Is the Winchester Model 670 a stripped down M70?

Smokin Barrel

I have a Win 670 chambered in .243 that I am wanting to re-build. I have spent more time researching this one than I care to admit. If someone has some experience with these and would share, I would be grateful.

It appears as though this was manufactured in the mid 60's to the mid-late 70's. Although a .243 Win., this and the rest, are all long actions. This was apparently the "stripped down" M70 of the time? So is that fair to assume any M70 long action parts are compatible with the M670? One thing I wondered about is the safety of this gun is located in a location more "Remington-ish", a two position safety along the stock, not up on the bolt.

Right now I am trying to see what kind of options exist for a stock. Thanks for the help in advance.

Always thought they were just a plain jane birch stock no floor plate post 64 M70- didn't realize it had a different safety and/or trigger. Maybe there was a 770? too?

Last edited:
At the time they were built, they were a stripped down, totally entry level type of rifle. All were push feed as were all other Winchester bolt actions at the time. They were one of the first post 1964 Winchester 70 series of rifles.

Not exactly something worth spending much time or money on to customize a great deal, but most were adequate low budget shooters/hunting rifles.

Hmmm, I never saw a 670 with a 2 position side safety?!?!? My ex's son has one in 30-06 an it has the traditional 3 position wing safety. They are a basic Model 70 - no floorplate/dbm. That side safety may cause trigger group/safety fitment issues with a new stock if you were looking at going there. Probably not insurmountable issues by any means. Not sure about other parts, but I can't believe for an economy gun that most of the parts would be that far off of the post-64 push feed stuff. Nothing wrong with them - they just weren't "just like" the vaunted per-64 model 70's. His shot well enough with my reloads, and I liked the feel amd fit, but I do like Winny's in the handling dept.

Originally Posted By: Mike BHmmm, I never saw a 670 with a 2 position side safety?!?!? My ex's son has one in 30-06 an it has the traditional 3 position wing safety. They are a basic Model 70 - no floorplate/dbm. That side safety may cause trigger group/safety fitment issues with a new stock if you were looking at going there. Probably not insurmountable issues by any means. Not sure about other parts, but I can't believe for an economy gun that most of the parts would be that far off of the post-64 push feed stuff. Nothing wrong with them - they just weren't "just like" the vaunted per-64 model 70's. His shot well enough with my reloads, and I liked the feel amd fit, but I do like Winny's in the handling dept.

There were actually three variations of economy Winchester bolt action rifles based on the Model 70 action produced in the early post 64 years.

All Model 670 rifles had the two position Remington style safety. A total of approximately 287,000 of them were built between 1966 and 1979. One interesting chambering for these early rifles was the 225 Winchester cartridge. In 1972, the Model 670 was supplemented by the improved/upgraded Model 670A which had/has the traditional 3 position safety.

In addition to these two, the Model 770 was a middle grade rifle produced from 1969-1972 with production totals of approximately 21,000 rifles.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: Mike BHmmm, I never saw a 670 with a 2 position side safety?!?!? My ex's son has one in 30-06 an it has the traditional 3 position wing safety. They are a basic Model 70 - no floorplate/dbm. That side safety may cause trigger group/safety fitment issues with a new stock if you were looking at going there. Probably not insurmountable issues by any means. Not sure about other parts, but I can't believe for an economy gun that most of the parts would be that far off of the post-64 push feed stuff. Nothing wrong with them - they just weren't "just like" the vaunted per-64 model 70's. His shot well enough with my reloads, and I liked the feel amd fit, but I do like Winny's in the handling dept.

There were actually three variations of economy Winchester bolt action rifles based on the Model 70 action produced in the early post 64 years.

All Model 670 rifles had the two position Remington style safety. A total of approximately 287,000 of them were built between 1966 and 1979. One interesting chambering for these early rifles was the 225 Winchester cartridge. In 1972, the Model 670 was supplemented by the improved/upgraded Model 670A which had/has the traditional 3 position safety.

In addition to these two, the Model 770 was a middle grade rifle produced from 1969-1972 with production totals of approximately 21,000 rifles.

Interesting - thanx! We musta been working with a 670A then. Interesting that both Remington AND Winchester had a bolt action gun with the same model #.

Thanks Winny Fan. After a little bit of time digging into the blind mag to 1-piece hinged floorplate conversion, it has been enough to turn me away from this one. Looks like this one is going to remain "as is" for a bit longer.

Back