Wolf Hunting Caliber?

Full metal case on a coyote or wolf is crazy.You will loose plenty unless you have good tracking snow and the stamina to go a long way.Sure you can get lucky, but I don't believe for a second anyone recomending full metal jackets has many kills to talk about. Ive seen several wolves drt with a 222 55 gr. sp sierra,and one at 70 yd. drt with 22 hornet 35 gr.vmax square behind the shoulder.If I was in Idaho Id use my 243 with 80 gr. psp loaded to the max. I was just talking to Mr. Kindler and he sell's 17 cal. 30 gr. woodchuck golds to wolf hunters in Alaska that use the 17WCH at 4300 fps and they wouldnt use anything else.That 17 WCH is one impresive round.

Originally Posted By: hoovertx4If I still lived in Alaska I would be using a 22-250 or a 223. There are a lot of wolfs killed in Alaska every year with a 223, I would say its the most used caliber for wolf up there.

Yes, the 223 is very popular in AK,especially mini 14s. I preferred my 270 win with 130 NBTs.

Anyone here from Idaho interested in taking a Kansan under their wing for a week this fall for a wolf hunt?

Maybe I'm the only one who has mentioned this but...
Wolves are only 100lbs.
I see people recommending 270's and 30 cals, and I have to scratch my head. Wolves just are not the big, you don't need that much gun to kill one.
People talk about how tough they are, and this is true, but truth be told so are coyotes. And a 17 cal choosing proper bullets is absolutely deadly on coyotes, so why do you need 12X the gun on an animal only 3 times as big?
Truth be told you don't. A decently constructed bullet, from say a 243 aimed at the vitals, will hit the vitals and knock it down. The end.
We are not talking about an animal with ultra thick skin, or an animal with bones as big as your forearm. It's a large dog. It's smaller then even a tiny whitetail.
I think some of the people replying have never shot at a wolf, and/or trying to compensate for such a difficult animal to hunt by killing it with a cannon.

I see people recommending "standard deer caliber" rifles for wolves and I KNOW that it is good advice. If you are ever presented with the (extremely rare) opportunity to take one then you need to be able to take the shot from any angle and distance presented and know that you will get the penetration necessary to put it down. This requires well contructed bullets of substantial weight. I have written on this site about two people that I personally know who have made hits on wolves with .223's and they were never recovered. I realize that some folks don't really care about that, but it is important to me to finish what I started. People post here regularly about succesfully taking coyotes with .22/17hmr and 22 mag yet I don't know anybody who thinks those are proper coyote rounds. Will a 223/22-250 etc kill a wolf with a good broadside shot, absolutely. Will those same rounds put them down if the only shot is a quartering away through the rear flank? Maybe, maybe not and that is not a good enough answer for most responsible hunters. Use a heavier caliber and enjoy your hunt because it will be tough enough without the added worry about adequate penetration!
Here is a recent post on my thoughts about wolf rifles and caliber considerations...
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...096#Post2485096

FMJ???

I prefer Barnes X, I have never lost a wolf. 3 in Idaho, 7 in Alaska, 4 in Canada and 10 in Mexico but Mexidogs are even smaller. FMJ's are less expensive and I have them tuned in nicely. some states they are not legal but here they are and I use them for everything Black bears and smaller. I have been hunting since 1974 on my own, guiding since I was 14 and am a licensed guide in 7 states, A PH in 9 countries and over 20 provinces. If I got it all wrong then some one educate me. North American predators are very thin skinned by comparison to African predators. Even the the thinned skin AP's are ten fold tougher, I lived it, skinned and took on many charges. The toughest Predator I have ever seen is a Spotted Hyena.

If you DON'T have a good shot Don't take it. If you take it place it............

So BC, maybe you can answer my ?, that I asked......

How many wolves with a 22-250 and FMJ's ?

I'm taking notes ,for my once in a lifetime wolf.

Last edited:
TN,

2 in ID, all in Mexico

1 in ID with my 300 was a target of opportunity, I was Elk hunting.

I hunt pretty much every thing with my 22-250. I also make my own bullets for select targets (Solids). Lead, Copper, Billet and Brass blend.

