1965 Remington 700 22-250

MLC

I have a chance to buy a 1965 Remington 700 22-250 in very nice condition for $450. He said it was the first year Remington made the 700 in the 22-250. It does not have the checkered stock it's the plain smooth one. Where these good shooters back then and also does anybody know what the twist in the barrel is on that year.

Originally Posted By: MLCI have a chance to buy a 1965 Remington 700 22-250 in very nice condition for $450. He said it was the first year Remington made the 700 in the 22-250. It does not have the checkered stock it's the plain smooth one. Where these good shooters back then and also does anybody know what the twist in the barrel is on that year.

They are good shooters - if you get it, you should have the action bedded. Twist is 14"

Keep in mind that it is a ~50 year old varmint rifle, that shoots a hot cartridge - the throat and barrel may be toast!

Either it has been re-stocked or someone re-did the stock and removed the checkering or it MIGHT be a 40X from that era. No matter what route was taken, its definitely not original unless it is a 40X.

For a point of reference, both the ADL and the BDB stocks both had checkering. Depending on the exact time frame, some of it was pressed checkering, but all standard factory 700's BDL's and ADL's had checkering.

It might be one of the cheaper knock-offs that Rem put out occasionally as special runs for someone. The Model 78 Sportsman was an example, and IIRC, it was an ADL style of rifle and it had no checkering.

The impressed checkering began in 1962 when the 700 was introduced. It was used in both the ADL and BDL grades till about 1974 when the cut checkering was introduced in the BDL grade. Sometime in the (early?) '80's, they started producing the cut checkering pattern for the ADL grade, too.

Remington often made special runs for distributors (back then, and now), and a run without the impressed checkering would be very likely, since the public despised the pressed in checkering, and most shooters would prefer the stock to be plain.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter
MLC said:
Keep in mind that it is a ~50 year old varmint rifle, that shoots a hot cartridge - the throat and barrel may be toast!

Exactly. I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for that rifle without having it scoped first.

Not that the OP asked, but $450 sounds high to me given the description of the rifle sounds quite plain. Unless it's in exceptional condition and then only if the bore looked really good...

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: CatShooter

Exactly. I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for that rifle without having it scoped first.

Not that the OP asked, but $450 sounds high to me given the description of the rifle sounds quite plain. Unless it's in exceptional condition and then only if the bore looked really good...

Grouse

You could get $400 for the action alone IF the barrel was toast. Which it might very well be like CS said.

I would have no hesitation grabbing it and shooting it just to see what it could do.

We'll called today trying to make arrangements to meet him and he traded Sunday. So I going to get me something new. For the 22-250 what is the best barrel length for long range varmint hunting 26"?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SShooterZOriginally Posted By: The Famous GrouseOriginally Posted By: CatShooter

Grouse

You could get $400 for the action alone IF the barrel was toast. Which it might very well be like CS said.

I don't understand the comment. Are you agreeing with me?

If the action is worth $400, then why would I pay $450 for a crapped out rifle just to get the action that's only worth $400? Seems to me like that's throwing away $50. At least.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseI don't understand the comment. Are you agreeing with me?

If the action is worth $400, then why would I pay $450 for a crapped out rifle just to get the action that's only worth $400? Seems to me like that's throwing away $50. At least.

Grouse

Not agreeing with you at all. You could get $70+ for the bottom metal, probably another $50 for the trigger and even if the stock was completely plain Jane, at least $25 for that. [beeep], even a shot out barrel could get you $25-$50 on several sites. So, for a $450 investment on an older 700 that for most, is a more desirable action than the current manufacturer versions, you could either have a nice shooting .22-250 or turn a profit of close to $100. Your risk is nill.

Missed that one? I wouldn't shed a tear depending on what he wanted for it. Nice rifle but I'm going with the barrel was probably toast.

Back