okie coyotes

Infidel 762

Staff member
Yesterday’s hunt;

I started my hunt with the decision to hit a 160 acre tract used as a bedding area. This tract is an island of cover surrounded by open wheat fields with a creek running down the middle. I setup in the debris of an old barn by an abandoned farm house. My intent was to call them to the edge of the wheat field for a 100-120 yard shot. I set the call in the wheat halfway between myself and the fence line to the south. I started out with a mid-volume invitation howl… after about five minutes I let out a full volume lonesome howl then immediately went to field mouse in distress with just enough volume I could barely hear it. After a few minutes I spot a yote about 350 yards down wind of me skirting the edge of the wheat field heading for the cover I was hoping to call them from. Just as fast as the adrenaline hit me, comes the thought; “was he far enough away to not get my scent?”… I wait a minute or two then start playing woodpecker at different volumes, all the while watching the fence line in a state of cat-like readiness while steadying my breathing. I scan to my right and standing directly down wind at about 60-70 yards is a coyote standing in the wide open field. The 75 grain BTHP found its mark a little far back as she let out a yip and went into a spin. I followed up with more shots than I care to admit…

To approach my next stand I decided to circle a quarter mile to the north instead of walking across the open wheat field with the wind at my back. The map below shows my approach with the yellow dotted lines. It also shows where the coyotes where.

This is me;

This is me in the creek..

However the next few stands where blanks.

The next productive spot was an 80 acre tract. I set up with hopes of calling them from the thick timber to the edge of the wood line to my east. I started off with a mid-volume invitation howl and got an immediate vocal response behind me to southwest. I was set up all wrong and had very little visibility if they where to come from that direction... I let the call fall silent as I stood up, turned around and snaked my way to the center of the cedar tree that had been my backing, trying to get the best view as possible if they did commit from that direction. I stood there for over 20 minutes in silence hoping they would not slip in and out undetected. Next I slowly gathered my gear and hooked around through the timber and set up. The map below shows my avenues of approach with yellow lines and stand set-up in relationship to the vocal response.

The rest of the day was unproductive.

Today I went out this afternoon and made three stands in a row with nothing, nada, zip... To get to my last stand for the day I found myself having to cross the Cimarron River...

I set up and called with no response... After about thirty minutes I quite calling. There was only about thirty more minutes of daylight so I just decided to sit till dark. As the time passed I started losing visibility and was just about to start packing up when I caught movement. I looked directly below me at the bottom of the sand hill and there was a coyote walking down a cow trail. Could not get a very good pic cause it was almost completely dark.

I have gotten coyotes before doing the same thing, sitting till dark. Walking back to the truck I wondered how many coyotes I have missed out on from breaking stand to soon. I try to figure why it took him so long to come in, if it was cause he was educated to the call, or he was a subordinate not looking confrontation with other yotes or just simply walking down the wrong trail at the wrong time. I don't know but I will take them any way I can get them... Thanks for your attention...

Good story, detailed very well. Looks really green there, it has really greened up here since all the rain last week.

Way to go.I wish I had been as lucky yesterday morning but I let one get (WAY) to close and missed a walking shot. I've never seen anything run so fast! Anyway great read!

Isn't it great when a plan comes together?
wink.gif
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Isn't it great when a plan comes together?
wink.gif
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

One of the things I like most about coyote hunting... The planning, strategy the whole thought process... In that state of mind I forget about work or any other trouble in life... It's a great reliever of stress
smile.gif

Back