Sorry Vmax Lovers

I sure would like to try those 17 Hornet 20g v max myself. Bought the 17 Hornet for my wife's birthday a couple weeks ago and can't find ammo.

So if you have some of those 17 Hornet 20 v max's please send me a PM I will gladly buy them. Brass also.

Thanks, Mick

Do softpoints like the .224 55gr Hornady SP act similar to the .224 55gr Hornady VMAX?

Just curious, it looks like the soft point has a similar thin varmint jacket that would suggest they would behave the same as VMAX, but who knows.

No they do not perform the same from what I have seen
The sp's are quite good for all around shooting such as pigs deer coyotes if your so inclined

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickI sure would like to try those 17 Hornet 20g v max myself. Bought the 17 Hornet for my wife's birthday a couple weeks ago and can't find ammo.

So if you have some of those 17 Hornet 20 v max's please send me a PM I will gladly buy them. Brass also.

Thanks, Mick

I think the 17 is 3/4 of the original poster's whole problem with a bullet he "thinks" is no good .

v-max bullets are okay if you keep the speed down.
I always wondered at what FPS the plastic tip melts.
I have melted a few soft point bullets, fired from my 220 swift.
On a damp day they just go up in smoke.

Originally Posted By: countrymileI think I see the problem. You were'nt using a predator caliber for predators. I havent seen to many coyotes run off shot with a 243 anything come to think of it.

Probably won't see much left of those 50 fox with a .243.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

What weight, what twist, and how fast. I am loading test loads for a Swift now.

Originally Posted By: countrymileOriginally Posted By: Pa. MickI sure would like to try those 17 Hornet 20g v max myself. Bought the 17 Hornet for my wife's birthday a couple weeks ago and can't find ammo.

Thanks, Mick

I think the 17 is 3/4 of the original poster's whole problem with a bullet he "thinks" is no good .

The 17 isn't the problem at all. They are perfectly capable of doing what the OP was using it for. The problem is the 20 and 25gr vmax bullets are a bit too explosive to be consistent. If the OP loaded 20 or 25gr hollow point bullets in his 17's he wouldn't have the issues he has now.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

In a very informal test my son and I test fired several 50gr Vmax bullets from a 22-250 at max speed. Shot into the side of pieces of oak 4x4 s. Range 80 yds. Indoor range. When we went to clean we found every single "plastic" tip intact. They don't melt and at least in our case barely deformed much.

I learn new stuff everyday here !
laugh.gif

Just to clarify a few items:

The .17 centerfires IMHO are ideal fox guns. I have killed hundreds of fox very efficiently with hollow point bullets (Berger Match Targets & Kindler Gold). I know there are many fans of these calibers for coyotes but for larger Northeastern coyotes I prefer something a little larger. As such, I use the .243 for coyotes NOT FOX.

Soft point bullets are amazing killing bullets but not fur friendly. If I didn't care about pelt damage and just wanted dead critters, I would choose a soft point everyday. Tight match hollow point bullets have performed best for me. Your mileage may vary...

I have shot 39 coyotes with V-Max in .223 and 22-250. To date I have only had 2 splatters and only one of those not retreved.38 out of 39 is about as good as I could hope for. 37 droped in their tracks.

I like v-max in 22 cal, but not in the .17, i use the hp in that.
I have found many of the red plastic tips in my dirt bullet stop, don't know where the melting thing got started.

Back