solvent for Carbon.? Liquid Wrench???

DAB

This is an added question How do you fellas think Liquid Wrench would work or would it harm the bore since it is a strong penetrating oil???

First post below.

I am having a tough time getting the Carbon out of my 17 HMR rifles. Takes for ever.

I use Wipeout (3 or 4 applications and let soak)then it is Nylon brushing with Hoppies #9 till I get all the carbon out.

NOW I did a advanced search and found everything I didn't want. So please don't say do a search, unless there is some secret to doing a search.

So is there a better solvent that does a bang up job when it comes to Carbon cleaning?

Last edited:
I use the foaming stuff from gunslick on my rifles and it seemed to work really good I just fill it with foam and walk away come back half hour later and push a patch through

The M-16 and M-4 would get a layer of carbon that would make most gun owners faint after firing piles of Military ammo..

I would have my guys soak with a squirt bottle CLP the whole thing (except the plastic parts) and put it in a metal trash can and let it soak for a few games of Spades (2 hours)

Then take them out and scrub..

Then fill trash can with hot water and Tide with Bleach detergent. (yep)

Then scrub again, and watch how your cleaning brushes look like new.

Using high pressure nozzle and hot water spray the parts off to rinse, and then Immediately blow dry with an air compressor.
wipe thin coat of oil on gun, put back in the rack and get a beer.

It doesn't get any better than Ed's Red... I forget the exact ingredients, but believe it is equal parts of mineral spirits, ATF (Dexron III), acetone, and kerosene.

Also give Bore Tech "Chameleon" a try....I was amazed at the results when I tryed it. It removed carbon after I thought my barrels were really Clean. Just follow instructions!

Steve

I don't know which is harder, tracking down all the stuff for "Reds" or just scrubing the bore with a brush. For really dirty barrels, I use a brass brush instead of the fiber type. Alot more agressive.

DAB...A couple of years ago, I bought a .204 CZ from a close friend that needed to sell for financial problems and he is one of those that is fastidious about his firearm maintenance...A Bore Scope inspection indicated that there was about 8" of carbon build up from the chamber forward...

It was suggested by my local smith that also builds high dollar benchrest rifles to attack the problem with a brass/bronze brush that was saturated with a paste made of Kroil and OSSO (slightly finer than JB Bore Paste) with a lot of elbow grease...It did help and I wound up finishing it off with a home made electric bore cleaner that I cobbled together for about $13...The rifle shoots really great now.. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2618626

It may be a little hard to find a steel rod that will fit a .17 caliber, but my cleaner worked really well on my .223 and .204...

The Wipeout should work well if left to soak overnight with the ends of the barrel plugged. I also use Slip2000 Carbon Killer. Pretty amazing stuff. It's water soluble and even smells nice. It removes even the nastiest carbon stains from stainless revolvers. Just takes a brief soak and a very light scrub to do the job.

Originally Posted By: CAFRThe Wipeout should work well if left to soak overnight with the ends of the barrel plugged. I also use Slip2000 Carbon Killer. Pretty amazing stuff. It's water soluble and even smells nice. It removes even the nastiest carbon stains from stainless revolvers. Just takes a brief soak and a very light scrub to do the job.

The slip 2000 is great stuff but just a warning for those that are considering it. Its a water based super detergent that cleans very well but you MUST oil every surface that stuff touches when your done or rust will develop. Its great for cleaning the handguns though.

I've never needed anything more than wipeout and soak it overnight when needed on copper fouled bores.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: CAFRThe Wipeout should work well if left to soak overnight with the ends of the barrel plugged. I also use Slip2000 Carbon Killer. Pretty amazing stuff. It's water soluble and even smells nice. It removes even the nastiest carbon stains from stainless revolvers. Just takes a brief soak and a very light scrub to do the job.

The slip 2000 is great stuff but just a warning for those that are considering it. Its a water based super detergent that cleans very well but you MUST oil every surface that stuff touches when your done or rust will develop. Its great for cleaning the handguns though.

I've never needed anything more than wipeout and soak it overnight when needed on copper fouled bores.

My bad. I just assumed that everyone oils a gun after cleaning it. Maybe I'm the only one who does.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CAFRSlip2000 Carbon Killer.

I love this stuff, it make carbon go...Bye, bye! So easy, and no smell.

CRC UPPER ENGINE CONDITIONER IS THE BEST SOLVENT IVE FOUND FOR CARBON.5 BUCKS AT ANY AUTO PARTS STORE.DONT GET IT ON WOOD STOCKS OR OPTICS.

Back