CA Predator Hunting Under Attack

hideandseek

The California Fish and Game Commission is accepting public comments in regard to proposed regulations which would ban predator hunting contests. Naturally this would only be the first step on an all out ban on Predator Hunting in California.

Hunters, we need to flood their email, mail boxes and their phone lines with comments to show them the real majority of California residents believe in this legal and valuable method of hunting and recreating in California. Don't delay, tell your friends and lets get this done. They are taking comments until August.

Their email address is fgc@fgc.ca.gov

PHONE (916) 653-4899

Do you have a website link to the proposed regulations or could you post a copy here? It would help if everyone could see the proposal to comment on it.

I searched the Fish and Game Commissions website and it does not show up there. I heard several news reports about it on the radio. Yes "Project Coyote" is the group behind this push. Once I am able to find more info I will post it on here.

If there is anyone else who has more info please feel free to post it. We need to work together to be effective.

Project Coyote release dated 4/10/14

We were there testifying in support of this ban on your behalf ~ and now we need your help to push for additional protections for wildlife statewide!

Join Project Coyote and allies at the upcoming California Fish and Game Commission meeting in Ventura on April 16th to show your support for wildlife. Two important issues will be deliberated that day: a proposed ban on wildlife killing contests that Project Coyote put forth and the listing of wolves under the California Endangered Species Act (CESA).The Commission will be accepting public testimony on both issues.

There will be a pre-hearing rally for wolves and wildlife where Project Coyote representatives will speak. We hope you can join us!

What: California Fish and Game Commission meeting & pre-hearing rally
When: Wednesday, April 16, rally begins at 7:45 am, followed by the Commission meeting at 8:30 am
Where: Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach Hotel, 450 East Harbor Blvd., Ventura, CA
(Rally will be held outside of the Crown Plaza and meeting inside.)
More information here.

Please also sign our Change.org petition in support of banning wildlife killing contests here.

If you are unable to attend the Commission's meeting, please submit comments favoring the wildlife killing contest ban (please see talking points below). A second meeting will be held on June 4th in Fortuna, CA where the public will be able to weigh in on this issue again.

California Fish and Game Commission
P.O. Box 944209
Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
fgc@fgc.ca.gov

Please cc your letters to California Department of Fish & Wildlife Director Charlton H. Bonham at director@wildlife.ca.gov and to Project Coyote atinfo@projectcoyote.org as we are tracking the letters sent.

Urge the Commission to permanently ban wildlife killing contests statewide! It's time we reform and modernize wildlife management in California by moving toward responsible, science-based, and ethical wildlife stewardship. Read more here and in the articles in the sidebar. Watch our video:

Wildlife killing contests are ethically indefensible events allowing participants to kill wildlife to win prizes. They are ecologically reckless, not only harming individual animals, but also altering predator-prey dynamics, disrupting the social dynamics of predatory species, and increasing threats to public safety, all for fun and prizes. They have no beneficial management purpose but, rather, promote gratuitous violence against wildlife.
Talking Points:

Ban Wildlife Killing Contests

1. Commend the California Fish and Game Commission and the Wildlife Resources Committee for prioritizing the issue of modernizing predator conservation and stewardship statewide. California has the opportunity to set the trend for the nation by moving this great state toward more responsible, science-based, and ethical wildlife stewardship. These regulations and policies should reflect current science, conservation biology, and the ecological principles of ecosystem-based management as well as proven coexistence practices which will yield better outcomes for wildlife and people. The first logical step toward this goal is to end those practices that violate these standards starting with a ban on wildlife killing contests.

2. Wildlife killing contests, “derbies” and “drives” are conducted for profit, entertainment, prizes and, simply, for the "fun" of killing. Such thrill kill events perpetuate the wanton waste of wildlife. Prizes and awards are given to those who kill the most individuals and the largest (and sometimes the most females). This is not about sport or fair-chase; predators are often baited and lured in with distress calls of wounded young placing wildlife at an even greater and unfair disadvantage.

3. No evidence exists showing that indiscriminate killing contests control problem animals or serve any beneficial management function. For example, coyote populations that are not exploited (that is hunted, trapped, or controlled by other means) form stable "extended family" social structures that naturally limit coyote populations through defense of territory and the suppression of breeding by subordinate female members of the family group. Indiscriminate killing of coyotes disrupts this social stability resulting in increased reproduction and greater pup survival.
4. Many wildlife species, especially predators, have been shown to provide numerous ecosystem services that benefit humans; these can include control of rodents and rabbits which compete with domestic livestock for forage and which are associated with diseases including plague, hantavirus, tularemia and Lyme disease.

5. Wildlife killing contests perpetuate a culture of violence and send the message to children that life has little value and that an entire species of animals is disposable.

6. Wildlife killing contests put non-target animals, companion animals, and people at risk.

7. California recently passed legislation (A.B. 2402) that requires the Department to use "ecosystem based management" and the best science in its stewardship of California's wildlife. Allowing these killing contests to continue would be in direct violation of this law.

