Gunwerks rifles??

Some people just want to drink the Kool-Aid. They watch those guys every week and see them make some impressive shots on game. They hear them talk about how easy and user friendly their products are and people think 10 grand will instantly make them a long range pimp.

After watching a lot of their stuff on youtube and on their tv shows about their whole shooting system... I will stand up for them... because they are putting together a package combo of a quality rife, a quality scope, and a quality rangefinder that will allow the average guy to learn how a long range setup really works, and how this same guy can learn to become proficient at ranges he never thought possible before. Yes... they are costly...but heck... I've seen guys waste that much money on stupid golf carts.

If your 20 years old and want a 20 year old Beautiful Blonde... then there is hope to get it done by yourself...but if your 68 years old... then you might have to buy her.

If a guy has the money to buy something so custom that it gives him HOPE to experience shooting at ranges never thought possible before... then WHY BASH HIM for it... leave him alone and let him be FREE to enjoy something for the first time. It may not make him a 1200 yd shooter over night, but the equipment will have the potential and he may become the shooter he never thought possible.

Go ahead Buddy... drink the Kool-Aid... it's not a arm, a finger, an ear, or a leg...
it's just MONEY... ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN.

When you compare the Black Rain rifle to the Gunwerks rifle, I think I would go Black Rain. Add a NF optics to the mix and still have about 4 grand left over.
Maybe use it for LR shooting school!

i know them personally and they are top notch,but they are expensive like everything else.if you can and want to go for do it or just get the range finder and a good gun of your own and square the action and work the trigger build some loads that shoot under half a min. and go from there.i have a sendero in 300 ultra mag that shoots out to 1500yds. when i get the wind right.so you don't need an expensive gun. but you do need a good scope and reloads.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: kyotekiller25

Oh well, to each there own I guess, cant fix stupid
smile.gif

Yep, you're right about that.
I know guys that'll pay 10 grand for an ATV, or 40 grand for a dang bass boat.
Geez.
rolleyes.gif

I don't think my sarcasm came across as I intended.

Folks have every right to buy whatever makes them happy.
Calling somebody stupid for doing that is about as stupid as it gets.

Dan Brothers covered the subject very well.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: dan brothers

If a guy has the money to buy something so custom that it gives him HOPE to experience shooting at ranges never thought possible before... then WHY BASH HIM for it... leave him alone and let him be FREE to enjoy something for the first time. It may not make him a 1200 yd shooter over night, but the equipment will have the potential and he may become the shooter he never thought possible.

it's just MONEY... ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN.

Last edited:
Not to say they aren't top notch guys but seems as soon as someone gets a little TV time, their product goes to the top of the pile and they prices follow. I have a club member that builds and installs muzzle breaks. His prices are stupid high but he builds airplane parts and he's just that good. Really?? My smith is 70 plus years old, retired machinist, works in a small barn. He will install a break on your rifle for under a hundred dollars and usually, while you wait. He recrowns the barrel, threads and contours the break while you stand there and visit with him. His policy, if it don't work, I'll fix it, no charge. He has all the business he can stand and more and his prices are fantastic. He has built several rifles for me and my friends and all are excellent shooters. He's just not famous. He is for sure a stand up guy!!

Right on FW. I was going to have to speak up about the 10K ATV, that's real easy to do (and my polaris isn't anywhere near the fanciest model).

All I can say is I wouldn't dream of spending that kinda money on one rifle setup, but I won't bash somebody who does. I know people that spend six figures on safari hunts to Africa and the subsequent taxidermy and others who deer hunt in $8000 tower blinds. When you think about how much some guys spend on exotic hunting trips etc, a 10K rifle doesn't sound so out of this world.

If someone wants it and can afford it, more power to them.

i used to race off road, baja and such. there were some guys that were naturally talented and could really drive. there were other guys that no matter how much they raced, or how hard they tried, they could never win, or even come close. most of the guys that never won would get new cars all the time, bigger and bigger horse power, better and better suspension, but they still could never win. to those guys it was never them, in their minds it was always the equipment. if only they had the best equipment, then they could win. problem is, the talented drivers could take just about any race worthy vehicle and win with it.

some people who can't shoot, assume that if they just had a better rifle, then they too could shoot great.
having better equipment makes it easier, but if you don't have the skills, then you don't have the skills.

if you want to spend $10k on a rifle, go for it. if you enjoy it, that is all that matters.

Originally Posted By: 6724i used to race off road, baja and such. there were some guys that were naturally talented and could really drive. there were other guys that no matter how much they raced, or how hard they tried, they could never win, or even come close. most of the guys that never won would get new cars all the time, bigger and bigger horse power, better and better suspension, but they still could never win. to those guys it was never them, in their minds it was always the equipment. if only they had the best equipment, then they could win. problem is, the talented drivers could take just about any race worthy vehicle and win with it.

some people who can't shoot, assume that if they just had a better rifle, then they too could shoot great.
having better equipment makes it easier, but if you don't have the skills, then you don't have the skills.

if you want to spend $10k on a rifle, go for it. if you enjoy it, that is all that matters.

Sounds exactly right to me.

As long as the guy isn't spending YOUR money for what HE wants, why should you worry about it unless it's just your own personal insecurity about "keeping up with the Joneses" showing? I have a good friend who spends what to me is ridiculous sums of money for old baseball cards. It's not for me, but it makes him happy.

Same with these rifles for those who want to buy one. It's not my money so why worry?

Originally Posted By: longrange454My opinion. Shooting an Elk at 1200 yds. is not hunting. It's killing.

What's the distance where it stops being one, and becomes the other?

I've never been into long range shooting for hunting purposes, but it seems to be a fairly popular game in this day and age. To each their own.

