What kind of gloves do you wear when skinning your coyotes

I agree about the sharp knife. The organisms are definitely there however.

Colorado Alan, I did order some 12", Nitrile 6 mill gloves from Gemplers. $13.40 + shipping.

Thanks for the tip. 12" should cover the old wound and give me a little peace of mind when I'm working with something. The glock shoots great by the way.

Thanks to all that have responded.

Pack

Last edited:
leather driver gloves, I tried cotton several seasons, too slippery unless they have rubber on them. I would set bare handed if weather permitted or if my skin could handle it.

Nitrile only....i hate vinyl gloves and cheapy latex gloves.

Dishwashing gloves are ok...just get the right size or they will compact your hand and are painful to use.

Try the black nitrile ones (heavier duty) from Harbor Freight. More expensive though.

...to those who don't wear gloves....better safe than sorry...and I have heard of many trappers with occasional odd...infections. (mainly from skinning bobcats). Look up raccoon roundworm on the internet...no sandwich eating during coon skinning!!!!!!!! ugh.

Last edited:
lol, oops I goofed, I wear leather trapping! lol I use a thick green chem glove to hold my knife and blue medical nitrile for the left hand, the one I pull with. I used surgeons gloves for many yrs, the nitrile are much better, lil bit tougher

Send off to Mckenzie taxidermy supply, they have some nice Kevlar gloves so you wont get cut and they have good feel. Made just for taxidermists for skinning.

I buy the big box of gloves from the pharmacy in Costco.. They seem to be tougher than most of what you guys are talking about.. I can skin 4 or 5 on a single pair.. I also got a small jar of peanut butter and saved the jar to hold the gloves in a cup holder in my truck. This way i have a jar of the gloves that will last even when i am out hunting for 3 days or more straight.

However, i went through several pairs on a bobcat, since the claws were brutal. I just start by cutting off the feet first (cutting the front legs off at the first joint above the paws), then you don't have to worry about the nails, nothing else, usually is an issue.

Just live with the fact that you'll go through a few. Sometimes I don't use them and then just clean up with baby wipes and hand sanitizer afterwards- especially if its really cold and I'm in a hurry.

i grew up skinning stuff in the woods to eat and eating it there. there was never anything to clean my hands with and i never used gloves. skin it. wash my hands and knife off in the creek the best i can. maybe find a rock in the water with moss on it to scrub with. then cook and eat it. i been cut a lot while skinning all kinds of things. if im at the house i will use latex gloves. big box for cheep. but i have to grab harder when wearing gloves and that kills my hands

The best gloves I ever used were Biogels . . . a local vet had gone out of business and gave me his leftover boxes. They are fairly thick and blade resistant without giving up sensitivity, and best of all your hands don't sweat a bit in them. They also keep a good grip on slick knife handles when dealing with fattier critters. The downside is they are EXPENSIVE, so I have not used them since. I would definitely recommend them though for folks who have a serious concern or need to wear good gloves while handling their harvest.

Not all nitrile gloves are created equally. I usually don't wear gloves for skinning, but I do wear nitrile gloves for a LOT of other purposes - professional and personal. Some seem about as effective as a glove made from dry leaves.

I have had the same problem for years with the cheap gloves and last year I found one called Venom and has a Black Widow on the box and they last all day it seems. I use them for skinning, lure making, trap work, auto work etc, now no glove will stand up to auto work for long but I can change the oil in two to three vehicles before they bust.I found them at Lowes.

Back