Anyone getting into spring bears this year?

Tikkamike

I put my bait out a couple weeks ago and as of memorial day nothing had hit it which is ususual because I usually have bears crawling all over the place. The biologist said they think the bears slept or are sleeping late this year because we had 200% of the normal snow pack.My bait is at 7200' so relatively low but the bears must sleep higher. We have a female quota of 8 and typically the quota is half filled or more by now but there is only 1 killed so far. Anyone else doing any good? If so post some pics I would love to see them!

I just got back from Alaska on a spot and stalk spring black bear hunt.
Boat based out of Homer, across Kachemak Bay, in Tutka Bay and up the mountainside to the North. Hiked up to 2000 feet above sea level.
Saw several good bears, including a 6 footer.
Was hunting with a revolver.
Didn't kill one, but had lot of fun. Fished until my arms were sore.
I learned one thing: I hate alder thickets.

Originally Posted By: TikkamikeI put my bait out a couple weeks ago and as of memorial day nothing had hit it which is ususual because I usually have bears crawling all over the place. The biologist said they think the bears slept or are sleeping late this year because we had 200% of the normal snow pack.My bait is at 7200' so relatively low but the bears must sleep higher. We have a female quota of 8 and typically the quota is half filled or more by now but there is only 1 killed so far. Anyone else doing any good? If so post some pics I would love to see them!

drool.gif
drool.gif

Back