won't win any races but it will do

Brownie

Finally after weeks of wind rain work and kids sports I was able to go to my happy place. I had loaded up some 55 gr varmageddon over varget from 25~27 in .3 grain increments and 25.7 and 27 showed promise. I loaded 15 of the 27 and 10 of the 25.7 and headed to the range. The 27 gave me about 1 MOA and the 25.7 about 5/8 MOA

my view from the bench. You can see the 100 yard backstop to the right and the 200 through the scope.

Here's the 100 target outside to outside of furthest holes

Here's the 200 yarder

Going to load up more and get them chronoed and make a drop chart for this load wont be the fastest but its pretty acurate

You don't need to win races with that glass you have on there. Find a load that shoots and dial it up and knock them dead.
smile.gif

I love those pictures.

My 200 yard target.

738e95ab-c0a1-43e2-b6dd-9ecc76bad4b2_zps3d96c33c.jpg

Originally Posted By: 3DHUSKERYou don't need to win races with that glass you have on there. Find a load that shoots and dial it up and knock them dead.
smile.gif

That's the plan. Unfortunately that scope won't be staying on that rifle its just residing there till my grendel upper gets here. Whenever that may be......

Good Shooting!

There are much better powders for a .223 with a 55 grain than Varget. It's slow...you just can't get enough in the case to get your speed up. If you want ragged holes with Varget, load it DOWN to around 23.0 grains. At your 27.5 grain load, your still 300 fps. slower than a stiff load of CFE223, TAC, or Benchmark.

It should be just as good with one of the powders I listed. It will shoot flatter, and hit harder too.

Lol if I could find any of those other powders I would. I know the one pound of cfe I found a while back gave me awesome results but its been hard to find.

I've had three .223 rifles (Savage 112, CZ 527, Model 1 uppered AR-15) that just adored 26 grains of Varget with the 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and to a slightly lesser degree the 50 grain V-max. It is still my "go-to" .223 load to this day. In a few weeks I plan on wearing out a few hundred prairie dogs with it again this year. Can't wait!

I shoot Varget in about everything including 223 with 55 grain bullets. I don't care about the speed as it just has to shoot well. If need be I dial. Funny how your cases last forever when your not running at the top end.

Originally Posted By: GerbsWhat kind of scope is that? They look the same.

Mine is an SWFA 3X15 huskers is a SWFA too not sure if the magnification on his. Great scopes for the money.

Originally Posted By: BrownieOriginally Posted By: GerbsWhat kind of scope is that? They look the same.

Mine is an SWFA 3X15 huskers is a SWFA too not sure if the magnification on his. Great scopes for the money.

Mine is the SWFA 5x20x50 HD model.

Back