6.5X284 V/S 264 Win Mag

I took my 264Win Mag to the range and for the most part I was very impressed. I was not at all impressed with the factory Remington 140gr Core Lokt factory ammo. The best I could get was 1.943" @ 100yds from 3 shot groups. This morning I reloaded some 140gr A-Max. I measured the coal with a projectile on the lans and got a total length of 3.306". I loaded 3 rds each with 61, 61.5, and 62gs of H4831sc seated at 3.304". The 62gr load cronyed @ 2930 fps at the muzzel.61gr grouped @ .401, 61.5gr grouped @ .444, and 62gr grouped @ .485. This is with a stock Model 700. The trigger is less than ideal but all in all I was satisfied

Jim N Iowa, there is no reason for one to be more accurate than the other due to the length of the action. The benefit to using a long action is that long, VLD match bullets can be used without intruding into the powder space inside the case. It helps velocity bye way of a slight increase in powder capacity and I suppose one could theorize that bullets with a very long ogive may be seated so deeply that neck tension suffers. It happens occasionally with long bullets and short actions and/or short throats.

My experience has been that Lapua brass and match grade bullets tend to be more consistent than (for instance) Winchester brass and typical hunting type bullets.

Last edited:
The 6.5s all shoot well, how fast do you want to go ? The 264 WM relies on longer barrel lengths to use the case capacity.

Back