Neck sizing

WGS

Are there any web sites, videos or articles on things we can do to the cartridge neck to improve accuracy?

Wayne

Wayne...Enter "Case Neck Sizing" in the Google search engine at the top of the page and you will get what looks like 10 pages of Predator Masters discussions on the subject...It will let you read until midnight or more....

Originally Posted By: WGSAre there any web sites, videos or articles on things we can do to the cartridge neck to improve accuracy?

Wayne

Not enuff information...

Are you talking about a hunting rifle, or a benchrest rifle - and is it less accurate than it used to be?

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: WGSAre there any web sites, videos or articles on things we can do to the cartridge neck to improve accuracy?

Wayne

Not enuff information...

Are you talking about a hunting rifle, or a benchrest rifle - and is it less accurate than it used to be?

I was reffering to a benchrest type rifle. I am always looking for more accurate rounds.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: WGSOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
WGS said:
Are there any web sites, videos or articles on things we can do to the cartridge neck to improve accuracy? Wayne

Not enuff information...

Originally Posted By: WGSI was referring to a benchrest type rifle. I am always looking for more accurate rounds.

Wayne

This like pullin' teeth.

Short range BR or 600/1000 yd BR

What calibers??

What kind of dies are you using??

Tight neck, no-turn neck, or SAAMI neck???

It DOES make a difference...

I agree not enough info on what the problem seems to be. That being said accuracy comes from consistantcy in the reloading process. Fire forming and neck sizing seems to get my brass consistant enough for my factory chambered rifles. If you have the time and cash then neck turning may be the answer. Accurateshooter.com has a good article on neck turning for amatures.

Sorry folks. I don't have a problem. I know there are things you can do to the neck area to improve accuracy. I was just looking for information that might help explain things.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: 6724i get the feeling we are not talking about a bench rest gun here!

I got the feelin' that we are not talkin' about much at all here!

It appears that some of you either didn't read my original question or misunderstood it. Thanks any way.

Wayne

WGS,

It makes a huge difference weather your shooting a $3000 dollar bench rest rifle, or a $200 Wally World special as to what your answer will be.

Are you trying to shoot a .007 group or a 1" group.

There are a number of things that you can do to your brass that will get you small accuracy gains in a good rifle.

Annealing, neck turning, chamfering angle, neck tension, neck length, sorting, and a host of other things, come to mind.

None of these things are going to help you, if your rifle is not up to it. You will just be wasting your time.

If you search these subjects in the Predator Masters search engine, you will find several threads on these subjects.

If you want help, you need to throw us a bone. What rifle? Caliber? Bullet? Powder? Pictures of groups? You get the picture?

There are a bunch of good people on here, with lots of knowledge, but we're not mind readers. We are willing to help with any question, simple or advanced.

Brownells and Midway have videos on turning necks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ninehorsesWGS,

It makes a huge difference weather your shooting a $3000 dollar bench rest rifle, or a $200 Wally World special as to what your answer will be.

There are a number of things that you can do to your brass that will get you small accuracy gains in a good rifle.

Annealing, neck turning, chamfering angle, neck tension, neck length, sorting, and a host of other things, come to mind.

None of these things are going to help you, if your rifle is not up to it. You will just be wasting your time.

If you search these subjects in the Predator Masters search engine, you will find several threads on these subjects.

If you want help, you need to throw us a bone. What rifle? Caliber? Bullet? Powder? Pictures of groups? You get the picture?

There are a bunch of good people on here, with lots of knowledge, but we're not mind readers. We are willing to help with any question, simple or advanced.

I've been reloading since the early 60's and I occasionally like to try new things. IE neck tension. Where can I read up on it. I may not use it, I just want to understand it. I will check Brownells and Midway for videos. Thanks

Wayne

Last edited:
To change neck tension you will need a bushing die, or send your die off to have it honed to whatever you want. This is for single loaded bench rest, F class, or varmint shooters. They just need enough tension to hold the bullet in place while it moves from the bullet box to the rifle. Brass is worked less as it is not being worked much in resizing.

You can look here.

Accurateshooter articles

accurateshooter brass prep article

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: 6724i get the feeling we are not talking about a bench rest gun here!

I got the feelin' that we are not talkin' about much at all here!

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesTo change neck tension you will need a bushing die, or send your die off to have it honed to whatever you want. This is for single loaded bench rest, F class, or varmint shooters. They just need enough tension to hold the bullet in place while it moves from the bullet box to the rifle. Brass is worked less as it is not being worked much in resizing.

You can look here.

Accurateshooter articles

accurateshooter brass prep article

The articles you listed are the type of info I was looking for. I can learn a lot from them.

Thanks

Wayne

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesWGS,

Brownells and Midway have videos on turning necks.

I am reading articles from Brownells. I have a problem with my computer with the videos on Midways site. I keep getting a "500 error". I need my IT guy to fix that. Any way thanks for your ideas.

Wayne

Last edited:
Try benchrest.com It's Bench rest central forums and you will find 20 yrs worth of accuracy information there. Whatever works for this crowd will work well for hunters if looking for ammo prep

Agreed. Quoting posts without comment? WTH???

Originally Posted By: coleridgeThis is the hardest thread I've ever tried to read...

Originally Posted By: C.JayAgreed. Quoting posts without comment? WTH???

Originally Posted By: coleridgeThis is the hardest thread I've ever tried to read... .

Back