17 WSM SS Heavy barrel? Or lightweight barrel?

KamronG

I am in the game to buy a 17 Bmag. I have read a lot of mixed reviews on them and understand that people have had some accuracy problems with them. But my question is, will I be better off buying the one with the stainless steel heavy barrel or just the regular lightweight barrel? Is the heavy barrel going to make this round more accurate?

Thanks

maybe someone with a rifle will chime in but it seems it has been hit and miss with either one (though the heavy one hasn't been out that long). Have you held one? That is all I needed to do to know it was not for me (with both models).

Last edited:
I'm continuing to wait for someone to build a real rifle. The Savage BMag is a disgrace.

I may even look for a junked out Rem 591 and have it rebarrled to 17 WSM.

What current rifles might be suitable to rebarrel to the new 17 WSM? I guess I need to look at the dimensions of the cartridge, but without having knowledge at the moment I'm wondering if a 22 mag or HMR can be rebarreled, or will the head dimensions be different? Would be nice to have a "real" rifle like was suggested.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
What current rifles might be suitable to rebarrel to the new 17 WSM? I guess I need to look at the dimensions of the cartridge, but without having knowledge at the moment I'm wondering if a 22 mag or HMR can be rebarreled, or will the head dimensions be different? Would be nice to have a "real" rifle like was suggested.

Here in lies the problem. The WSM cartridge is different enough that the rifles currently built can't be easily adapted to use the new cartridge. This is why there's so few rifles chambered for it. If it was an easy conversion off an existing rifle everybody would have one the market for it by now but that's not the case.

The exception to the rule would be Contenders I suppose...

Last edited:
I think the 5mm Rem is the only one that could be rebarrled. Repeater anyways.

A single shot would drive me nuts in a Rimfire.

Save yourself a headache and don't buy one. I had a light barrel one that shot OK but not great for a few rounds and then it went downhill from there. Sent it back and Savage sent me another brand new POS. I sent that one back with my reciept from the one I bought and requested a refund instead of trying a third gun. I'll give savage CS credit, they never hesitated when I asked for a refund. They are however a little slow at sending me a check.

Originally Posted By: KamronGI am in the game to buy a 17 Bmag. I have read a lot of mixed reviews on them and understand that people have had some accuracy problems with them. But my question is, will I be better off buying the one with the stainless steel heavy barrel or just the regular lightweight barrel? Is the heavy barrel going to make this round more accurate?

Thanks
The 17WSM cartridge is an awesome round, the rifles are a little less then desirable. I have both model B-mags and the SS/HB rifle is by far more accurate then the sporter barreled gun. I bought the sporter model back in October and sent in back to savage for accuracy and extraction issues. A new gun was sent to me that functioned correctly but still did not shoot well at all. With a lot of tweeking it now shoots fair. The SS/HB was a shooter right out of the box, quarter size groups at 100yds. Now the stock is a POS but that is remedied with a boyds laminate stock. If you need a 17 WSM now get the HB/SS no question. If you can wait for an unknown amount of time for a better gun then wait. One suggestion with either option start buying ammo now, it is not so easy to find at least not in the south.
One more note, the SS/HB shoots the 20 or 25 grain ammo well, the sporter model prefers the 25gr stuff.

My sporter model seems to like the 25 gr. ammo better. Have not had a good chance to really range test it well or any kills with it.

Do have some extra 25 gr. ammo I would sell local in OH for what I have in it.

I have the light barrel gun. Shoots ok as far as bench work. Hunting coons daytime calling....great. Kills like thunder , no exits with the 20 grain bullets . The 25 grain bullets were getting close to exits as we usually get shots from 10-30 yards up to 50-60. Almost no blood and no fur damage , huge damage inside . Light weight to carry all day. Fast to point. I love it . Ammo has dried up but we don't go through too much hunting . Usually don't have to ever shoot more than once per coon. We sold 80 last season. If I could design a gun for my use , it would be this one to a "T". Jim

Originally Posted By: spiderman If I could design a gun for my use , it would be this one to a "T". Jim

If you could design a rifle or a cartridge? I can see how the cartridge would be perfect for certain scenarios. I wouldn't mind a rifle so chambered myself, but it wouldn't be a B-mag.

I certainly hope the individual that designed the B-mag isn't proud of their creation! That rifle seems to be a conglomerate of refuse designed by someone who's never handled a real, live, functioning rifle.

Im with spiderman! Ilove my lite weight savage B-mag! Took my b-mag fishing the other day ultralight rod deel light weight rifle 20gr. and 25gr. ammo caught 5 small mouth killed CROW 2 TURTLES AND A COTTON MOUTH! The B-MAG worked perfect!!!

For a lot of up to date info on the Bmags , SS and black , check out rimfirecentral.com Lots of targets to look at and first hand info. Jim

The way I see it if you don't own a b-mag or never shot one shut up! If you are getting your info on the B-mag off the inter net shut UP!!

Well I'm glad there's at least a few folks out there that are happy with the B-mags. I have heard very few positive reviews locally, at the range, at gun shops, or on the web. Therefore I have not bought one or subsequently shot one. I hope to hear more and more people like their B-mags, if they keep selling maybe some other arms makers will come to the table.

My son has one of the early rifles and it is a good shooter and has been reliable. It takes a lot of concentration to shoot good groups with such a light rifle. I believe Savage has a handle on things now and that the heavy barrel and other Savage changes made will show up in a better quality firearm. Now I am hoping for more consistent ammo from Winchester. We have had some of the split neck issues with early ammo which caused fliers.

I wouldn't even mess with that cartridge. Ammunition is too expensive for plinking, it's a hunting round but still only has rimfire power. Plus that Savage is an ugly cheesy looking thing. For the same cost you could be shooting 17AH which is a lot more powerful, and be doing it with a decent gun.

Back