FMJ Rounds For a .243 Win

Sebastian

Hey guys, I was just wondering what FMJ rounds are available for a .243 Win. I want to use it for hunting coyotes and maybe bobcats, I like the whole idea of small hole in small hole out. I don't relode so it has to be factory made ammo.
Thanks.

The general consesus is that FMJ's only belong on the range when target shooting. Since some states don't allow FMJ's for hunting because there isn't reliable expansion in the animal, most hunters find it irresponsible to use them for hunting. Get a cheap soft point bullet like you would use for deer. They will expand enough to kill the coyote effectively, but not enough to tear a big hole in it.

Last edited:
I would prefer a controlled expansion built. Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX, Nosler Partition if you're looking to keep small holes.

However, in a 243, I have had good luck with Speer 70 gr TNTs and Sierra GK's.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pahntr760

However, in a 243, I have had good luck with Speer 70 gr TNTs and Sierra GK's.

on coyotes and bobcats?

Coyotes, yes. Never killed a cat. They have a nice entrance and rarely exit on broadsides (TNTs). And I meant to put Sierra MKs. They will typically pencil through, IME.

I think the only way to really save bobcats or fox is to use a 17cal or rimfires (at moderate ranges). But that's just an observation from here. Again, I've never killed a cat.

Originally Posted By: roky0702The general consesus is that FMJ's only belong on the range when target shooting. Since some states don't allow FMJ's for hunting because there isn't reliable expansion in the animal, most hunters find it irresponsible to use them for hunting. Get a cheap soft point bullet like you would use for deer. They will expand enough to kill the coyote effectively, but not enough to tear a big hole in it.
I am new to hunting, but wouldn't the shock of even a FMJ bullet the size of a .243 easily take out foxes, bobcats, and coyotes?
btw, I looked in the Kansas regulations booklet and I didn't see anything prohibiting FMJ's

Originally Posted By: SebastianOriginally Posted By: roky0702The general consesus is that FMJ's only belong on the range when target shooting. Since some states don't allow FMJ's for hunting because there isn't reliable expansion in the animal, most hunters find it irresponsible to use them for hunting. Get a cheap soft point bullet like you would use for deer. They will expand enough to kill the coyote effectively, but not enough to tear a big hole in it.
I am new to hunting, but wouldn't the shock of even a FMJ bullet the size of a .243 easily take out foxes, bobcats, and coyotes?
btw, I looked in the Kansas regulations booklet and I didn't see anything prohibiting FMJ's

What shock?

That is not typically how FMJ's kill. FMJ's rely heavily on yaw on contact to create a significant wound channel and impart it's kinetic energy to the target. Some FMJ's are designed to segment or fragment at the cannelure, but even those are unreliable in its terminal effects.

If you ever believe that FMJ's of any variety is a superior choice over any other choice based upon terminal effects, that's just ignorance. If you find yourself asking about the terminal effects of FMJ's on game, or recommending the use of FMJ's on game, you're 5 or 6 questions AHEAD of where you should be in your education. Meaning, you got a lot to learn yet before you even get to that point.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: SebastianOriginally Posted By: roky0702The general consesus is that FMJ's only belong on the range when target shooting. Since some states don't allow FMJ's for hunting because there isn't reliable expansion in the animal, most hunters find it irresponsible to use them for hunting. Get a cheap soft point bullet like you would use for deer. They will expand enough to kill the coyote effectively, but not enough to tear a big hole in it.

What shock?

That is not typically how FMJ's kill. FMJ's rely heavily on yaw on contact to create a significant wound channel and impart it's kinetic energy to the target. Some FMJ's are designed to segment or fragment at the cannelure, but even those are unreliable in its terminal effects.

If you ever believe that FMJ's of any variety is a superior choice over any other choice based upon terminal effects, that's just ignorance. If you find yourself asking about the terminal effects of FMJ's on game, or recommending the use of FMJ's on game, you're 5 or 6 questions AHEAD of where you should be in your education. Meaning, you got a lot to learn yet before you even get to that point.

Chupa

There ya' go. Vast and unlimited experience once again raises its head to set the world right.

Originally Posted By: SebastianOriginally Posted By: roky0702The general consesus is that FMJ's only belong on the range when target shooting. Since some states don't allow FMJ's for hunting because there isn't reliable expansion in the animal, most hunters find it irresponsible to use them for hunting. Get a cheap soft point bullet like you would use for deer. They will expand enough to kill the coyote effectively, but not enough to tear a big hole in it.

There are so many "soft" point bullets; hollow point bullets; and "ballistic"-tipped bullets readily available in .243 factory ammo...why on earth would you want to use a FMJ?
In my personal opinion, even if the bullet placement is good, you will have a lot more coyotes running off (which you then will have to track in order to recover), than what it would be worth.

Not only that, but based on my own experiences when I was younger, and shot FMJs from an SKS...FMJ's tend to richocet quite a bit more (even off of non-rocky ground) than soft points or hollow points.

And if you are planning to hunt in the state of Kansas, and are new to hunting.....take note that (as stated in the regulations booklet, as well as on KDWPT's website) NOT all regulations are listed!!!!
So, before just automatically believing that you may use FMJs for predator hunting....I advise contacting your local KDWPT Game Warden, and verifying whether it truly is legal or not.

