best way to kill a skunk without getting sprayed

Lifting a skunk off the ground to keep it from spraying does not work. The skunk will grab back feet with front feet in order to arch his back. Then the spray begins.

Randy

yeah a lot of ol timers said that you could go up and grap them by the back legs and pick them up. But lots of them had very big smiles on their face :rolleyes: . So you go ahead and try it for us

i heard of a fail safe way to do this,,bring the skunk into the house and put him in the living room, then as you let him out of the cage drop kick him against the wall,,,p.s i never tryed this but i was told it works think a charm,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wow, after reading all those responses I'm convinced that trappers either have the best sense of humor or are the cruelest practical jokers on the planet. LOL Sucks to be gullible around here! I, myself prefer AKwolfer's method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Very cost effective and no special equipment to fail in cold weather. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My friend told me to put a blanket over the trap and slide part of a cardboard box under it. Then take it to the lake or a pond and set your trap where it's deep enough to drown the skunk but where you can still grab your trap after the skunk is dead. I haven't tried it yet but I think it would work.

You can make your own syringe pole from 3/4 in conduit just duct tape the plunger of the syringe to end so it is straight and can slide through the cage wire I made mine 8' long and use acetone 10-15 cc and a hog needle if possible wait until second day in trap to dispatch the skunks they are calmer hit them about two inches behind front shoulder takes about 10 -20 seconds to go down.

My grandad always used a length of flexible tubing that fit his pickup exhaust pipe, then routed exhaust into the trap (his were solid-walled not wire) to asphyxiate them. I don't recall any every spraying. Of course, with the price of gas these days the syringe and acetone is probably cheaper!

Sounds like you would be wise to put a thick trash bag around the trap and drown it in some water, if you don't have a needle laying around handy like some of these guys.

On a side note, some of these answers are very funny. Based on the price for the hide, and the risk, i am not sure that it would be worth messing with it..

I have smelled skunk essance (ONCE) and it's just not worth messing with for that price. Dead skunk stinks bad enough, but the spray up close like that usually causes vomiting for most people. (for good reason)

I killed several with a 6 foot syringe with 2 ccs of rubbing alcohol right behind the shoulder.As soon as they go out give em another 2 cc quick.they dye very fast and dont spray.

Stand back 20 feet and shoot it. You wont get sprayed on. If your saving the pi$$ I dont know what to tell you.Skunks have been very rare around here over the years. I use to catch 10 a season. Now I am lucky to catch 1 every 5 years.

Back