Sorry Vmax Lovers

MPH

I don't like em for predators...to much splash and lack of penetration at times which means more lost critters when compared to a hollow point or soft point.

They are outstanding and super accurate and the best for varmints. However, the V means something...varmint, not predators. I've used them on a good deal of live predators in .223, .17 Hornet, .17 Fireball, I'm not impressed.

Originally Posted By: MPHI don't like em for predators...to much splash and lack of penetration at times which means more lost critters when compared to a hollow point or soft point.

They are outstanding and super accurate and the best for varmints. However, the V means something...varmint, not predators. I've used them on a good deal of live predators in .223, .17 Hornet, .17 Fireball, I'm not impressed.

So how many predators or critters did you shoot with each caliber? What varmints here in PA have you shot with them?

'Round here, coyotes ARE varmints. No season, no limit, and shoot them out of the window of your pick-up.

However, I do understand. The V-Max is my favorite bullet. In my AR with 50 grainers. 22-250 is a Sierra BlitzKing, 55grns. .243 is a Speer 70grn TNT. etc, etc ...

It's a preference. Good luck with one bullet, less with another. Condemnation need not follow.

Try the Sierra's. You may love 'em!

never lost a coyote using a v-max. not unless the bullet did not hit it.

ranges from 30 yards to 600 yards, front on, quartering towards, quartering away, texas heart shot, broadside, does not matter. the majority go down on the spot, even poor hits do a pretty good job of putting them down.

You mean splashes like these with 40grVMax's ......yes those are entrance wounds from a .221 FB

I have always been impressed with the 60gr VMax in the .223 and the 75gr in the 6mm is good too but not all are equal

Use the right one and they will work. They claim match bullets arent for hunting either but my results in the 204, 223, 22-250 and 7mm say they work outstanding. I dont want excessive penetration. I dont want an exit wound and would rather have the bullet fragment in the chest cavity. It damages more vital organs that way.

While I didn't like the results I got with the 204 and the 32 grain VMax, my favorite coyote load in the 223 is the 50 grain VMax. It's like any other bullet, put it in the vitals and it works. I don't save coyote fur, but the 5o VMax is a fur friendly bullet in my experience.

Im new to predator/varmint hunting but the two coyotes ive killed with 53and 55 gr V-Max bullet (.223) have dropped where they stood. No huge entrance wound and no exit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MPHI don't like em for predators...to much splash and lack of penetration at times which means more lost critters when compared to a hollow point or soft point.

Try the 52gr Sierra HPBT Matchking for the .223.

Its really no secret the plastic tipped bullets didn't work well in the 17's. Switch to hollow point bullets there to and you will have much better luck.

Yes, I too am very much a fan of match bullets. Good results and fur damage is usually not to bad. My favorite / best performance has been the Berger .17 25 grain match target on fox, Hornady 75/77 match in the .223, and the Sierra 70 match king in the .243 on coyotes.

I shoot about 50 fox a year. In the last three or four years I remember only losing one fox with the bergers. A friend used the vmax in his .17 hornet and lost so many fox he wouldn't use them even though I gave him several boxes for free to test. I tried the Remington accutip with similar results. Your mileage may vary...

I don't have a .204 but I am glad to see Hornady is making a commercial soft point in loaded ammunition. That would be my pick in this caliber for coyotes over the vmax.

Love the vmax for varmints and it is super accurate.

Last edited:
I think I see the problem. You were'nt using a predator caliber for predators. I havent seen to many coyotes run off shot with a 243 anything come to think of it.

Another thing that I have found that will make a difference on how the bullet reacts upon impact is the weather. How warm/cold was it when you did your tests?

Ya, personal prefrence, and confidence is a bit part of it.

Last year I shot 30 coyotes and this year 20, and out of those 50, i only had one runner.
My 50gr Vmax and 53gr Vmax out of a 22-250 is a lights out switch. If the bullet hits.. They almost always drop DRT (dead right there) a few roll because they were running, but that is about it.

I would bet that if you were using a 22 hornet or more for those fox with a Vmax, you would have a different evaluation

I really,really hate the 75 grain V-max in .224 so if anyone has a few or a few thousand I would sacrifice and take them off your hands. I might even pay shipping
smile.gif
Please PM me

117 coyotes last year with the .224 55g vmax and .243 65g vmax, NOT one single issue, all 1 shot dogs. All from 47 yards to 600 yards.
Most through the shoulders, many more broad side & no craters on exit.....works for me.

Back