New bench and press!

dpollard

I finally broke down and built a new reloading bench over the weekend and bought a new press today! Built the bench with the help of my dad and enjoyed the father/son time. I started reloading 4 years ago and have recently got into shooting a lot of USPSA matches and my wife has also joined the fun. Since then, my (or I should say our) volume of shooting has risen dramatically and the old Lee Pro 1000 was just not cutting it anymore, although it served its purpose very well. Today I bought a Dillon XL 650 with casefeeder. I am very impressed thus far. I still need to set up the dies and adjust them (tomorrow night's task). The new bench is very solid and I now have room to spread out a little bit. It is 72" wide x 3'tall and about 37" deep and is anchored into the wall studs. The height allows me to reload standing up, which for me makes it easier to visually verify each case gets a powder charge. I'm excited about the new set up.

Last edited:
Nice set up....Now, let's see....New storage shelves, electrical power strips, brass management system, cleaning tools and bench, etc...It's going to be fun...
thumbup1.gif

Set it up the way you like it and hopefully it will last you a long time.

I have been using the same Formica (remember Formica?) topped bench for well over thirty years and my RCBS Rock Chucker sitting on it I bought over 40 years ago and I don't plan on changing either of them any time soon. Set it up the way that I wanted back then and it still works pretty darn good for me now. All I need is someone to keep it all tidy and neat for me and I will really be sitting pretty!

Nice. Ya the competitive shooting demands more time at the bench. Got the wife talked into IDPA with me can't wait.
And benches are like safes never big enough

Ran my first 100 rounds through the new press last night after getting my dies adjusted. It's so nice having a sturdy bench and a smooth running machine! I'll get the rest of it put together as time goes on with more shelving, power strips etc...

I have 2 benchs similar to yours, I put 5 coats of gloss MinWax poly on the entire bench about 8 years ago, and it is holding up very nice and No slivers ever.

What's up with that odd sliver of carpet?. Going to be standing there I would go for the rubber mat. Thick ones too like stock trailer mats. Just me.

Riflemann, thanks for that tip, I was actually wanting to coat it with something, just wasn't sure what. I'll check into the minwax.

Smokless, that piece of carpet has just been sitting in my garage since I bought the house. It was there so it stayed there
smile.gif
A rubber mat would be nice.

Back