In the early 80's I had a PAC Service (Problem Animal Control) for ranchers in New Mexico for 6 yrs.

243 is a great choice I have one as well. I just prefer the 22-250 it gets out there a bit further.

We have harvested 6 wolf in Idaho now 3 with my 6.5x284 2 with a 280 AI and although all were one shot one kill NONE were DRT! And have seen dozens other killed while living my stent in Alaska the 2 that I have seen die on demand were both shot with in 100 yards with a good ol Winchester 30-30 you don't need a cannon however I believe they have a bigger will to live than any animal I have ever seen. For only being (100 pounds) here in Idaho IF you do get a rare shot opportunity it's typically little further out.
What grain FMJ are you shooting in your 250 I would think (but what do I know) that the 243 with the same or similar bullet weight will perform with or out perform the 250. I just know the most sickning feeling in the world is to get a very hard earned shot at any animal and not retrieve it. One thing I have noticed with wolf and bear both not alot of blood and there one tough cookie

I must say that since I started this thread I have got alot of info and everyone has a varying opinion ( which I expected). It seems that that the best route to go is to go with what works best for you. Wither that be large or smaller caliber (within reason of course!) It does seem to me to err on the side of caution and go with the little larger caliber for long range energy for that one and only chance you might have on a 1 week hunt. I might add that I have changed my mind and am going with 7mm-08. Just really like the ballistics of this cartridge.

Originally Posted By: Body CountTN,

2 in ID, all in Mexico

1 in ID with my 300 was a target of opportunity, I was Elk hunting.

I hunt pretty much every thing with my 22-250. I also make my own bullets for select targets (Solids). Lead, Copper, Billet and Brass blend.

In the early 80's I had a PAC Service (Problem Animal Control) for ranchers in New Mexico for 6 yrs.

243 is a great choice I have one as well. I just prefer the 22-250 it gets out there a bit further.

What universe do you live in that the 22-250 out performs a 243?

Originally Posted By: CraigMaybe I'm the only one who has mentioned this but...
Wolves are only 100lbs.
I see people recommending 270's and 30 cals, and I have to scratch my head. Wolves just are not the big, you don't need that much gun to kill one.
People talk about how tough they are, and this is true, but truth be told so are coyotes. And a 17 cal choosing proper bullets is absolutely deadly on coyotes, so why do you need 12X the gun on an animal only 3 times as big?
Truth be told you don't. A decently constructed bullet, from say a 243 aimed at the vitals, will hit the vitals and knock it down. The end.
We are not talking about an animal with ultra thick skin, or an animal with bones as big as your forearm. It's a large dog. It's smaller then even a tiny whitetail.
I think some of the people replying have never shot at a wolf, and/or trying to compensate for such a difficult animal to hunt by killing it with a cannon.

As I've stated before been there for over 100 and questioned for over 300 wolves. I think I know who the one is that is trying to compensate ^^^^^^^^^^^
rolleyes.gif
. Do it, shoot 20 in a lot of circumstances with a few guns and loads then do that 15 more times.

With 300+ yard shots a distinct possibility and strong wind gusts a given, I prefer shooting my Remington .300 Win mag with 180 grs. at the furry little doggies. Days with no 30 mph wind (approximately 4 days per year) my Savage 22-250 gets the nod.
Use whatever you want to put holes in these wolves. Just put holes in them please!!

Hmmmm. The last coyote I shot with my 300 WM was in the mountains of Wyoming. It was running away along a hill side. Did not need to gut it. Should be big enough for a wolf.

Yes the .300 is plenty for the wolf. It would not be my first choice for a pelt harvest. I am speaking purely on ballistics and wind drift. Trying to hit one of those bastards at 300 yards with essentially one shot in heavy wind you need that mass and velocity on your side. A miss is an educated wolf, and trust me they are already pretty hard to hunt.

Originally Posted By: CraigMaybe I'm the only one who has mentioned this but...
Wolves are only 100lbs.

What he said......

Big dog - soft skinned - not that hard to kill for heavens sakes!

Back