Coyote den size?

t/c223encore

About how big is a coyote den? I mean inside. I know exactly where one is but there is no signs such as a dirt pile that would give away about how big or deep it is. I wanted to know, but there is no way in hell I'm stickin my head in there to look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know there are variances so I'm just lookin for a rough guesstimate.

t/c223encore.

Personally I've never dug one up. Theres folks on here who have, hopefully they have the answer for ya.

Some coyote dens in Iowa. Are dens taken away from badgers, fox, groundhogs & other denning animals. A pair of coyotes will modify these to suit their needs. So your not "always" going to see a fresh dirt pile or a big mound of dirt necessarily(could be an old den).

I'd say the inside "birthing room" is just big enough for a yote to turn around in. Sometimes you'll find scat or small fowl/animal bones around the entrance, sometimes not.

I've came across fox dens, that had "vent holes" that ran up to the surface over the the tunnel-ways or birthing room. Once I was checking out a fox den, & my foot went through, one of these "vent holes" (about broke my ankle). Vent holes are like an inverted funnel, leading down into the den. Sometimes their only about an inch in diameter on the ground surface. But open up wider as the hole go's downward. I don't know if coyote dens have these or not. I've only ran across a few coyote dens in my day.

When I was around 12yrs old.(Parents were divorced). Anyway, my Dad helped a farmer friend along with a couple other guys. Dig up a litter of Red Fox cubs. If I recall correctly, Dad said, "The birthing chamber" was about 4-6' below the grade. He brought home 2-cubs. They were roughly 8-wks old(a male & a female). Gave'em both to my older Bro & I.

We had them for about 6-wks. Keep them in a large rabbit pen. We lived in town....NOT GOOD! They would yip/bark & wine every night. Eventually, Mom couldn't take it, neither could some of the neighbors(They'd YELL!...SHUT THEM @#** DOGS UP!).

The male, remained very wild & the female became passive. We ended up taking them to the local rescue league. They kept them for a couple of months. The female died in their care. They eventually released the male, back into the wild.

Last edited:
I thought about what these so called "vent holes" might of been. Maybe, they were "interior diggings" by the varmint(Badger or Groundhog). That origionally dug the den. Perhaps looking for grubs/worms? who knows? . Personally I don't have a clue.

What has puzzled me, is All of the fox dens. I've checked out over the years. Only about a 1/4 of them, had aleast one of these little holes. That connected to the den tunnel.

Anyone have an idea or know what these are dug for?

Coyote dens will be more elpitcal than round, coyotes clean up alot around there denning site, so "most of the time you won't find things/parts laying around a coyote den, fox all the time!! Fox are messy and broadcast there denning site much more than coyotes. Coyotes like areas of easy digging or remote areas with holes already started by other critters, they like a place that offers a good view and scenting of approaching danger, were a fox would den in your sandbox if given the chance LOL!
THe other holes are sometimes dun by pup fox and coyotes, after they emerge and play around the denning site, they will dig around they area, just a natural thing for them to do, when I gas a den I leave these play holes and put traps by them with gland lure or bait in them and come back a few days later and what didn't get gassed will most likely be waiting in your traps. Be it some pups or the [beeep] or male.
Coyotes that receive heavy pressure, will den in some of the most rugged and odd places and finding there dens can be quite a chore. I always carry a nap sack with gas bombs and a tile spade, because if you leave and the pair knows you been in the area, they will move those pups that very night alot of the time or sooner.

The den i found was by accident. one day while takin my dirtbike to the desert. my cuz and I decided to head down this road in the direction we seen the 2 coyotes goin earlier in the day. The first time we seen them I didn't have my rifle so ofcourse they both had tostop and stand broadside 80 yards out as we drove by, don't things like that always happen. After driving down this dirt road away we stopped to check out a humpto see what was on the other side. While walkin to the hump my cuz says, "Hey Rick, there it is, you see it?" looking to my left about 200 yards I see it sitting on a small hill watching us. "Yeah I see it" I say as I'm raising my rifle and watch it come into my scope.

The following is a list of thoughts that went through my brain.

WOW, it's just sitting there looking at us.
thats wierd, we don't even have any camo on.
hmmmmmmm thats about 200 yards.
I should hold the crosshairs right aboutttt there.
Dang it, I can't hold still enough.
drop to one knee.
nope still can't hold still enough.
hmmm is there anything out past there in that direction.
hmmmmmmm nope it's safe to try a shot.
sure is a nice looking coyote.
I need to find a steady brace.
hmmmmmmm lay down and shoot prone.
that bush will be in my way if I do.

My cuz: "Rick shoot it"

ok theres a clear spot.
come on 6 steps, I need you to give me just six more small steps.
should I just shoot and try to hit it?
no I can't hold still enuff, I don't want to just wound it.
ok let me just try to get to that spot.
if I lay down I can get it for sure.
1, ok stay there.
2 just keep sitting there.
3 good dog.
4. 2 more steps and your mine.
5 dang there it goes.

We go to where it was and tracked it back to it's den. there was a spot of blood in front of it, looked fairly fresh and tracks going down into the den. I left and never been back, but to this day I could find it if I wanted to.

t/c223encore.

Back