I was wondering...

Rocky1

Got a neighbor couple miles down the road that cleans houses, for an excuse to get out of her's I think. Either that or so she can find more people to sit and listen to her, she talks non-stop. Not sure what it is, but she doesn't need the money regardless. She told me awhile back one of the guys she cleans houses for wanted to get rid of some 45 ACP Brass. I asked her how much, and got the typical, "I don't know; a bunch!" reply. Asked her what he wanted for it and she said $50, to give him a call and talk to him.

Tells me last week he's moving and he needs to get rid of this stuff if I'm still interested, so I got his address and phone number, gave him a call, and went to see him last night. Heckuva a nice guy, confronting some serious health issues, retiring with disability, and moving back home to central Florida. Bought a Condo and doesn't have room for all his toys. We walked out in the garage, and he has boxes and boxes and boxes of reloading goodies sitting there for me to look at. He's walking around calling out prices and I'm like, "Yeah, that works for me. Yep, that sounds good. Yeah, I know what they cost new!" On SEVERAL boxes of goodies.

Then he goes into the laundry room, and finds more boxes he forgot he had, inside other boxes!! And, we're off on calling prices again, and I'm over there scratching my head, and saying, "Damm...Let's add it all up, and see where we're at. I wasn't expecting all of this, Elaine told me you had some brass you wanted to get rid of." Counted the cash in my pocket and told him, "We're good up to $500! That's all I got with me."

So he writes it all down, get's out his calculator, starts figuring everything up, comes up with $294.50. I told him, "How about we just call it an even 3 bills, and dispense with making change." Then he walks back in the laundry room after we get everything loaded, and finds another box!! So I gave him $20 for that one.

Took the wife out for supper, she was out in the car the whole time, had a white Kleenex out the window waving it at me, trying to get me to surrender about half way through all this wheeling and dealing. So I figured I better!

I get home and take inventory and I have the following...

--------------------------------------------
Ammo:

20 rounds - 12 Gauge – 2 ¾” Federal #6
50 rounds - 12 Gauge – 2 ¾” Federal #8
25 rounds – 20 gauge – 2 ½” Sellier & Bellot #9

300 rounds – 45 ACP – Reloads – 200 grain Semi Wad Cutter
450 rounds – 45 ACP – Wolf Ammunition – 230 grain FMJ/Flat Point - Sealed Case
25 rounds – 44 Mag – Reloads – 230 grain – Cast Flat Point

Reloading Components:

100 – 45 ACP – Hornady - 230 grain FMJ/FP
100 – 45 ACP – Hornady - 200 grain HP
100 – 45 ACP – Speer - 185 grain HP
50 – 45 ACP – Nosler – 185 grain HP
1000+ - 45 ACP – Colorado Cast Bullet 225 grain FP

4800 – Large Pistol Primers (Remington, Speer, CCI, Federal, Fiochi)

100 – 25 Caliber – Hornady – 100 grain - .257 Spire Point

14 – 50AE brass
14 – 450 Marlin brass
20 – 25-06 brass
50 – 223 brass
10 lbs. – 38 Special brass
40 lbs. – 45 ACP brass

Used Reloading Equipment:

Assorted Empty ammo boxes for reloads
1 – 50 round – 45 ACP Plastic Shell Case
1 – 100 round – 45 ACP Plastic Shell Case
2 – 50 round – 44 mag/44Special Plastic Shell Case

Dillon Primer Flip Tray
Dillon 4 Stage Progressive Press – set up for 45 ACP (Yeah it's ALL there.)

Baggie of assorted ammo... 22LR, 22 mag, 45 ACP, 38 Special, 44 Special. Couple rounds each. And...

1 – Sharpie Marker
--------------------------------------------

I'm still shaking my head in disbelief!!!
blink.gif

Am I correct in thinking that I should have maybe stopped and bought a lotto ticket on the way home??!!

It looks like you forgot to add

1pc - candy from a baby

Good heavens man! You want to hit the PowerBall too?!?
smile.gif

You made a good buy there. Every once in a bit we all need to get lucky. I dropped $100 several Thanksgivigs ago and walked away with a new Dillon 550 and big Dillon tumbler and about $700 worth of other goodies

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DABJust goes to show you a Blind Squirrel can find a nut once in a while.
thumbup.gif

LOL!! Honestly, I was not expecting what I found at all! I was told he had about 50 lbs of brass, 45 and 308 and he wanted about $50 for it. Which I figured that in itself was worth the trip to town.

