Anyone got tendinitis (tennis elbos) from reloading or shooting too much?

Coyotehunter_

I went to another forum on reloading and was surprised to see a few discussion on physical conditioning and medical problems that guys were having. There were several threads with guys complaining about getting tennis elbow from shooting competitively. One guy complained that he could not hold his lap top without pain.

I had the same problem this last season. Carrying all my gear and shooting a lot and suddenly my right elbow starting hurting.

I could not lift up my coffee cup without pain in my right elbow.

I went to the Dr. and he prescribed a few exercises to do and said to keep it iced down three or four times a day and then see how it does. I also was wearing one of those tennis elbow bands that wraps around the arm right below the elbow. Dr. finally gave me a shot of cortisone right at the point of pain in my elbow. Rest, ice treatments, shots and exercises have helped but it's not gone away completely. Oh yea and he advised to take Aleeve twice a day for a month or so.

I was just curious to know if anyone else has this problem from shooting too much. Using a progressive reloading machine could cause repetitive motion problems and lead to tennis elbow too.

If they are hand gunners I'd say their problem is more likely due to recoil than the reloading machine.

I've loaded a lot of ammo on my 550's over the last 20 years. No elbow problems here just shoulders but that comes from my work, not the reloading machine.

No tennis elbow...

... but loading and shooting too much did get me a divorce.

I am better for it now
lol.gif

the damage to my shoulders, elbow, hands etc is not from shooting or reloading. It is from other work I have done during my life.

occasionally I may feel those old injuries while in the process of shooting and reloading , but it is not from them.

I get Prone Elbow when Im out popping p-dogs as Im a prone shooter.
They hurt after 12 hrs of laying on the ground even with pads.

On tennis elbow...yea Ive had that a long time back but not from shooting or reloading.

I had a severe case of tendonitis from using the Dillon Super Swager. Did about 1000 223'sat one setting. Took ibuprofen three times a day forc about four months. I now only do 100 at a setting.

I did have a slight case years ago shoot around 300 rounds a week from a 44Mag and a 308 XP100 in IHMSA. Laid off a month and I was GTG. I was also 30 years younger.

Greg

Originally Posted By: vahunterNow I Have a new excuse for mine. I always thought it came from Hustler magazines.

Yup... No tendentious here either... Just carpal tunnel!
grin.gif

On the bright side though..... I still have my eyesight! LOL

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: vahunterNow I Have a new excuse for mine. I always thought it came from Hustler magazines.

grin.gif

Your lucky. I have tennis elbow carpaltunnel and without my coke bottle glasses or contacts I can't see chit. Mine was more of the internet variety and not sui much hustler maybe that's why my eyes are bad

Last edited:
My elbow is much better since I went to the Dr. I hurt my elbow back around 1997 working construction. It didn't give me any problems after I went to the Dr back in 1997 on workman's comp. I was pain free pretty much until 2013 winter. I feel for those other guys that have the same problem too.

I read a lot of the other response about tendenitis and how they treated their elbows. They did basically what my Dr told me to do. Stretching exercises, ice it down three times a day and rest it. If necessary get a shot of cortisone to help it heal faster. Doing an Google Search I found that up in Canada they use cold treatment and also electrical current treatment to help speed up the healing. I'm not sure if that works or not as I didn't pay for the equipment to treat myself with that method. I asked my Dr about the electromagnetic treatment and he was not really that keen on it. He said, "it's your money". So I didn't go that route.

Some one said they used a rubber band and put it around their fingers on the bad elbow side of their body and would open or spread their fingers apart against the resistance of the rubber bands. They said that helped them a lot. I'd never heard of that before.

If I could remember which forum it was I would post a link to it and those threads. But I can't remember which forum it was now.

Originally Posted By: Buster HindendI didn't get it from shooting, but I have it in my elbow and cant seem to get rid of it

so I feel for you

I had carpal tunnel once and wore one of those wrist braces that I got from the Drugstore. It worked. That and I switched to an Microsoft Ergonomic type keyboard. The regular key board was what gave me the Carpal Tunnel in the first place. I did a lot of typing back then and still do.

