Ruger American in .22-250

Heretic

Anyone have one in this caliber? I have one in 7mm-08 and it's accuracy is pretty good with factory ammo. Got dies for my b-day so I'll be working up loads soon.

I have a Savage 10 with a 1 in 12" twist Varmint bbl. It's EXTREMELY accurate but I haven't been able to get anything over 55 grain to stabilize. Also, it's flippin' heavy to drag for a full day of hunting.

With the 1 in 10" twist on the American I'm guessing I should be good with heavier bullets.

Appreciate the input. I'll have to sell the Savage to fund the Ruger.

I would not sell the Savage to buy the American, unless you really want to get rid of a a good rifle for the cheapest flimsiest bolt action on the market.

I have a Ruger m77 in 22-250 with a shilen 10 twist. It shoots the 69 smk very well, though I've only tried at 100 yds so far. I haven't tried anything longer/heavier, as they likely will not work, but if I ever get my hands on some 75 amax I'll try them.

That said, like theshedhunter posted above, I don't know that I'd trade a good shooting savage 10 for a budget rifle like the American.

Last edited:
Mine has a 14" twist barrel-I purchased it thinking it had a 10" twist. I spoke with Ruger tech staff and they said the web page was in error. Also I have seen some reports on Internet bulletin boards where some owners swear theirs has a 10" twist. Who knows-another Ruger variant? Anyway mine is a nice inexpensive accurate rifle despite the twist. It is a great rifle for what it is.

Originally Posted By: Anton ChigurhI have a Ruger m77 in 22-250 with a shilen 10 twist. It shoots the 69 smk very well, though I've only tried at 100 yds so far. I haven't tried anything longer/heavier, as they likely will not work, but if I ever get my hands on some 75 amax I'll try them.

That said, like theshedhunter posted above, I don't know that I'd trade a good shooting savage 10 for a budget rifle like the American.

I dont think id bother to try the 75 a-max in a ten twist, I couldn't get them to shoot in my 1: 9 savage

Ok, good to know. I didn't really expect them to work in my 10 twist, so maybe I should save my time and money. And since I don't think I'll be single loading my AR, I don't have another use for them.

Back