220 Swift 4064 53g Boat Tail Vmax Info Needed

Big-Bob

Hey guys, I picked up a new Remington 700VSSF2 and am looking for some help on where I should start my loads. I have IMR4064 and 53g boat tail vmax bullets.

Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Can't help with your "exact" load, but with 53gr. Sierra Flatbase I show that I have loaded them at 36.3gr. of IMR4064 with a speed of 3669fps. My notes show a .621" group with that load.

If you can find some 4007SSC give it a try, only problem is Hodgdon/IMR have discontinued it, but there is still some floating around.

Hope this helps.

P.S. See your from Fallbrook, spent quite abit of time there back in the 80s, when I was in the USMC.

IMR 4064 is often thought about as one of the best powders for the .220 Swift. For sure, I have burned many a pound of it in mine.

Just about the only bullet I used for many years was the Sierra HPBT 52 grain. I used IMR 4350 a lot and shot my first gee-whiz one tiny ragged hole with that powder and Sierra bullet. But later I more or less decided that 4064 was a better all around powder and used that more than anything. 38 or 39 grains of it should serve you well. You might be able to go a bit hotter than that but trust me, that is plenty hot enough.

Thanks for the help guys.

Originally Posted By: biggen0_8
P.S. See your from Fallbrook, spent quite abit of time there back in the 80s, when I was in the USMC.

I was born and have lived in Fallbrook my whole life. Not a bad place to live but has gone down hill in my opinion.

Back