What is a good 22-250 bullet for fur

I like sierra 60gr hp, they have done very well for me at close to 3500fps. I saw them in stock at midsouth shooter supply just the other day.

I hunt with guys that have good luck with sierra 52gr hpbt match as well.

Last edited:
I use the Sierra 55 grn BlitzKing. It out shoots the Nosler in my gun and vice versa in my brothers rifle. Both are quite similar in performance. Hit shoulder blades and get a pretty nasty hole. Through the ribs and the damage is generally tolerable. Raccoons at 40 yards? Well ... just don't do it ... that just ain't right.

I shoot the 55 grn Blitzkings also. They are one of the best bullets as far as Match type shooting I have used.

Bullet placement has alot to do with the fur damage. I shot one Coyote that came in and sat down facing but quartering to the left slightly. When I shot him through the chest it almost blew the left shoulder and leg off.
That is the worst one that I have encountered. Most are small holes.

Barnes 53 gr tsx is a very fur friendly bullet on coyotes, have not tried it on anything else. All 3 coyotes I shot nothing bigger then a dime size exit.

I like a 55 grain Sierra Game King sbt (1365) in my 22-250. Had small holes on 'cats and coyotes. Coyotes usually DRT and very accurate .

Originally Posted By: spotshotI like a 55 grain Sierra Game King sbt (1365) in my 22-250. Had small holes on 'cats and coyotes. Coyotes usually DRT and very accurate .

same here. i've tried lots of differnt bullets and this is what i've settled on. accurate and flat out dumps coyotes with minimal damage.

critrgittr, what twist are you shooting the 53 tsx's out of?? i've tried them in 1-12 and just can't get them to shoot well.

Originally Posted By: TrapShooter12

Bullet placement has alot to do with the fur damage. I shot one Coyote that came in and sat down facing but quartering to the left slightly. When I shot him through the chest it almost blew the left shoulder and leg off.
That is the worst one that I have encountered. Most are small holes.

You're exactly right, TS.

With the 22-250, you're driving a little bullet with a lotta powder. Luck is GOING to come into play because everything depends on how that bullet enters and exits and what it hits in between those 2 points.

Every cartridge is a compromise. The point is that before you can worry about pelt damage, you have to get to a situation where you can separate the pelt from its original owner. So everyone' situation is different in the quest to balance the best chance of putting coyotes down, with the least fur damage. If you're shooting coyotes at .223 distances with a .22-250, on average you're probably not doing yourself any favors pelt wise. But if you constantly see dogs that hang up at ranges where only the .22-250 will reach then...

Grouse

If your twist is around 14 then i would suggest working up a load using 40 gr Vmax
But I have a 10 and it loves the 50-53gr Vmax.

I like the 53gr Vmax (hard to find) but shoots flatter and tighter groups for me.

I used to try and Zip them up and load for speed. A few blown off legs and a bobcat that was almost cut in half, made me rethink that.
I slowed them down and got really picky and started to load for the best accuracy i could, using the slowest load i could. I ended up below 3700fps and shooting .3moa groups with a factory stock light weight hunting gun. I get a lot less blowouts, but when i do it's my fault and hit a bone of something, not the bullets fault. Better yet, I only had one runner this last season, and it only went 30yrds in a half circle. (death run)

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrI'm shooting a 1 in 14 twist in an umar

Mine didn't shoot the 53tsx worth a hoot. Never played with it much but has been the only bullet that wouldn't shoot 1/2in in the first 4-5 sets of test loads.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: crittr gittrI'm shooting a 1 in 14 twist in an umar

Mine didn't shoot the 53tsx worth a hoot. Never played with it much but has been the only bullet that wouldn't shoot 1/2in in the first 4-5 sets of test loads.

I had the same issue, but the my TC predator Venture loved the 53 Vmax.. I looked at the bullets.. They are different and designed differently then the others.

Originally Posted By: Steve K.You can also use the 52gr Sierra Matchking.....works very well to save fur!

Steve

This. +1
About as fur friendly as your gonna get with a 250. This was the bullet I shot when I was using a 250 for coyotes but have gone down the .17rem path since 2007. Ultimate fur friendly...

Back