. The bullet doesn't exit coyotes, at least in my experience with the three I have shot with it.

I too keep searching for a fox-friendly 17 load, and I'm thinking that slowing a bullet down to Hornet velocities might do the trick.

20gr Vmax @ 4200 fps put a golf ball entry hole in the 2 foxes I shot around 40 yards, no exit. Same damage as a 25gr Hornady HP @ 3950 fps. This with my 17Rem, which is NOT the famed fur saver it is widely claimed to be on the internet.

I'd guess the 20 Vmax @ around 3000-3500 fps would be great on foxes. I'd think the 17 WSM would be about perfect for foxes only, plus no reloading! IF anyone ever makes a decent rifle for it...

When going to my fox areas I don't even bring a rifle anymore except occasionally an HMR. A 12g with #2 lead shot rules for foxes here, which typically are taken in brushy areas 25-50 yards mostly.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I can't say about the 17 Hornet, but the 25 Hornady HPs are too much for fox out of a 17 Remington at 3921 fps, but your cartridge will be pushing them slower, so might be worth a try. I ruined a few fox with that combination, but it's a great drop-dead on the spot load for both fox and coyotes. The bullet doesn't exit coyotes, at least in my experience with the three I have shot with it.

I too keep searching for a fox-friendly 17 load, and I'm thinking that slowing a bullet down to Hornet velocities might do the trick.

Good luck on your search Sir!

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG20gr Vmax @ 4200 fps put a golf ball entry hole in the 2 foxes I shot around 40 yards, no exit. Same damage as a 25gr Hornady HP @ 3950 fps. This with my 17Rem, which is NOT the famed fur saver it is widely claimed to be on the internet.

I'd guess the 20 Vmax @ around 3000-3500 fps would be great on foxes. I'd think the 17 WSM would be about perfect for foxes only, plus no reloading! IF anyone ever makes a decent rifle for it...

When going to my fox areas I don't even bring a rifle anymore except occasionally an HMR. A 12g rules for foxes here, which typically are taken in brushy areas 25-50 yards mostly.

The factory Vmax tore my close shots on fox up....150+ it was not noticeable. The 17 WSM brought down a ton of coons but the red fox ran not to be found after hits 80+ yards.

I agree about the shotty...but I rarely use one with exception a couple areas I hunt where close shots are the only shots.

Back