Palmetto State Range Report

Yellowhammer

Staff member
About a month or so ago, I bought a Palmetto State Armory daily deal upper at a price just to good to pass up. I got the PSA upper (minus bolt carrier group and charging handle) for $339.99. $15 dollars shipping and it was on my door step for $354.99. I had previously purchased a bolt carrier group from them for $79.99 plus shipping and collapsible stock kit from Model 1 Sales for $35 back right after the Newtown affair, plus a stripped PSA lower from a friend for $50. I added a RR charging handle I bought from another friend who had upgraded to a tactical latch for $15. A $20 parts kit from Mike Milli and standard trigger I already had and rifle was complete.

Next I caught a heck of a deal from Nathez Shooters Supply on a Nikon Coyote Special 3-9x40 scope for the rock bottom price of $149.99 and Venatic picked up a SWFA SS tactical one piece mount for me for just under $50.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SSALT-30mm-Scope-Mount-P58814.aspx

So, after doing the math I have right at $780 in the complete rig.

My goal was a lightweight set up that I could take when I checking feeders and general all around use. I already had 2 ARs but both were heavy barrels. Before I added the scope and mount today, it weighed in at 6.2 pounds.

The upper specs are:

16" Barrel length
416 Stainless steel barrel
5.56 NATO Chamber
1 in 7" twist rate
M4 Feed ramps
MI SS12G2 free-float Rail
A2 Flash Hider
Forged upper receiver
T-Marks

Barrel: 16", 416 Stainless, Modified A2 profile. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. Barrel is finished off with a Midwest Industries SS12G2 12" free-float rail, low-profile gas block and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 Flat top AR upper is hard coat anodized black for durability. Featuring M4 feedramp cuts, T-marks, these upper upper receivers are made for us right here in the USA.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...ing-handle.html

41886_dd.jpg

Venatic came over today with the scope mounts so I could get my scope mounted up and shoots some groups. After getting it all mounted up, it looked like this:

6624F908-B66F-4307-931C-F7F7F9858609_zpsfuarkfyz.jpg

For purposes of sighting in, I put the upper on top of one of my other lowers with an A2 stock and a Rock River NM 2 stage trigger.

I brought out a few different loads to see how it would do. To get it on paper in general we shot 5 rounds of unknown brand of fmj. Then I shot a 3 shot group using Federal Vital shok and 55 grain Sierra game kings. The first two were almost touching and I flinched a little on the third. Next 3 shots were what I wanted to sight in for: Ultramax 68 grain hp. This 3 shot group measured under a half inch with shots #9,10 and 11. I believe the speed through Venatic's chronograph was 2586 fps or there abouts.

BCDC39DC-D914-49C2-A5B7-F4BE7B5B6758_zpsk36wlqyx.jpg

2F474A7C-286E-4B0A-866F-89CA30D0EE94_zpskjkepinr.jpg

Next I shot a 3 shot group using Black Hills 60 grain vmax at 2800 fps. They were under an inch, but not as tight as the 68 grainers.

We made our final scope adjustments, and I shot the this group for a 100 yard zero.

49800C6A-DAB1-463B-91BE-BEC898507315_zps0bwi6emu.jpg

Keep in mind that these groups were shot with the Nikon Coyote Special on 9 power. As you probably know, the retical on the Coyote is a circle. At 100 yards the circle basically encompassed the 4 inch diamond on the corner of the target, leaving the bulls eye in the center of the "dot". If you were to use a fine cross hair scope no telling what kind of group you might be able to shoot.

BDC_Predator_Reticle.png

This upper definitely liked the Ultramax 68 grain hollow points, so now I guess I will have to hunt up a few more boxes of them.

Bottom line, I would have to say that those "cheap" PSA uppers are hard to beat.

Last edited:
Nice report. Thanks for posting.

Palmetto makes great stuff.
I picked up the 1-8" Wylde chambered 16" midlength upper with the same barrel profile and same handguard.
I can't wait to get it to the range.

I also picked up the 1-7" .556 16" midlength with the FSB and traditional handguards back in December. It's the same barrel you have. I added a flip rear sight and sighted it in @100 yds. Hitting a pop can is easy with irons. I am glad to see how tight your groups are through the same barrel.