Protect Wolves under CESA (please note: the written comment period is over on this issue but the Commission will accept public comment at the Ventura hearing on April 16th)

Urge the Commission to grant wolves the protection they need by listing them under the California Endangered Species Act (CESA). With the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service proposing to remove federal Endangered Species Act protection from wolves, it's critical wolves have the strongest protections under state law.

1. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife recently recommended against listing wolves with the argument that there are no known wolves currently in the state. Wolf OR-7 has made California part of his range. Scientists agree that it's highly likely that more wolves from Oregon will come to California. The Commission and the Department should be preparing for the inevitability of wolves recolonizing California and proactively putting protective meaures in place to promote recovery.

2. The California ESA does not require that a population of a species be present in order to list it.

3. Scientists report that there are hundreds of thousands of acres of suitable wolf habitat in California.

4. Wolves need protection under the CE

Then this:
AP

SAN FRANCISCO -- California wildlife regulators are proposing a ban on contests that reward hunters who kill coyotes and other predators.

The California Fish & Game Commission this week issued a proposed rule that would make it illegal offer a prize, inducement or reward for killing predators, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

The 3-2 vote opens a public comment period that will end Aug. 6, when the commission is expected to make a final decision on the proposal.

Related Content
link: Follow @abc7newsbayarea on Twitter
link: uReport powered by YouTube
The commission received about 13,000 letters and emails from wildlife advocates calling for an end to the indiscriminate killing of coyotes and other predators.

"This vote brings us one step closer to reforming how predators are managed in this state," said Camilla Fox, executive director of the advocacy group Project Coyote, which submitted the petition asking for the law. "Most people are shocked to learn that it is legal to kill coyotes, foxes, bobcats and other wildlife as part of a tournament for prizes and recreational fun."

Conservationists have been demanding action after learning about an annual three-day coyote hunt held each February in Modoc County in northeastern California.

Ranchers say they need to manage coyotes because they are responsible for the vast majority of livestock deaths.

But conservationists say hunting coyotes doesn't reduce their numbers, pointing to studies that show coyotes breed more often and have more puppies when pack leaders are killed. The leaders, or alphas, are the only males that mate in a coyote pack, but when they are killed underlings get a chance to reproduce.

Last edited:
The anti hunting group, Project Coyote, presented info on why hunting contests should be banned to the CA Fish and Game Commission at the April 16, 2014 public meeting. For 3 months prior to the meeting, the CA Fish and Game Dept received over 10,000 form letters to ban hunting contests from the anti's, but they only received less than 10 letters from sportsmen opposing it. The California Fish & Game Commission voted 3 to 2 to move forward with a proposal to ban not only predator contests, but all contests involving mammals (big buck contests, coyote contests, etc). They are proposing to make it unlawful to offer any prize or other inducement as a reward for the taking of any mammals in an individual contest, tournament, or derby. They also want to have bag/possession limits put on predators and restrict the methods of taking wildlife to not allow hunting with dogs.

Here is a link to the proposal, the draft rule change,, and their justification and support groups..

The Commission will accept public comment on this issue through August 6th when it will make a final vote at its public meeting in San Diego.

Send your comments to oppose these proposals to the following:

P.O. Box 944209
fgc@fgc.ca.gov

Thanks for the info and reply's fellas. Total lack of involvement is what kills all sportsman. Please spread the word and encourage hunters to make contact. They only received 10,000 letters to get this started, I can guarantee there are 10 times that number of hunters in California. Also please print out and post this info in your local gun store.

Hideandseek, thanks for posting that. We all need to get involved. I'm a CA resident and have been in the fight for quite a while. We've all heard it before, 'if you don't like it, leave!" for most of us, that isn't an option. And leaving without fighting is not how we roll out here in CA. If you think the issue won't eventually come to your door, no matter what state you live in, you're wrong.

To the PM members, whatever you can do to help would be appreciated beyond words. This fight isn't focused on CA, it's just starting here. The sooner our states can coordinate and oppose these types of propositions, it can only benefit us all.

Post an Email link to game and fish with a cut and paste form letter everyone can use. That should be the standard. It is what they do. 10,000 tree huggers did not write individual letters. If you want us to fight with you give us the tools to make it easy. I have 4 different email I can use.

P.O. Box 944209
fgc@fgc.ca.gov

Really, a form letter is not necessary, just a couple lines, stating your opposition to a ban on contests. As simple as this.

Just remember, be civil, keep it simple, it really comes down to the number of responses, not so much the content.

"Dear commissioners, Please accept this letter to inform you of my opposition to any ban on Predator Hunting contests or any hunting contest in California. I am an ethical hunter in California and hunting contest are an ethical, legal method to promote and encourage sport hunting and recreation in California.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my comments and I encourage you to make a decision which benefits the hunters and sportsmen of California"

I'm not against contesting hunting but when will organizers/participants learn to keep them quiet. Like it or not in some parts of the country it will never be acceptable. Although I find it confusing that some states can openly accept drug cartel operations on public land but have an absolute come apart about a contest. The PM hunt is a good example and it isn't even a contest per se. Hunters need to think about the non-hunters perception when they advertise contests or post pictures. I'm all for trophy pics that are tasteful, but a bloody pile of coyotes or pictures of wounded animals is just bad mojo for everyone. What do they say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Even if they can't completely stop it they will regulate it to the point where entry fees are so high people quit participating. All one needs to do is look at what the various western states have done to bass tournaments and that is catch and release contest. We can choose to be defiant and in your face about our "hunting rights", but it isn't truly a right, it is a privilege that can and will be taken away.

