Uncleaned brass affecting accuracy?

BeaverKiller

I reload for my .223 and was out shooting at 300 yards but couldnt hit a steel plate that I was drilling every shot the day before. The brass I had shot the day before was what I loaded to shoot and was on its third reload. The accuracy was horrible for what it should have been. I dont have a cleaner for my brass so I just lube it and load it. My question is will not cleaning the brass somehow affect accuracy?

Nope. Much of the time I just wipe my brass down using a rag with a bit of dollar store rubbing alcohol on it and load away. If have a few hundred rounds of brass to do I will throw it in the tumbler but for the most part I do not. Shiny and pretty brass is nice to look at but tarnished brass shoots just as well. If I miss a critter at 400 yards it aint going to be because my brass is a bit dull looking.

Provided all other aspects were identical, I don't see the dirty brass being your issue.

More wind, too much coffee, parallax issues...lots of variables then just the brass.

I like shiny brass as much as the next guy, and probably more than I should...but I think your inaccuracy has to be due to some variable you haven't controlled. I'd take a good look at your scale and also make sure something's not screwing up your bullet seating operation.

If you have developed immediate problems with the same brass, you might want to take a hard look at your neck tension first, before moving to other areas...If you are loading a little on the 'hot' side for the distance, you may need to anneal and FL size it again and see if it comes back to what you had before....

I didnt think the brass was the issue but then again Im not all that much of a long range guy so I dont know all of the variables. Stupid question! But thanks for reassuring that its my bad aim! Haha

Originally Posted By: BeaverKillerI didnt think the brass was the issue but then again Im not all that much of a long range guy so I dont know all of the variables. Stupid question! But thanks for reassuring that its my bad aim! Haha

Wind or maybe the the bore is fouled bad enough to need a good cleaning. Might have a bit of copper fouling in there throwing off the accuracy. When my accuracy with a previously known good load goes to [beeep], I know it time to clean the rifle.

Back