And on a side not: If you indeed plan on hunting with FMJs in my state, PLEASE, let me know ahead of time exactly where in Kansas you intend to be hunting...so that I will stay away from that area...because I don't want to get shot accently by one of your richoceting bullets.
cool.gif

Now I'm confused.....Is Ireland in Kansas?
unsure.gif

Chupa, I get the feeling Winny Fan don't like you to much????

Last edited:
fmj's on animals just flat out don't work. sure, on occasion you might put one down relatively quickly but for each one of those, 10 will run for a loooong way. i have used sierra matchkings out of a 308 for coyotes, even with a perfect chest shot they have run 150 to 200 yards. usually with no blood for the first 50 yards or so. without snow it is almost impossible to find them.
if using a 243 for bobcats, you must start with the understanding that you will likely ruin the hides. for coyotes, that is another story. a good bullet in the 243 will do pretty well on coyotes, but if you intend to keep hides you might want to try something a little smaller like a 223 or 204.

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Originally Posted By: SebastianOriginally Posted By: roky0702The general consesus is that FMJ's only belong on the range when target shooting. Since some states don't allow FMJ's for hunting because there isn't reliable expansion in the animal, most hunters find it irresponsible to use them for hunting. Get a cheap soft point bullet like you would use for deer. They will expand enough to kill the coyote effectively, but not enough to tear a big hole in it.

There are so many "soft" point bullets; hollow point bullets; and "ballistic"-tipped bullets readily available in .243 factory ammo...why on earth would you want to use a FMJ?
In my personal opinion, even if the bullet placement is good, you will have a lot more coyotes running off (which you then will have to track in order to recover), than what it would be worth.

Not only that, but based on my own experiences when I was younger, and shot FMJs from an SKS...FMJ's tend to richocet quite a bit more (even off of non-rocky ground) than soft points or hollow points.

And if you are planning to hunt in the state of Kansas, and are new to hunting.....take note that (as stated in the regulations booklet, as well as on KDWPT's website) NOT all regulations are listed!!!!
So, before just automatically believing that you may use FMJs for predator hunting....I advise contacting your local KDWPT Game Warden, and verifying whether it truly is legal or not.

And on a side not: If you indeed plan on hunting with FMJs in my state, PLEASE, let me know ahead of time exactly where in Kansas you intend to be hunting...so that I will stay away from that area...because I don't want to get shot accently by one of your richoceting bullets.
cool.gif

Oh boy
crazy.gif
Well don't ever come to Oregon then or if you do don't leave the Portland city limits. We shoot enough FMJ, tracer, incindiary ammo, and Tannerite out in the woods, mountains and deserts that you'll never want to come west of the Rockies again. We don't wear hunter orange either.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogNow I'm confused.....Is Ireland in Kansas?
unsure.gif

Might be true. But I have him on "Ignore", so I can't see his posts anyway. Putting people on "ignore" is a wonderful thing, really cuts down on the repetitive ridiculousness.

Chupa

Try Hsm factory ammo in a 95gr vld hunting. I know that the 87gr vld hunting leaves a small exit hole and absolutely drops them. Take that for what it's worth, I've only hit 3 yotes with them, but it really has been a good load for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogNow I'm confused.....Is Ireland in Kansas?
unsure.gif

Lol, Sorry I didn't clarify, We are are moving to Kansas in about two months. I can hardly wait!
thumbup.gif

btw, Thanks for the input everybody!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: canislatrans54Originally Posted By: SebastianOriginally Posted By: roky0702The general consesus is that FMJ's only belong on the range when target shooting. Since some states don't allow FMJ's for hunting because there isn't reliable expansion in the animal, most hunters find it irresponsible to use them for hunting. Get a cheap soft point bullet like you would use for deer. They will expand enough to kill the coyote effectively, but not enough to tear a big hole in it.

1: There are so many "soft" point bullets; hollow point bullets; and "ballistic"-tipped bullets readily available in .243 factory ammo...why on earth would you want to use a FMJ?

2: Not only that, but based on my own experiences when I was younger, and shot FMJs from an SKS...FMJ's tend to richocet quite a bit more (even off of non-rocky ground) than soft points or hollow points.

3: And if you are planning to hunt in the state of Kansas, and are new to hunting.....take note that (as stated in the regulations booklet, as well as on KDWPT's website) NOT all regulations are listed!!!!

cool.gif

1: I want to use FMJ's because I want to save the pelt
2: I have already taken a hunter safety course and I try to be careful about those kind of things. Thanks for the heads up though.
3: I will defiantly have to do that.
4: Lol, we are moving to Arlington so I'll probably be hunting in that general area. I'll probably only hunt in the winter though.

Incidentally, It would be cool to go out sometime with someone that knows what they are doing.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 6724fmj's on animals just flat out don't work. sure, on occasion you might put one down relatively quickly but for each one of those, 10 will run for a loooong way. i have used sierra matchkings out of a 308 for coyotes, even with a perfect chest shot they have run 150 to 200 yards. usually with no blood for the first 50 yards or so. without snow it is almost impossible to find them.
if using a 243 for bobcats, you must start with the understanding that you will likely ruin the hides. for coyotes, that is another story. a good bullet in the 243 will do pretty well on coyotes, but if you intend to keep hides you might want to try something a little smaller like a 223 or 204.

If I had the money I would lol, All I have to work with now is my dads 20 gauge and .22, and my .243. I am also thinking of getting a 12 gauge.

Back