Remington 700 feeding issues/solution

coyotekillerNE

I have a buddy who has a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .223. I'm paraphrasing what's going on with the gun so bear with me. Basically he's getting fail to feeds when he has more than two rounds loaded in the blind box magazine. He loads them up very carefully so they're even and not binding; however the bolt misses the rear of the cartridge and fails to pick it up, causing the fail to feed issue. I suggested a new magazine spring, but I figured this is not that atypical of a problem, so I'd look to you guys for help.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: ackleymanTake the follower out of the gun, and slide the spring all the way to the rear, it is too far forward allowing the round to tip.

THIS or,

Coal could be too long (if reloads) the bullet sometimes catches on the magazine box and causes the base end of the shell to stay down enough for the bolt to miss it on cycle.

You may need to play with the spring a little. bend it so the back-end of the round is a little higher. also, make sure the magazine box is seated correctly. It should have just a little wiggle to it.

I had the same issue with a remmy sf I have. It wouldn't feed if I had more than one round in it. If I tried to load all 4 it would spit the cartridges into the action. I think the guy I got it from bought it as a magazine rifle. I bought badger bottom metal and mags and never looked back

Try to slowly load and feed a couple of rounds from the magazine into the chamber and see at what point that the rounds do or don't feed. If they feed OK slowly, speed up the action a bit at a time until you get the problem.

Don't simply start tweeking magazine springs and opening up action rails, etc. without a plan or you'll likely just end up buying another magazine spring anyway. Action rail "adjustments" are permanent. Maybe the previous owner already tweeked the spring too for some unknown reason, purposefully or by accident. Randomly tweeking it again isn't going to solve the issue if you don't know what the real issue is to begin with.

Another random thought: A couple of months ago at a range I saw a guy complaining about a new Rem 700 not feeding beyond the first cartridge. I saw him trying to bolt in the second cartridge and he was short stroking the bolt and not getting the bolt back beyond the cartridge lip. And the entire time the rifle was to blame.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Who said anything about messing with feed rails? Magazine feed lips...yes. Rails, nope...one can be undone, the other not.

Why do you always apparently assume I'm talking just to you so you feel a need to get testy?

More than once fed rails have been "altered" in an attempt to fix a feeding problem, so I mentioned it. As I had previously stated, you are right in that any modifications to them are permanent, but you are wrong in thinking that I was speaking directly to you. Once again.

Back