--6x6.8 Custom Dies?--

blopez50

I know this topic has been discussed multiple times and I know guys are using Redding bushing dies.

Here is my question/situation: I'm interested in building one but have no desire (read will not use) bushing dies. I don't have a lot of time to reload and just want to run my brass through a die and have it come out the way I need! I don't care if it costs me extra or if they take a while to get. With all that said, how would you guys go about getting a sizing die made? Who would you use? I've never had custom dies made before and obviously don't know where to start.

Thanks!

RCBS can make you a custom set. Info is or used to be on their web site. Hornady does also if I recall...will be at least $200 or more though & you will need a reamer/chamber print to start.

There is another way to go with RCBS... you can send them three fired cases if you can get hold of loaded ammunition to fire in your new build.

Originally Posted By: blopez50I know this topic has been discussed multiple times and I know guys are using Redding bushing dies.

Here is my question/situation: I'm interested in building one but have no desire (read will not use) bushing dies. I don't have a lot of time to reload and just want to run my brass through a die and have it come out the way I need! I don't care if it costs me extra or if they take a while to get. With all that said, how would you guys go about getting a sizing die made? Who would you use? I've never had custom dies made before and obviously don't know where to start.

Thanks!

Are you looking at the black hole weaponry 6x6.8?

Get a 6.8 SPC FL bushing die, get the proper bushing and expander assy for the 6mm. Done!

Originally Posted By: R JohnsonFirst you will need a 6.8 SPC Type S bushing die made by Redding. Part # 77259 also you will need to change the decapping stem assembly to either a 6mm or .22 Part # 15203 for the 22 or 10242 for the 6mm. I use 2 bushings a .285 Which I run as a first step and then change out to a .267 and finish necking down the brass. I have found this method of using a two step process to be more uniform.

For a seating die you can use any Hornady 6mm-243 seating die adjusted to seat bullets to the proper depth.

Read more: http://www.blackholeweaponry.proboards.com/thread/813#ixzz30n8emFb1

Originally Posted By: blopez50^ That was the plan but I'm not dead set on it theirs.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

IIRC CH4D has the reamer prints to make custom dies for BHW chamber.

Originally Posted By: blopez50I know this topic has been discussed multiple times and I know guys are using Redding bushing dies.

Thanks!

CH4D has the reamer print for the BHW 6X6.8. Dave can make you up a standard type die. I know he has them as I sent them personally and we spent a long time chatting on the phone. The price is very reasonable. Great products at a great price.

I personally prefer to using bushings for my neck step downs but no reason the regulars won't work. For a good way to strt get a regular 6.8 RCBS sizer and do an initial sizing without the expander. That will get the process started and the final step will be much more satisfactory. Imperial Sizing Wax is your friend.

You'll really enjoy the 6X6.8. Feel free to contact ne if you need any help.

Greg

Last edited:
Thanks Greg!

So I already load 6.8 and have a standard die set for it. My hope was that I'd be able to run the traditional sizing die and just go from virgin SSA brass to ready to load 6x6.8 brass. Is this an unrealistic goal?

Originally Posted By: blopez50Thanks Greg!

So I already load 6.8 and have a standard die set for it. My hope was that I'd be able to run the traditional sizing die and just go from virgin SSA brass to ready to load 6x6.8 brass. Is this an unrealistic goal?

If you mean the CH4D you should be able to do that. Not unrealistic at all. That's why we set it up for them to do the dies

Greg

Gotcha.. Must have misunderstood. When I was reading your post above I was thinking that you were saying it would be necessary to run them through a regular 6.8 die first.

I'll admit, one more pass through the die really isn't that much of a time consumer but I just can't bring myself to do it!

I think I'll be ordering an 16-18" barrel with the new hurricane flutes.

Originally Posted By: blopez50Gotcha.. Must have misunderstood. When I was reading your post above I was thinking that you were saying it would be necessary to run them through a regular 6.8 die first.

I'll admit, one more pass through the die really isn't that much of a time consumer but I just can't bring myself to do it!

I think I'll be ordering an 16-18" barrel with the new hurricane flutes.

Not necessary but I recommend it. I strted doing that on my 20 PRACTICAL cases. They seem to come out a bit smoother. Of course I'm using a 650 for dase forming so it doesn't take any more strokes.

Greg

Yeah a progressive makes that chore much nicer! I've started making normal sizing a 2 step process. Decap with a Lee decapper on stage 1 then run a regular sizing die on stage 2. I run the decapper/expander mandrel all the way to the top of the sizing die, it gives me much lower and more consistent runout on the necks for some reason.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARYeah a progressive makes that chore much nicer! I've started making normal sizing a 2 step process. Decap with a Lee decapper on stage 1 then run a regular sizing die on stage 2. I run the decapper/expander mandrel all the way to the top of the sizing die, it gives me much lower and more consistent runout on the necks for some reason.

You should see what I was doing to make 17-223's without the proper dies. A couple gutted 223 dies and a 17 Remington sizer starting out with pretrimmed 20 PRACTICAL cases. I just found a set of Hornady 17-223 dies so I vam off to the races on my BHW PD popper. The 650 made it fast.

Greg

Back