She went AAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Brownie

Another coyote done gone.

After a rough day at work I was in the mood to get away for a bit. The wife called and said she was heading out of town to take our oldest to the orthodontist and then shopping so she wouldnt be home till late. I came home shoveled some left over tater salad n fried chicken changed my boots and grabbed Marie laveu (my AR) and headed north to the ranch. I wasnt planning on calling but I grabbed my green primos lil dog call just in case. I hiked for about an hour enjoying the scenery and piece and quiet

I picked a nice spot on the higheat plateu laid prone and began glassing. Looking at deer and birds and relaxing. As im looking around I see a coyote anout a mile or more away working a fence line. I watch him for a while and he looks to be making his way towards me very slowly. I howl to see if I get any reaction and.nothing. I howl a couplemore times and still nothing.

He was on the edge of the yellow

I watch him for a few minutes so focused and looking through binoculars that I've sneaks in right under my nose. I just happen to glance down and seen him looking up at me about 200 yards below me. I get on the rifle and center the crosshairs on his chest and touch of a round. I see him go down and great the sound of bullet hitting meat. He drops out of sight and I get up and hurry down in case he needs a second shot. I find him just over a small rise leaking out of every hole in his head. The bummer entered just above his right eye and exited out the back of the noggin. The severe angle changed my poi.

Entrance

Exit

Shot from the highest rock. This is the last thing he saw

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing , beautiful country and nice shot ! Some people will never get to see other parts of the country. This is a great forum. I think I helped you squeeze the trigger on that one lol.

Wonderful scenery! I'd have to learn how to hunt that country; you can see so far it hurts my eyes.
lol.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

I think I could glass that place all day. Nice job !!
As you said the steep angle changed the POI. I shoot a few different calibers so I keep a cheat sheet on each gun with a 30 degree angle and 15mph crosswind component just so I can estimate about what it will be for my particular shot. For instance my 90 grain .243 Win at 3100fps has 19.8" drop at 400 yards but only 14.8" with a 30 degree angle such as you had. A 15mph cross wind will give me 22" of drift at 400 yards.
Thanks again for sharing !

Beautiful country! I would love to have a place like that. Nice job on the coyote. That's an added bonus to getting to hunt a place like that.

Thanks guys I am lucky.

Wedgy The rifle is zeroed for 200 which makes sense on the drop or lack there of. The headshot was all luck as fara as far as shot placement but ill take it.

Shankbone wrong river this is on the snake not the Columbia. Although it looks identical.

Going to invest in a spoting scope to see whats across the river and maybe inquire about the coyote population over there and a range finder with TBR to avoid future mishaps

Last edited:
Once you've used binos with a built in rangefinder it's hard to see how you ever got by without them. I think the cheapest good pair are the bushnells but they have a bit of a tint to them that darkens them so you lose a bit in low light conditions. You don't notice it during the day. I have the Bushnell 1600 Fusion and the longest I've ranged was 1720 of my buddy on a quad. So much easier than trying to hold a standard rangefinder steady. They are ~$800 while the Leicas are $3,000. They have a bullet drop feature where you can program in your bullets trajectory(or choose one from the list) and it will give you the hold over in MOA, mils etc. At $3k the Leicas measure weather conditions, etc for a more accurate shot solution, more like a G7. Priced out of my budget though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111356807930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wedgybinos with a built in rangefinder ... cheapest good pair are the bushnells but they have a bit of a tint to them that darkens them so you lose a bit in low light conditions.

The newer Fusions are supposed to be quite a bit better on this issue because of how they changed the design. I have the Fusion 1 Mile and really like them. I have never compared the new and old side by side though.

Sendit

Back