primer prices

19grizz69

was at the local sportsman store and saw some small rifle cci 400 primers 32.95 a 1000 .this seems a little high to me. what are you guys paying??

Originally Posted By: 5spdThey run from $34 to $41 depending on what local store one hits around here.

Same here. Wasn't that long ago, they were under 20.00 per 1000.

Paid $40/1000 for CCI 300 and 350's and $44/1000 for Fed 205 Match's today. That shop always kinda runs the high end on prices, but they have inventory, and they can get what price they set considering Cabelas and Gander Mountain in town run higher still, but are always sold out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: D_BellOriginally Posted By: 5spdThey run from $34 to $41 depending on what local store one hits around here.

Same here. Wasn't that long ago, they were under 20.00 per 1000.

Last time I bought primers for 20/k was back when the first Bush was in office. They went to 24.95 during the panic of Clinton's election and we thought life had ended. They are anywhere between 36-41/k now.

Funny thinking about it. Back then you could find bullets and powder but couldn't buy 100 primers with a pound of gold. Fast forward to present day. I can find just about any primer, bullets are rare and can't find powder to save my azz.

Quote:The days of being able to reload cheaply are long gone. But, when you look at the price of factory ammo, maybe it's not too bad after all.....+100...I think that even at today's prices, if you can buy in bulk for the future, you will be ahead, especially after the 'Hyper-Inflation" sets in if the economy that is being falsely held down by the Federal Reserve sets in...The current prices will seem like the 'Good Ole Days' then...

A similar condition existed back in the mid '70s under the Carter administration (following Johnson's Great Society) and interest rates jumped into the mid teens because of it..Everyone was hurting except those that had a pile of cash to invest in the Money Market accounts that rolled over every seven days...

1000 remington 7.5's are running right in the $30.00 range at one store and $40 at another. Small pistol are about a $1-5 more depending on what you want.

$35.99 / 1k for both small and large rifle was what I paid back in January when I picked up a few 1000.

I had one 1k box that had a $32.99 price tag on it from about 2 years ago.

Like a lot of things, prices on reloading components don't rise at an even pace over time. They stay the same and then jump a double digit percentage all at once. I had pounds of powder purchased years apart that were all $19.99. Then suddenly, it was $23.99.

It's always interesting to me to look at prices in differnt contexts. Many people, for example, believe that gasoline was "cheap" back in the 1960s. Well, compared to today's prices, that would be true, but look at it compared to the average annual income at the time and it was actually MORE expensive in 1965 than it is now.

Also, if gasoline had just kept pace with inflation since the 1960s, we'd now be paying about $7 a gallon or more.

Grouse

I bought some CCI small pistol for $31.99 last week. The store had a good selection of Remington primers but they were priced $39.99. The guy at the cash register told me that the only reason the CCI weren't $35.99 was they had to drop their price to match a wal mart down the street

The had a good selection of rifle powder but no pistol powder. I was in about a month ago and they had a large selection of rifle powder. About half as much now.

The local Scheels had a good supply of CCI, Winchester, and
Remington primers. Most were prices between $35/1000 to
$40/1000, with some BR flavors at $45. They had a selection
of rifle powders, more towards medium to big game cartridge
loading...No Varget or Benchmark. A shooters supply place
a few hours south has primers priced in the $30-$32/1000
range, and when I buy them, I get them there, and have a
friend, that lives nearby, pick them up for me to avoid
HAZMAT fees. Small bore powders, and shotgun/pistol powders
seem to be the rare commodity at the moment. Sure am glad I
bought 8lb jugs of both when I had the chance last year.

Squeeze

I've never considered myself a "Hoarder", but I do believe in bulk buying when I can afford it...I'm starting to pack up my 'gun room' for the upcoming move and started going through my Primer Supply and found a few interesting things...At least I'm staying ahead of the inflation curve...
thumbup1.gif

Note the price ($13.95)

Obviously been around for awhile....

Back