Introducing the Mojo “Critter” to South Texas Critters

hm1996

Staff member

Deer season is over, exotic hunts are slowing down and the ranch owner wants us to continue working on the coyote population, which seems to have spiked this year. This is probably due to a combination of the drought drawing coyotes from surrounding ranches that do not have the game density that call this 11,000 acre ranch home. Another plus is the freshly roller chopped pastures makes spotting them a lot easier, as well as attracting neighboring coyotes & birds of prey to feast on “road kill” produced by the Cat.

35553661050_56acb03b64_c.jpg

35809904201_cac324d514_c.jpg

35942215675_95beb6f6fc_z.jpg

35319398520_41f907c602_c.jpg

I recently posted an easy fix for the Mojo spike
and was asked to update as to how it worked. Not only did the improved spike work as anticipated, the four legged critters seemed impressed during its three day maiden voyage.

By 4 o’clock Saturday afternoon, we had put our gear in the bunk house, loaded the jeep and were en route to an outer ranch fence which has produced well for us earlier in the year. This fenceline is grown up w/thick brush & runs five miles from a main gate before making a 90* turn toward camp. It is different than most ranch borders, as there is about a 40’ mowed shoulder between the road and heavy brush. Main problem is finding a gap in the heavy brush big enough to get the jeep hidden. The first stand was a blank so we moved a mile or so down the road.

The second stand failed to produce so I gave a short pup distress at 25 min. mark and had sat about 5 minutes when a coyote came through the fence about 100 yards from the call. He spotted the critter, ran across the road and made a beeline for it, holding close to the brushline. He was followed by two more coyotes. They ran behind a point of trees about 75 yards out, disappearing for a moment. I barked twice as the lead dog re-appeared, but failed to stop him for the shot. My partner was ready, however and knocked him down w/a 55 gr. HP from his 22-250. A second coyote, barely visible behind the protruding tree made a very low growling/bark as he stared at the decoy, but wouldn’t step clear of the tree to present a shot.

The next morning, we found lots of sign on a power line right-of-way and set the call and decoy crosswind on a small sandhill about 75 yards out. My partner set up about 30-40 yards farther to my right. Five minutes into the stand, two coyotes came in hot just to the right and beyond the call. I was about to bark to try and stop them when the lead dog stopped to inspect the decoy a bit closer. I fired and the coyote dropped to the 87 gr. Hornady HP out of Dtech 243 WSSM. While concentrating on the lead coyote, I had lost sight of the 2nd coyote, so hit the kiyi in hopes of calling it back. A minute or so later, my partner’s 22-250 accounted for the other one.

After my partner recovered his coyote, he asked if I had shot at the first one. He told me that he had also fired and thought he heard two impacts. We had both spined the first one right above the shoulder. As it turned out, both were females, probably a mother and one of her last year’s offspring.

37914311466_29411cccef_c.jpg

It was slow Sunday evening until the last stand. Set up again w/call crosswind farther down the power line. Within ten minutes I noticed my partner raise his rifle. Looking in direction he was aiming, I spotted the head of a coyote peering out of the weeds. I got on it, but held off since he had spotted the coyote first. I saw it drop like a rock at his shot. We decided to finish that stand before recovering his coyote but had no more takers. When we went to pick up his coyote at dusk, we found nothing! I’d have sworn it was a good hit as I’ve never seen one go down any quicker. Other than a solid hit knocking him down, the only other explanation I can think of is a really close miss right over his head. He must have ducked from the sonic crack of the bullet passing very close by!????

A norther blew in about 10 PM Sunday with winds to 45 mph. Not sure when the wind died, but it was almost calm when we left camp thirty minutes before first light. Monday was a very long day, as we hunted all day without a single response.

We had to leave by 9:30 Tuesday morning but had time for two or three stands. First two were uneventful except for this young Nilgai cow which spotted the “critter” before I had a chance to start calling. She cautiously approached to within 15-20’ of the critter
39106118012_ba6fb29133_c.jpg
before satisfying her curiosity and trotting back into the brush.

Having only enough time for a short third stand, we were driving east, along the north fenceline when I spotted a coyote trotting north and crossing the road about 500-600 yards ahead of the jeep. He had crossed the fence onto the next ranch near one of our favorite calling spots. I didn’t think he had seen us so turned off the fenceline onto a parallel road about 100 yards away. Just as we turned onto the parallel road, another coyote trotted across that road, also headed north, no more than 150 yards away. I suspected that it was the first coyote’s partner and they were headed back to their core area for a mid-day siesta. This coyote never turned to look our way either, so we decided to set up as quickly as possible and hope to call it back for a shot.

