Opinions on Thompson center impact muzzleloader

NMHunter51

Hello everyone,

I promised my dad a new muzzleloader for giving me a hand on remodeling my house. I had been looking at getting an encore but in my search a found the tc impact. I've read a couple reviews and it seems like a pretty good muzzleloader. Does anybody have any experience with the impact. Any info, pros or cons will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My brother has one and it is a really good rifle. The action is kinda wonky, but it works well. Typically they are very accurate. My brother's Impact shoots three shot groups in the 1.25 to 1.5 inch range with TC and Hornady 250 grain saboted loads and Blackhorn 209. The bore is really tight (very common in TCs) so he uses the easy load/superglide sabots. I highly recommend the Impact as an entry level rifle.

I bought 2 of them this winter. Camo weather shield and black weather shield. Been shooting black horn 209 with good results. If you like good groups and a good solid rifle go for it.

I don't know about the Impact, but will comment on the TC Omega. I bought mine 4-5 years ago for aprox $275. It is the basic blued and black synthetic stock model. It is a consistent shooter that will shoot ~1"-1.5", 3 shot groups with TC shockwaves and also with 240 gr. Hornady XTP's. I loaded up 110 gr of 777 as my first load with the 240 XTP's and liked the results. I also loaded the 250 Shockwaves with 110 gr 777 and they shot ~1"-1.5" and give more penetration on the deer than the XTP. XTP's = 1 hole in deer. Shockwaves = 2 holes in deer. Both bullets have given me one shot kills on 6-7 deer.

Very good gun for not a lot of $.

I have 2 buds with TC Omegas, and 2 with TC Triumphs. All are pretty decent and better than the Impact IMO.

That said, I prefer Knight rifles over TC by a wide margin......

Thanks for the input guys, this will be his first muzzleloader. He will be hunting mule deer with it this year. He has been a life long bow hunter but is wanting to try the front end loader.

If you give him an Impact he won't be disappointed. Put him next to an Encore on the range and he will only be lacking the money you spent.

I had a Knight advantage camo stainless and it wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn, sold it when they were still popular. No thanks.

Last edited:
Back