I walked in and he had this big box of brass sitting there, but the first thing he shows me is the Dillon Press, which it's not new by any means, it's obviously used, but in good condition. He said it's been packed away for years. When he lived in Colorado, he lived near one of the more affluent ranges, and he shot all the time. Got into reloading out there. Since moving here, he's not been able to find a range to his liking, so he just hasn't shot a lot, and he had thousands of rounds already loaded. Said, it's all set up for .45 ACP... $50!
huh.gif

2 boxes of primers, Winchester Large Pistol 1000 lot, $25/each. Never been opened. Said, "I looked them up on Natchez and their selling for $36 now." And, I said, "Yeah, and you got $30 shipping, and $30 Hazardous Material Fee." He said, "Absolutely right, so I think my price is more than fair." And, I said, "Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that it's too much. That price is MORE than fair."
blink.gif

Then he pointed out the case of Wolf ammo, said he paid $125 or so. How's $110 sound? I said, "SOLD!" Seal hasn't been broken on the box. It's still glued shut.

Then he wandered in the laundry room, and drug out one box, then said, "Oh, wait..." He grabbed another big box behind him on the shelf. Couldn't hardly pick it up. He started dragging goodies out, and rattling off prices, asking me if I thought it was fair every time.

After awhile I think he realized I was questioning his sanity! And, he told me that he's a Registered Nurse, worked at the State Hopsital, (aka... the looney bin), had a patient go off on him, and he took the guy down. They both landed on his right shoulder, on the concrete floor, and then another male nurse piled on trying to help him. Wrecked his right shoulder, has had two recontructive surgeries on it, neither successful, he can't handle heavy recoil anymore. Was diagnosed with Cancer a couple years ago, chemo kicked his a$$, and he simpy hasn't had the ambition to go out and shoot, even if his shoulder could handle it. He's now retiring, moving back to where he was born and raised, bought a condo on the river, and he doesn't have room to store any of this stuff.

He said, "I could have had a garage sale, or listed it for sale, but I'd rather give it away to someone I know is going to make good use of it. You don't have any idea how much you taking all of this is pleasing me." And, I said something to the effect that it really wasn't hurting my feelings any either.

The sad part is, he had almost as much stuff in 44 mag and 44 special, but he had someone else that was interested in that.

And, when we hit the 308 brass, he said he had a Savage 110 Scout he'd like to sell. But, I knew I didn't have enough cash on me to handle all of that. I may have to cash a check and go back to visit. Gun was in decent shape, had one scuff on the stock right behind the receiver. Nice camo paint job on that ugly synthetic stock, or a nice wood stock, would make that all better.

I was truly blown away, when I got home and took inventory. Almost feel guilty.

Not looking to sell anything at this point guys. On top of mine, I have 2 friends that shoot 45 ACP. Both have inquired about the possibility of reloading some ammo for them, so I better give them first shot or I'll never hear the end of it.

What a great score Rocky.
Yeah, I gamble a buck or two on the lotto occasionally!

Keep tellin` myself that my ships gonna` come in someday!

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Almost feel guilty.
Never feel guilty when you both agreed to a fair price!

You got a deal & he got rid of a lot of stuff in his way...both win.

Was headed out of the woods today, soaking wet! Got caught in one of the heavier cells of rain that came through here over the last 3 days, after working through several minor cells earlier in the day. So I wasn't having the best of days, to say the least.

My cell phone rings, and it's the neighbor again. She says, "Gary wants to talk to you!" So she put him on the phone, and he tells me that he found a couple more boxes of reloading goodies buried under some other goodies when he was packing, and wanted to know if I was ready give up that other $200 yet!

I laughed... He started rattling things off, and I told him I'd be in to see him soon as I got a shower and some dry clothes.

Get there this evening, with the other $200, and he has 2 boxes kinda heaped over with goodies.

No live ammo this trip. But...

Reloading Components

2 - 1 lb. Cans Alliant 2400 Powder - Unopened
2 - 1 lb. Cans VihtaVouri N340 Powder - Unopened
2 - 1 lb. Cans Hogdon H110 Powder - Unopened
1 - 1 lb. Can Hogdon HP38 Powder - Opened but virtually nothing gone, if any is missing.

200 - 44 cal. Remington - 240 grain SJHP
100 - 44 cal. Brass - Winchester - NEW Unopened

2000 - Federal - Large Pistol Primers - Unopened

Reloading Equipment

1 - Lyman Brass Tapper w/punch - NEW Unopened
1 - RCBS Pow'r Pull - Kinetic Bullet Puller - NEW Unopened
1 - Lee Universal Shell Holder - Complete Set
1 - Lee Beam Type Powder Scale - Looks new, if it has been used. He had others and I honestly think this one NEW IN BOX
1 - 44 Special/44 Magnum - 4 Die Carbide Set

Somehow, even after being rained on for 5 hours, my day got a whole lot better!!

Rainy days are not bad after all....at least for you!
Your next post will be "he found more"
You cant ever complain about anything in life after all this you know!

Originally Posted By: 5spdRainy days are not bad after all....at least for you!
Your next post will be "he found more"
You cant ever complain about anything in life after all this you know!

Not that lucky... he pulled out today. Place was pretty bare when I went to pick up those two boxes.

And, again... he was just happy to have someone that truly wanted the stuff, to give it to.

Back