Last edited:
It doesn't take "wrong doing" on the part of hunters to have the anti's set their sights on you.

What did the PM folks do to get "run out of town"? Nothing. No contest, no cash prizes, no heaps of bloody discarded coyotes. No public view of anything. No advertising in or around Las Cruces...

One way they know about these things is that they have infiltrated our ranks in every form of social media. This website included.

No matter what we do now as hunters, we WILL come under the scrutiny of the groups out to abolish what we do.

It isn't about "hiding" what we do. It's about educating the public and the youth into knowing the truth about it. It's about fighting these groups that impose their beliefs and agendas on everyone, in every forum they choose to bring the fight to. If they want changes at the State level, meet them with resistance at the Game Commission Meetings.
Find and elect candidates that will uphold OUR values of a way of life, and not cave in to special interests.

It is about getting ORGANIZED and having LEADERSHIP.

You can bet that the anti's are. That is why they are successful.
wink.gif

Great post RockinBBar!

We sure had some great times in Ca competiton hunts, Fish and Game gave us Heck, even after the big cats ate a couple of kids and coyotes did the same.

I don't think that you are ever going to get beyond hunters vs non hunters. The wife and I went to church with a couple from the Long Beach area. When we moved to Az, we invited them over. By this time I had couple of riding mules to hunt/pack off of and 4 horses. Our friends I found out were die hard libs and were against riding animals because it was abusing them.

We lived on a 5 acre fenced parcel, so I opened the back door on my 4 horse trailer and turned my buckskin loose. He immediately went to the horse trailer and got in, and stood back looking at the other horses. The other horses of course thought that they were not going to get to go ride and became very excited over being left behind.

Our lib friends were dumfounded that the animals wanted to go ride in the trailer and carry us up an down the hills. By the end of the weekend, the libs had seen that when you walked up to both of my mules that they would spin around like they were going to kick you, but in reality wanted you to scratch their butts, just above the tail. Finally, we got both of them on a horse, they were elated at the experience. What really impressed them was that "Blue" one of the riding mules would poop in the wheel barrow when you were in the barn cleaning stalls. After they got to feed "Blue" ice cubes, they were true believers on the fact that riding animals was not abusing them.

This is the kind of mentality that we are up against as outdoorsmen and hunters. Liberal Arts degrees in college and Walt Disney has done a lot to dumb up a lot of people.

It takes a lot of patience to educate and change the attitude and perceptions of a human being.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman

This is the kind of mentality that we are up against as outdoorsmen and hunters. Liberal Arts degrees in college and Walt Disney has done a lot to dumb up a lot of people.

It takes a lot of patience to educate and change the attitude and perceptions of a human being.

Yep.

A liberal wakes up in a different world every time they blink their eyes.
crazy.gif

You will never even come close to educating them, or changing their minds. The best we can do is to educate our youth, and the public that sits on the fence about the issues.

I'll bet those ignorant wretches that were against riding a horse sure didn't mind wearing or using leather goods, or eating a steak hot off the grill...
wink.gif

Very few actually practice what they preach. They kill unborn babies, and yet think we are the evil ones for hunting. They value animal life over and above human life.

Liberalism is a tumor on America. We'd better seek the cure for it soon.

I would love to have a sit down seminar with the states GFP and the ignorant people who are pushing this... I know it wouldn't change their mind, but getting their response to "real world" answers and facts would be great to re-watch.

Originally Posted By: skinneyI would love to have a sit down seminar with the states GFP and the ignorant people who are pushing this... I know it wouldn't change their mind, but getting their response to "real world" answers and facts would be great to re-watch.

It makes them mad for sure.
tt2.gif

Then they get through stammering and double down and lie some more.

I've been involved with several the So Cal predator calling clubs for a very long time. They the anti hunting types also want to ban the taking of bobcat by any method. Issue 5 coyote tags per year per hunter. They also want to outlaw the use of electronic game calls. I made the guys at FoxPro aware of this thinking with 39 million people, Cal does have a fair amount of predator callers and a ban on electronic calls out here would do considerable damage to their bottom line. I was thinking it might be in Foxpro's interest to help us with this fight but they don't seem real concerned. I guess there's 49 other states. The good news is that the California rifle and pistol Assoc is making all of it's resources available to us and is taking on this fight. The bad news is this whole thing with project coyote going in front of the Cal F&G Commission is just blowing smoke so they can eventually propose legislation to get what they want. The libs/anti hunting types have a super majority with jerry brown up in Sacramento and they will claim that they tried to reason with the Commission first with no success so they have to push the legislation through. I guess I can do all my calling in Nevada if I have to. Grizz

Back