I set up our chairs on the south end of a strip of brush which ends at our north fence. There is a mowed strip about 100 yards wide which adjoins a larger block of brush that also runs all the way to the north fence. While I positioned our chairs & shooting sticks, my partner placed the call & decoy about 35 yards southeast of us, slightly cross wind (call is located to right of the feathers on arrow, which indicates wind direction).

38257618075_2e1042376e_z.jpg

The wind could have busted us if the coyote was still between us and the fence but we hoped he had already crossed the fence and that turned out to be the case. Almost immediately upon first note of the rabbit distress, the coyote ran back through the fence into our pasture and hightailed it toward the decoy. I barked as soon as he was clear of the fence and brush line and shot as he slid to a stop (at point of white arrow in front of scope). He dropped where he stood and my partner turned and again asked, “Did you shoot?” I replied in the affirmative and he said he had seen the fur fly when he shot. Once more we had fired simultaneously, resulting in a very dead coyote. Neither of us heard the other’s shot.

Really happy with the "critter"; biggest problem was trying to stop the running coyotes for a shot once they spotted the decoy, but hey, I can live with that kind of problem!
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

1689.gif

Well done Sir! Good read with great pics to boot, love it- God Bless TX !

" Really happy with the "critter"; biggest problem was trying to stop the running coyotes for a shot once they spotted the decoy, but hey, I can live with that kind of problem! smile " +1 Amen, MOJO Owns it !
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yotecatslayer34 Amen, MOJO Owns it

Originally Posted By: Smokeater5Nice job. I also use the critter and have had great success with it. I have been sold on them for a while.

Have used another very popular decoy for several years with good results, but every coyote that spotted the Mojo came in fast! Another thing I noticed is that it seems to catch various animals' attention even during silent periods. Perhaps due to the faster motion???

While I have had nilgai notice other decoys, have never had one come right up to a decoy.

Looking forward to see how the next cat will react.

Regards,
hm

I've had bobcats and coyotes come running right up to it and attack it. Its fun to watch until you realize they are gonna tear it apart then it's time to drop the hammer. I used to use the primos version and it worked well too but I like the MOJO better. I've had owls, hawks, raccoons....many different animals attack it. I was hunting a levee around some timber and had 2 hawks and one huge owl attack it at the same time. I was afraid they were gonna take off with the tail portion of it.

The only thing that ever attacked my old decoy was a javelina that grabbed the top but fortunately (for him) spit it out just as I flicked the safety on my rifle. Later had a kestrel or small hawk made a couple of passes, then grabbed the topper and turned the whole thing over. Wouldn't ya know, the camera was in the jeep.

Have a smaller camera that's with me at all times now and looking forward to some closer encounters w/the Mojo.

Regards,
hm

I need to start carrying a camera with me all the time. You see some very interesting things while predator hunting and the camera on the phone just doesn't do them justice. I've had Bald Eagles check it out too and that was really cool. I guess if the eagle took it, I was just gonna have to order a new part. Lol! I think I will start carrying a camera this year and see what I can get pictures of. I'm always telling my wife about the cool things I saw that day.

Great write up! I always enjoy seeing how other folks set up and call, always trying to learn a new trick or two. I think at some point a decoy will be in my future.

Originally Posted By: Mr Potato HeadYou sure have some interesting critters besides coyotes down there.

Yes, I'm indeed blessed to help w/ADC on several large ranches that have lots of exotics in addition to the indigenous species and on which the owners take predator control very seriously.

Originally Posted By: Smokeater5I need to start carrying a camera with me all the time.

You will find that A camera increases your enjoyment of the outdoors immensely. My most memorable regrets mostly resulted from leaving my camera in the jeep because it was just too large to bother with on some stands. Invariably that's the stand where you see something that "you have never seen before".

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX I think at some point a decoy will be in my future.

A decoy is definately beneficial, especially when teaching your daughter to hunt; as I'm sure you are aware, youngsters tend to get a bit restless on stand
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Mr Potato Head You sure have some interesting critters besides coyotes down there.

In that regard, I had booked a Gemsbok hunt this past Thursday on one of the ranches where we hunt coyotes so decided to do a little calling the evening before and morning after the Gemsbok hunt. Had a great hunt; got a gemsbok & called some predators (will try to write more on that when not so pressed for time), This very unlikely critter responded to Snowshoe Rabbit 3 Friday morning and was really interested in the Mojo.

This Gemsbok cow came out near the end of the green brush on right side of above picture and proceeded cautiously down the road with her attention glued to the critter. She'd stop every 25 yds or so and study the decoy, eventually coming within 20 yds.

You just never know what will come to the call on these ranches and most seem to be really attracted to the "critter".

Regards,
hm

Back