That is nice group for a inexpensive light upper for sure. I will be ordering one of those soon. Stainless has to be sanded before it can be painted correct? About scopes, I bought couple nikon 4x12x40 nikoplex for 170$ shipped. No side focus and really nice glass. No issues with them. Thanks for the report Yellowhammer. Dan

It will kill more than just paper too. The Ultramax 68 grain HP was a one shot drop just in front of the shoulder.

PSAboar14_zps3d9a0337.jpg

Nice and light to carry around too. Just what I wanted. I need a RR 2 stage trigger and Magpul single point sling to complete the package.

Being used to a RR 2 stage trigger, I shot before I was ready on the first hog this morning.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerThey do have this complete kit in stock for $579

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...-rifle-kit.html

The link says out of stock

PSA 16" Mid-length Stainless Steel 223 Wylde SS12G2 Rifle Kit
Email to a Friend
Be the first to review this product
Availability: TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK
ADD TO COMPARE
QUICK OVERVIEW
16" Barrel length
223 Wylde Chamber
1 in 8" twist rate
Lead-lapped bore
M4 Feed ramps
A2 Flash Hider
Forged upper receiver
T-Marks
M16 Bolt Carrier
HPT/MPI Carpenter 158 Bolt
PSA Classic Lower Build Kit

It is now, but was available when I posted. These prices are so good they go fast.

The one I got was out for a while and as soon as it came back in I got one. Now it is out again. They do have one that comes with a Nikel Boron BCG for $599 and one with out a BCG but with a Bushnell AR scope and Burris PEPR qd mount for $549 or at least they did.

Here is an upper for $189!
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php...ing-handle.html

How can you beat that? Without the front site would be better for me, I guess but they may be giving them away before long.

189 is cheaper than dirt but not what I am looking for... I have been eyeing the Rock River Arms coyote upper for an older bushmaster I have... After reading your report and seeing how well the upper you bought performed I don't think the Rock River could do much, if any better.. And if It did shoot better I don't know if it would be a $405.00 difference/better... None of the other uppers they have available have a report backing them up like the one you did..

Nice looking gun and its a shooter as well, cant ask for a whole lot more, I just bought a complete PSA upper last night locally, it will be a bit of a project to get the whole rifle together but that's part of the fun.

Quote:That's a 1/8 twist yours is a 1/7 Will it shoot the heavier bullets? Thanks. Dan

My other two are 1:8 and they shoot the 60 grain vmax very well. 1:8 should shoot anything you want to shoot.

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:That's a 1/8 twist yours is a 1/7 Will it shoot the heavier bullets? Thanks. Dan

My other two are 1:8 and they shoot the 60 grain vmax very well. 1:8 should shoot anything you want to shoot.

I hope the kit comes back in stock. The kit you linked to . Its a 223 Wylde barrel not a 5.56

The link says out of stock

PSA 16" Mid-length Stainless Steel 223 Wylde SS12G2 Rifle Kit
Email to a Friend
Be the first to review this product
Availability: TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK
ADD TO COMPARE
QUICK OVERVIEW
16" Barrel length
223 Wylde Chamber
1 in 8" twist rate
Lead-lapped bore
M4 Feed ramps
A2 Flash Hider
Forged upper receiver
T-Marks
M16 Bolt Carrier
HPT/MPI Carpenter 158 Bolt
PSA Classic Lower Build Kit

Last edited:
Got an Aimpoint PRO in to mount to my upper.
It's the PSA 16" Mid-length Stainless Steel 1-8" 223 Wylde SS12G2 lightweight profile.
The lower is a PSA with a RRA 2 stage trigger and an Ergo F93 buttstock.
RRA BCG.

P1010025.jpg

I did a quick sight in today. I was shooting Black Hills 5.56mm 77gr OTM factory seconds. This is their MK262 load.
I shot 35 rounds total.
15 rounds at 50 yds to get the Aimpoint centered.
Then I went to the 200 yd line and shot 10 rounds to get it centered on the paper plate. The glare on the white target was horrible. I could have done better with a black target, but it was a quick and dirty sight in.
Here's the second string of 5 @ 200 yds (I ripped the staple hole in the middle.):

P1010026.jpg

I then put up two paper plates at 100 yds and shot two groups:

P1010030.jpg

P1010029.jpg

In and out of the range in less than an hour and I only shot 35 rounds of my precious ammo.

Not bad with a 2 MOA red dot!
I am going to have to scope it and see what it does.

Back