Some guys have to have an operation for carpal tunnel disease.

As for the eye sight. Not much that I can do about my eye sight. I take a lot of meds due to a heart condition. Those meds make my vision blurry.

I'm going to the eye doctor tomorrow and see what he says. I think I have a problem with the retina in my left eye. This eye doctor is associated with a medial group that includes opthomologist and eye surgeons that can fix more eye problems that my other Eye Dr that I got my contacts from. The other eye Dr works for Eye Mart and all they do is eye glasses and contacts no eye surgery or other things like that. So I'm going back to my regular eye Dr tomorrow. I went to him for several years since 2009.

I've noticed that my vision in my right eye is getting worse too. My eye glasses that I got back in 2012 are not helping as well as they did when I first got them. So maybe I need new lenses again.

I went to the range yesterday and took my Remington Model 660 in 222 cal. It shot pretty good groups at 200 yards. I had one flier. First shot. Might have been oil in the gun that I failed to clean out before firing the first shot or maybe I just screwed up that shot somehow. But the next three rounds were all inside the orange colored bulls eye of the larger Shoot N C targets I used. I have a Burris Full Field II scope on the Rem. I was shooting Remington R222R1 50 grain Pointed Soft Point bullets in 222 cal. I use to hand load 222 brass with a Lee Loader Hand tool. I still have it but don't have any bullets, primers or power for that system now. I still have the mechanical bar scale that I used to weight out the power. I use that to check the weight of my lead fishing jigs.

I also shot the Ambush Firearms 5.56 AR15. I slapped the Nikon on it for a while and then took that off and put the EOTECH on it. Both optical systems were sighted in for 200 yards and were shooting acceptable after being removed from the rail and reinstalled back on the rail. I keep these optical systems in their own transport boxed. Basically they are a large plastic pistol case and a smaller pistol case that the EOTech system came in.

I used the Lead Sled for both rifles which makes the bench shooting much more accurate. I tried 50 lbs of lead weights on the lead sled and then used to ratcheting type straps to secure the Lead Sled to the shooting bench. But the recoil moved the lead sled with each shoot. Both the 222 and the 223 rifles move the lead sled even though it was strapped down to the top of the shooting bench. I didn't think that the 222 or the 223 kicked that much but I guess it does. Although it was easy to realign the scope or the EOTECH red dot back onto the target after each shoot.

I took some wind flags with me and put them out along the path to the target. I could tell the wind was blowing pretty good right at the 100 yard mark. The shooting range has berms of dirt that run along each side of each of the four different ranges. The 200 yard range is at the end and the one side has a row of older Pine trees growing parallel to the berms length. There is a area where there are no pine trees (they might have died) and that lets the wind blow though that area which just happens to be right at the 100 yard mark. The wind played havoc with the bullets as it was changing directions a lot. But I still have a good day of shooting and enjoyed the range. It was not very crowded so I could concentrate and not get distracted by other shooters. All the other shooters were at the pistol range on the other end. Only one guy was at the 100 yard range next to me and he didn't get there until late in the day. One couple were down at the 50 yard range and shooting 22 cal rifles. So I could take my ear protection off at times and not have to worry about someone else shooting large cal rifles when I was not ready. It was a nice sunny day too. No rain and few clouds. A nice day in May to go to the range and shoot.

My elbow is doing better as it didn't really hurt much after I got home. And I carried a lot of gear during the day. I think that the ammo boxes weight a ton. They might weight around 50 lbs each. The lead sled weights 23 lbs and the weight bags with lead shot in them weight 25 lbs each. I spent the entire day up there this time. They open longer in the summer months. 7 to 7 during the summer. They close at 4 pm during the winter and fall. Heck by the time I get up there in the winter it's time to go home already. I'm a late riser. LOL

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: vahunterNow I Have a new excuse for mine. I always thought it came from Hustler magazines.

grin.gif

Back