advice needed on removing handguard from mmr hunter

dan158

I am going to replace my mmr hunter upper with a aero upper that has the FA and DC that mmr hunter did not have. I bought a strap wrench and heated the tube with hair drier and the tube wont budge. Is there any tricks to this? Thanks. Dan

DO NOT TURN THE TUBE!!!!
Its the nut that needs to be turned.
Hold the forearm, and turn the nut...yes it looks like 1 pc but its not.
The nut is separate from the barrel nut.
Go here, 2nd page and you will see that its not attached to the barrel nut either.
Good info on removal of forearm.
http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/removing-the-mmr-hunter-handguard.6665/page-2
The gas block is held on w/tapered pins and only come out 1 way. You will need a small drift punch to get them out, may stick but mine came out easy enough. The gas tube is CARBINE length also. I thought it would be mid or rifle but its not.

5spd did you have trouble with the pins on your ar wrench fitting in the holes of the barrel nut? The pins on my wrench was to big to fit the holes of the mmr barrel nut. I had to file the diameter of all 3 pins down for them to fit in the barrel nut holes. But I got it all tore down and waiting for the parts to arrive this Friday to put back together. I will also lap the receiver.
Thanks again. Dan

Edit to say, mine did not have that silver ring as pictured.

Last edited:
Back