308 AR

well, despite good reasoning to go with the 308 I talked myself into the 260. I hope its a good idea. Some of the comments in this thread make me optimistic about it. Have to buy some dies and some brass now.

Originally Posted By: Anton Chigurhwell, despite good reasoning to go with the 308 I talked myself into the 260. I hope its a good idea. Some of the comments in this thread make me optimistic about it. Have to buy some dies and some brass now.

I think you will enjoy it. It's pretty versatile and works a tad better out past 800. There are some SUPER 6.5 bulleyts to use in your new stick.

Greg

Nothing wrong with the 260 at all. And you could (and I would) still use the LC brass I linked and make your own 260. A simple size down, trim, fire. JMO

I thought of that. Would using the LC 308 brass be easier/better than buying Winchester or rem 243 for $.50?

Would I need to turn necks if I use 308?

Turning may be needed with the 308. Necking up is always easier than necking down. I will admit I hate neck turning. No have some 20's that need heav turning. Every piece if brass has a name then.

Greg

Thanks for the info guys.

My lower currently has a collapsible stock on it which I don't care a lot for on the big rifle. If I put an MOE fixed stock on it, I will need a rifle buffer and spring and an extension tube (I believe the dpms is the same on 308 or ar15) Is that all correct?

Thanks. I actually went ahead and order 100 lapua today from midway. With $45 off $225 promo,I picked up some other stuff I need and got about 20% of all of it. That'll get me started, I may also try necking up some 243 as I have a good bit of it, as well as try some 308 neck down.

Last edited:
Back