The truth is, no matter what equipment is used, one man's effective range might be 1200 yards and the next man's might be 300 yards. Based purely on individual skills.

back in 2000 before it was the craze, i was pretty good with my 50 bmg. i had an antelope tag that year and figured shooting the antelope with the 50 would be pretty cool. i was sighted zero at 800 yards with surplus military ammo, and closer to 900 with some FN incendiary ammo. during the summer preceding the antelope hunt i fired around 700 rounds through the rifle at ranges from 600 to 1500 yards, a softball sized rock at 800 was not safe. my buddy that spotted for me while practicing went with me to hunt. i believed his calling of all my shots.

after shooting at a few antelope and not putting one down, i finally saw one of the bullets blow hair off one. the range was 900 yards, the first bullet just grazed the top of the back removing hair. while the animal was still standing there, i put another bullet 2" to the side of the first one, then the animal took off. i knew i had hit it, so i followed it as it ran with the herd. while running at an unknown distance (later ranged to be 1280 yards), i fired again. this time the animal peeled out of the herd and laid down. i closed the gap to about 150 yards and then fired again, this time aiming about 4.5 feet low. that bullet killed the animal with the bullet going through the neck.
i still have the hide, the first two bullets took a channel of hair out off the back directly above the shoulder, the third punched the animal at the back of the rib cage damaging the liver.

in the weeks after the hunt, i came to the realization that though my spotter had called misses on 3 or 4 occasions, that i had probably hit all of them. he called misses after seeing the bullet hit the ground hundreds of yards behind the animal. despite the bullet being 1/2" in diameter and weighing about 1/10 of a pound, no energy was imparted to the animal.

at the longer distances, there is a great likelihood of poor bullet performance, poor shot placement, and in my case, a great possibility of failure to determine a hit. the great distance also makes it difficult to immediately track the animal and finish it.

i thought i was quite a "hunter", and quite capable with my equipment. after that hunt, i have never tried to kill an animal over 600 yards. it IS unethical, even if you can do it.

i have also heard of many stories of the BOW guys and others losing numerous animals while "hunting". everyone will eventually lose an animal, but a hunter's responsibility is to quickly and humanely kill their quarry. to achieve that end, a hunter should use his abilities to increase his odds of a quick clean kill. that includes actually hunting (getting close enough that misses are almost non-existent), and being as proficient as possible with their tools.

Last edited:
There's a local company that went to he shot show this year. They work out of thatcher az the owners name is Brent Jacobs . They'll build you a rifle for 7500, no scope or load developement jut a piece of paper with a group on it. Try sell to a lot of the higher up in the mine come bunya time. I honestly don't think 9200 is bad considering all you get compared to some

Originally Posted By: pyscodoghow shooting east will be different than shooting west, never sight your rifle in shooting north or south.

If you sight in to the east, and then you need to correct you scope when you check it to the west... What other direction can you shoot to make sure your scopes right
scared.gif

Are you sure he was a real person; or just an orb of all that is the "internet"????

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: longrange454My opinion. Shooting an Elk at 1200 yds. is not hunting. It's killing.

What's the distance where it stops being one, and becomes the other?

1199 yards is the cutoff. Pretty black and white really.

I've shot 6 Elk in my life. 5 with my 06 and 1 with my 454 Casull. Longest shot was 275 yds. What I'm saying is put the sneak on them and make it a fair game. Elk are a majestic animal in my book. I guess that's why I feel the way i do about them. White Tail, Coyote, Wolves, P Dogs well that's a different game. I'm still striving for that 200 yd. kill on a White Tail with my 454 Casull.

Originally Posted By: 6724back in 2000 before it was the craze, i was pretty good with my 50 bmg. i had an antelope tag that year and figured shooting the antelope with the 50 would be pretty cool. i was sighted zero at 800 yards with surplus military ammo, and closer to 900 with some FN incendiary ammo. during the summer preceding the antelope hunt i fired around 700 rounds through the rifle at ranges from 600 to 1500 yards, a softball sized rock at 800 was not safe. my buddy that spotted for me while practicing went with me to hunt. i believed his calling of all my shots.

after shooting at a few antelope and not putting one down, i finally saw one of the bullets blow hair off one. the range was 900 yards, the first bullet just grazed the top of the back removing hair. while the animal was still standing there, i put another bullet 2" to the side of the first one, then the animal took off. i knew i had hit it, so i followed it as it ran with the herd. while running at an unknown distance (later ranged to be 1280 yards), i fired again. this time the animal peeled out of the herd and laid down. i closed the gap to about 150 yards and then fired again, this time aiming about 4.5 feet low. that bullet killed the animal with the bullet going through the neck.
i still have the hide, the first two bullets took a channel of hair out off the back directly above the shoulder, the third punched the animal at the back of the rib cage damaging the liver.

in the weeks after the hunt, i came to the realization that though my spotter had called misses on 3 or 4 occasions, that i had probably hit all of them. he called misses after seeing the bullet hit the ground hundreds of yards behind the animal. despite the bullet being 1/2" in diameter and weighing about 1/10 of a pound, no energy was imparted to the animal.

at the longer distances, there is a great likelihood of poor bullet performance, poor shot placement, and in my case, a great possibility of failure to determine a hit. the great distance also makes it difficult to immediately track the animal and finish it.

i thought i was quite a "hunter", and quite capable with my equipment. after that hunt, i have never tried to kill an animal over 600 yards. it IS unethical, even if you can do it.

i have also heard of many stories of the BOW guys and others losing numerous animals while "hunting". everyone will eventually lose an animal, but a hunter's responsibility is to quickly and humanely kill their quarry. to achieve that end, a hunter should use his abilities to increase his odds of a quick clean kill. that includes actually hunting (getting close enough that misses are almost non-existent), and being as proficient as possible with their tools.

Bet your results would have been different with a bullet better for hunting.

Back