Crows help defeat boredom

IAyoteHNTR

Our crow season ends March 31 so I decided to hang out in my hunting area the last few weekends and see if any crows were dumb enough to land within 300 yards of me while I was sitting in the truck parked out near my tree stand and I've had a few unfortunate ones decide to test their fate the last few weeks. Here's one that decided to land in a tree about 200 yards out when I had my Savage 6BR with me.

2014-03-15191733_zps0b3c9783.jpg

I've had a few more that tested their fate while I had my 6X45 with me and the 70gr Sierras did a nice job on a few of them as well, I just didn't bother walking out to get them to take pics. I smoked one about 150 yards out and another one about 175 yards out so I'm pretty pleased with the accuracy of the 6X45.
cool.gif

I'm sure I'll be out this w/e as well for a few hours and I might even get my crow decoys out and take out the caller and see how many I can get to come in. I should have my new 20 Practical upper and a few rounds loaded up for it using some 32 and 40 grain ballistic tips and at 3800-4000fps they should do a number on them crows if I can connect.
thumbup1.gif

I got my 1st blood with my new toy (20 Practical) today. Here's what happens to a crow at around 180-185 yards when it gets hit dead center with a 32gr ballistic tip going about 3800fps.

2014-03-27154008_zps4890a291.jpg

The new 20 Practical strikes again!
thumbup1.gif

2 more crows this morning. 1st one just under 150 yards out, the 2nd one over 250 yards out.
thumbup.gif

2014-03-30070720_zps3d7fa750.jpg

I went back out later in the morning just before noon and cranked up the foxpro and cranked out some of my crow sounds and I got a few to fly in/around me but they were all staying way out there away from me, I think they're getting wise to my ways out there. After a while I did hear a crow cawing time and time again and it took me a while to figure out where he was. He was sitting halfway up in a huge oak tree a loooong ways out there. I found him in my scope and watched him for several seconds and I grabbed the rangefinder and shot it at the base of the tree and it read 355 yards. I then grabbed my phone to look at the Nikon Spot-On Ballstics Match app since I had it already set up for the load that I was shooting and it told me the bottom of the first circle on the reticle was for 345 yards. The wind was blowing pretty good but it was coming out of the S/SE and I was aiming to the N/NW so I figured I might have a chance to make the shot not having to hold off for windage at all. There was a large group of trees a few hundred yards behind the big oak that the crow was in so I felt it was a safe shot to take. Here's a pic of the big oak from where I was shooting. It's the BIG one right in the center of the pic, I edited the pic to zoom it in for this pic............

497bd48c-8f07-4fb0-a2c8-122a4c18b7cb_zps66a885eb.jpg

And here's the original pic (from my phone) with no editing............

2014-03-30131717_zps0617dd52.jpg

So I held as steady as I could and put the crow centered at the bottom of the first circle in the scope and squeezed off the shot. I saw the crow tumble to the ground. I then realized I just pulled off the best shot I've ever made on any type of critter!
thumbup.gif
I took the long walk over to the bottom of the tree and sure enough, there he was................

2014-03-30130912_zps6a8b9141.jpg

Needless to say I am completely LOVING this new 20 Practical upper!
tt1.gif

And here's the 3 crows so far for the day.............

2014-03-30134319_zps83da13be.jpg

Back