Which savage wrench?

bluealtered

Well for some reason i feel the need to switch barrels on my fcp-k, don't really know why except to see how a 18" barrel will shoot on it i guess.

The fcp-k is a smooth barrel nut of course and thats the one savage tool i don't have. I plan to keep it a smooth nut and wonder which wrench you guys have found best since i don't want to scar the nut and don't want to change it to the old style nut, What has worked best for you?

Soak w/penetrating spray, wrap with elect tape, attach & clamp it w/a vise grip and whack w/ball peen, or wrap a strap wrench around it and bust it. I Have a chain type strap wrench that Ive used w/smooth nuts after wrapping the nut to prevent maring.
Last resort or 1st attempt is to spit it w/a dremel cut off tool & replace w/grooved nut.

18 inch pipe wrench and the Wheeler wrench which has one end with a clamp for the smooth nut to put a new one on.It is almost impossible to get the smooth nut off some actions.Savage has a 400 lb gorilla working working for them.

Originally Posted By: pdog206218 inch pipe wrench and the Wheeler wrench which has one end with a clamp for the smooth nut to put a new one on.It is almost impossible to get the smooth nut off some actions.Savage has a 400 lb gorilla working working for them.

This

Buy a new nut. If you dont, youll destroy the one youre trying to save. If you have a spare on the bench, youll pull 1000 and never damage 1.

Somewhere out there, I saw a smooth Savage nut with a hole drilled in the side of it. The wrench had a pin that fit in the hole and it worked very well. Really can't figure out why Savage changed the nut. Just doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTSomewhere out there, I saw a smooth Savage nut with a hole drilled in the side of it. The wrench had a pin that fit in the hole and it worked very well. Really can't figure out why Savage changed the nut. Just doesn't make sense.

I didn't know any other way to remove a smooth Savage nut the first time I came across one, so I drilled a hole in it and made a wrench like what you describe out of a piece of plate stock on the bandsaw.

Since then, I made a barrel wrench bushing block set to fit smooth savage nuts. I copied a barrel wrench and cylindrical action wrench/vice from Midway, just a piece of barstock welded in a "T" with a piece of plate stock, two all-thread studs with nuts and washers to clamp it down onto wooden bushing blocks that grip the barrel or action. Pretty straight forward, and cost about $20 all together.

Back