What the best rifle for predator hunting?

if you have wolves around the 17 rem. is to light for consistent kills.I believe the 25 gr.blows up before it gets through the second lung.I have seen 2 perfect behind the shoulder lung hits at 60 and 80 yards bleeding good but just kept going.Any coyote with that hit out to 300 yards is DRT no fur damage.So if wolves are a possibility go with a 50 plus gr. my favorite a 222 but 223 would be the ticket.A 243 is hard to beat and if you reload can be very fur friendly.

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Nevrancher.22lr is what i use

No sewing involved at all. They just heal up on their own over time.

Chupa

lol ya, I tried using a 22lr a few times. I guess that it would work just fine if you were out in the open or something. But, everytime I shot a coyote, it would run off and die. I would waste a ton of time tracking them. I prefer something that delivers the energy to get the job done, on the spot. (there are times they are hard enough to find when they drop dead on the spot)

I'm using the 55 grain Hornady V-max bullets in my Savage Axis XP Camo .223 Rifle and it usually does very little fur damage with a small entry hole and no exit hole,You can go even lighter on the V-max bullets if You want to!

As Justin10mm mentioned....You already have the Perfect Rifle You just need to find the ideal bullet and start putting down those Coyotes!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pack_WolfWhat is a 53 grain SUPER PERFORMANCE Vmax??

This is ammunition made by Hornady. All of the ammo in the Super Performance line seems to perform very well.

Originally Posted By: Coyote CruiserI can't even pick one AR let alone 1 rifle. Guns are like golf clubs, one just is not good enough for every situation.

coulnt have said it better my self

I am kind of old school so that being said, I sure like my browning blr in 308. i got to come up with a better bullet though or if i could find one for a good deal, a browning BAR 243

I use a .223 or a 22-250. My dad uses a 22 Mag or a shotgun. Its what ever you feel you can take them down with best and shoot best.

I caught 72 coyotes this winter. I started shooting them instead of healing them with my heal. I used a 22lr solid nose bullet. Some big coyotes took 3 through the chest to kill them. Most died from one, or maybe two shots. I ran out and my neighbor gave me some fed hollow points, they worked much better.
A .22 will not do so good unless its a head shot, if not in a trap.

Originally Posted By: HardwickNOriginally Posted By: Coyote CruiserI can't even pick one AR let alone 1 rifle. Guns are like golf clubs, one just is not good enough for every situation.

coulnt have said it better my self

+1 a friend of mine says the same thing.

Mine. Get yourself one and make it a mine. Then you will be like everyone else and have the best rifle for predator hunting.

I love and shoot the 22-250. That being said, not a single box of ammo can be found within 100 miles of here. The .204 is very hot right now... Again, no ammo available. Are you a reloader? If not I would sway towards the .223, as every sporting goods store in America currently has at least 10,000 rounds of it on hand in every imagineable configuration.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterI love and shoot the 22-250. That being said, not a single box of ammo can be found within 100 miles of here. The .204 is very hot right now... Again, no ammo available. Are you a reloader? If not I would sway towards the .223, as every sporting goods store in America currently has at least 10,000 rounds of it on hand in every imagineable configuration.

You can buy 22-250 and 204 ammo online right now. Also there is no haz mat fee for ammo so all you pay is shipping.

I have purchased some ammo online, namely the elusive .22LR brick, but as of late I cannot swallow paying double when shipping is added. I buy the components at Sportsman's warehouse and a friend reloads my spent brass for me, otherwise I would be shooting a lot less. Even at Midway they currently list 2 out of 46 brands of 22-250 as in stock. So if you want a gun you can shoot cheap, accurately and easy my vote is .223. And like I said this comes from a 250 guy. One whose next rifle will be in .223.

Back