Name this wound on a calf?

the impactzone

got a call from a guy who leases some river bottom land I've wanted to get on fro predators and hogs, well he calls and ask that I come over as he thinks he has a big cat working his calf's.

never seen a wound like this before, and figure a cat would kill it prey before it starts to eat it, where as wolfs and coyotes may get any bite they can. there was a wound on the inside of the leg just as bad. no other wounds on the neck or tail? just a big chunk out of the hind quarter

going back tonight to do some calling, hope its a cat but doubt it

Last edited:
It almost looks like a spider bite. See all the hair missing towards the anus? Maybe a staff infection? But I haven't seen a cat wound before. Just a guess.

I've seen dogs and coyotes do this to sheep and goats. Usually they take the ears off of a calf in the process.

I know spider eyes show up at night, but is there a call for them? don't think spider bite as he feeds these cubes daily and it showed up over night. I was thinking dogs as well, and asked about the removal of dogs? I was told the 3S's if they are after his calf's

cats normally go strait for the neck. my guess would be coyotes. but almost have to agree with bail. almost looks like an infection of sorts and with it being the only real woond. ive seen coyotes work both sides of the hind and inner thighs. so that would be my first guess.

If it were a lion it would be upper back and neck area.

It is consistent with dogs or coyotes either one. Seen coyotes bite the entire tail off of calves before...

My opinion on this one is dogs, though.
wink.gif

dogs is what I'm thinking, I hunt a deer farm not 3 miles away and took a few feral dogs off it, couldn't get real close and pics taken with cell phone, asked about other bite marks or scraps rancher said nothing other than the wound he put paste on, very clean cut. I jokingly said aliens? he replied illegals looking for a taco? I'm not that way but had to chuckle at that, times must be tight for those folks if they have to eat and run.

Hey it got me on the property and as far as I'm concerned every thing I kill is one of the many culprits

I had one that looked a lot like that, when the cow laid the calf down and went to water the coyote came back, a 40 grain Sierra hollow point from a 222 changed its mind.

No lions here, we do have bobcats and coyotes. Whatever got that calf has relatives over here in NC.

here he is all healed up 9 months later

we got to see him nearly everyday till the neighbor shot him, we were gonna give him the pass because we could ID him easy and just wanted to see what a spike could turn into. Oh well.

Last edited:
called in a pair of coyotes, to about 200 yards keeping in the tall grass and they winded me, had another come in to 150 and dropped him, he got back up after a few minutes and the dog tracked him 300 yards on to the neighbors property. I'll hit it again next week.

hgY8z0b.jpg

I saw this In Tanzania, Those were lions but the wound is similar, and they seem to like the back sides of the animals

Back