Visible burr around gas port inside bore? Update.

TnTnTn

Is it normal/common/always to have a visible burr at the gas port inside the bore. This is a new unfired barrel and the bore is bright and shiny everywhere else and the barrel appears to be well made. Does firing remove the burr?-don't want to scratch the bore by having a bullet pick up a small piece of barrel steel. I have pulled a patch through and can feel the rough spot at the port. This is my first put together and I have never looked down the bore of an unfired AR barrel before.

Ok after a google search this seems to be very common on new barrels(even high end barrels)and it should disappear after a few shots. Hopefully bore won't get damaged-consensus is that it's 'ok'.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: midwestpredatoryou can run a brush or just shoot it. Some of my barrels had the burr some did not. Its gone after the first shot.

I would agree brush the shoot it you will be okay.

I'll try to hook it with a patch and bore brush a few times. If no joy a bullet cures it. One thing to look out for is the hangy down pushing back up into the port.

Greg

Originally Posted By: CastI have a set of jeweler's files for stuff like this.

How do you get the file down in the gas port?

Greg

Got my first put together done and it even works! I loaded just 3 rounds with Sierra 75g bullets over Varget as a test load and the rifle functioned perfectly. The internal gas port flashing disappeared after the first shot. I will get it scoped and sighted in next week and see if it will 'shoot'.

photo_zps9f159709.jpg

photo_zps10e1678e.jpg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: CastI have a set of jeweler's files for stuff like this.

How do you get the file down in the gas port?

Greg

There is a tiny rat tail file that I can stick in from above and hit it if I can see it. Or, just shoot it.

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnGot my first put together done and it even works! I loaded just 3 rounds with Sierra 75g bullets over Varget as a test load and the rifle functioned perfectly. The internal gas port flashing disappeared after the first shot. I will get it scoped and sighted in next week and see if it will 'shoot'.

That looks super. What dies are you going to use?

Greg

Back