.243 vs 6x47

randolph45

I have a Remington 700 .243. Originally I was going to make it a 6x47 Lapua but now I'm considering just keeping it a .243 with a re-barrel of course. Thoughts?

Does it need a rebarrel? If it shoots good now, just shoot it till it pukes, then rebarrel, unless you want a specific contour or fast twist for heavy bullets.

I have a 6XC, 6BR, 6x45, and a 243. IMO the 243 will usually outshoot most hunters. Lapua makes brass for a 243 also.

Last edited:
Both are great shooting versatile rounds with Lapua holding an edge unless you need to buy off the shelf ammo. You won't find 6x47 at Walmart if any retail stores.

Folks switching away from the .243 Winchester to these more erotic rounds 6X47, 6XC, 6mm Creedmore remind me of the saying by Yogi Berra “Nobody goes to that restaurant anymore because it's too crowded.”
lol.gif
There is a reason its so popular....
but I did order a 6mm Creedmore yesterday.
blushing.gif

Longer barrel life and slightly better economics/efficiency are benefits of a new/improved cartridge over the 'ol 243. Especially if you expect a high round count.

Added expense of new dies/tools and maybe new brass and/or fire forming is a negative.

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendOriginally Posted By: reddog9646x47l = same performance = Less powder = Best brass ever = WINNER!!!

I second this motion

No use to confuse folks with facts...
It's just purty.

I love my 6x47l I've got 2 barrels chamber for it on the same rifle. You will find the 6x47 uses less powder than the 243 but not by much mabe 2 grains that's the difference for me anyway. Both the barrels that I hav it chambered in are faster than any of my 243's and I have had 4 different guns chambered in 243. My current load is a 69 gr Berger traveling at 3670fps on a very cold day below zero my 243's wouldn't touch that. He brass is expensive and there is only one maker for it and you can't just go down to the old sports shop and pick up a bag like u can with a 242. That is something to think about too in your decision.

Originally Posted By: devildoggMy current load is a 69 gr Berger traveling at 3670fps on a very cold day below zero my 243's wouldn't touch that.

What are you pushing that 69 gr Berger with? I'm shooting the same bullet and not getting near that speed out of the .243.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: byates45I think I'm going straight .243 since this will be my first build. Keep it simple stupid.

The 6x47 Lapua is simple. Just a neck down no special steps to make it work. As much as I love my 243's, my next 6mm will be thusly chambered.

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendI don't know why anyone would want one of those 6x47 Lapua?

Me Either
wink.gif
OH wait.... guess I have for a long time...

That's why I have two

You fella's have just about convinced me to just go 6X47L on this current LW endevour. I have a great shooting 243 bbl/action. I may just need to look at the 6X47L instead!!

I considered the 6X47L but not long but mainly due to being cheap. I was able to swap part of my stash of 6.5 Creedmore for 6mm Creedmore headstamped brass so now I have enough 6mm CM brass to shoot-out at least 2 barrels.

Back